Author Topic: CAS Clinic  (Read 1464 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CAS Clinic
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
Yesterday we had a CAS Clinic at our club range. The day before, we had to shovel through 2 -1/2' of snow to access the Cowboy bay and clear a space to shoot from.
Seventeen people were expected, 15 showed and 13 actually partook of the training and shot on a stage; including a grandfather and his 11 year-old grandson. We used to occasion to holster train some already active shooters who never had the benefit of any formalized training, learning everything the hard way.
The kid was a better shot than his Grand Dad, having already fired 9mm Glocks and other handguns. He is well and truly hooked and Grand Dad will be drawn into the sport through him, I'm sure.

Once again, I am of the opinion that it is well nigh impossible to teach a middle-aged man anything about shooting. He's seen the movies and has been watching TV westerns since he was a kid. The biggest obstacles were to get them to accomplish a straight finger draw, acquire the trigger and front sight at the same time and COCK WITH THE LEFT THUMB. Re-holstering presented the usual problems.
After constant drilling and dry firing under supervision, most reverted to losing the shooting grip on the gun to cock the hammer. This was utilizing the modified Weaver or isoceles position, both options being demonstrated. These guys were a long way from "Duellist".
Sure enough, on the outdoor range, everything taught to them went out the window and they cocked with the right thumb, until reminded to do otherwise. One daring individual elected to shoot with one paw - for the first three misses until he decided that hitting was more fun than missing. Shooting on the clock is a lot different than paper punching slow fire. They got a good grounding in all the basics and the advice to spend some time in front of a mirror analyzing their own actions.

I wish we had at least one woman in the class as she would have done as directed and had no problems, outshooting the men handily. They don't have bad habits or preconceived notions about gun handling to unlearn. Pity. Maybe next time .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com