Author Topic: The early Marlin 336 "waffle top".  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
The early Marlin 336 "waffle top".
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
My first ever deer rifle was a Marlin 336 in .30-30 caliber. I purchased it just out of high school while working at a local K Mart where I lived. The K Mart had a sporting goods section in the store and I usually spent every spare moment there when either on lunch or break. I put the rifle on lay-a-way and paid it out over several months. I sold that rifle several years later just prior to getting out of the service because I wanted to buy a car. After that the Marlin lever action pretty much took a back seat to my other firearm interests until a few years ago.

I came across an early Marlin 336A that caught my eye at a local gun show that I thought I should acquire. After getting it home and cleaning it up I did some research on the early Marlin 336 rifles and discovered that between the years of 1948-1952 the Marlin 336 rifles became affectionately known as the "waffle top" due to the squiggly line roll marking on the top of the receivers. I discovered they made three different models and decided I would attempt to collect at least one of each of the models. They of course would have to be what was considered as being "unmolested" (not D&T for a scope). It took about two years of looking and I was able to achieve my goal.

Here is a photo of my current Marlin 336 unmolested "waffle top" rifle collection. All but one has had receiver sights. I have one for each year beginning with 1948 and going to 1952. The three models are top two 336A, middle one 336SC, and bottom two 336RC.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: The early Marlin 336 "waffle top".
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:50:54 PM »
My Good Lou
Thank s for he eye candy!
The top two are really catching my eye. as I achieve more mature and sophisticated tastes I am becoming enamoured with the long barrel half magazine lever rifles, especially with peep sites!
Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com