Author Topic: Question about Shotguns  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about Shotguns
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:51:21 AM »
I have a question about the shotgun aspect of the competition.  I have a Ruger Vaquero and I am trying to get the other guns needed to compete in CAS.  I was just wondering if a single shot shotgun would work in competition until I get myself a double barrel.  I have a 12 ga. single shot shotgun that is atleast sixty years old if not older.  I haven't had it out in a LONG time.  So, I can't remember if it has an exposed hammer, but I am pretty sure that it does.  It belonged to my Grandfather and then to my Father.  Now it is mine.  I don't know if my Grandfather bought it new or if was his Fathers.  It has at least a 30" barrel on it, and I would hate to have it shortened.  But, I would if I need to have it done to compete.

Why is that all of the older shotguns kick like a mule.  I have a 12 ga. pump that I shoot a good bit with.  The gun I mentioned above is the only gun that has ever put me on the ground when I shot it.  Of course I was a kid when I shot it last.  But, it has left an impression on me that I will never forget.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Question about Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:14:11 PM »
I believe you can use it... if it's an exposed hammer and does not eject the hull ... an extractor is OK.
Even hammereless Doubles are legal  ( I would think a hammerless single would be also )
Singles were common in the Old west era.
And there is no need to butcher it , It's just that a shorter barrel is handier.

Of course it is a bit slower in multi shot stages than a Double, so there no advantage there.
Your most likely just going to local club shoots. So the national gamer events arn't an issue either.
I say go ahead use Gramp's gun... later when your skill , persona and pocket agree get what you like a Double, or 97 ...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »
Thanks Major for the information.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:22:30 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »
Where ya plannin' on shootin', Reb?
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 02:18:47 PM »
For the SASS Handbook:
"SHOTGUN REQUIREMENTS
Any side-by-side or single barrel shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860 until 1899 without automatic ejectors, with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed. Lever action, single barrel, tubular feed, exposed hammer shotguns of the period are allowed, whether original or replicas. The only slide action shotgun allowed is the Model 1897 Winchester shotgun, whether original or replicas. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of shotgun and ammunition to be used. Military configurations are not allowed (i.e., trench guns). Please see the shooting categories for further information."
Long barrels were more typical of the time period than short barrels (ie. 20").

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 06:30:38 AM »
Right now I am just looking to see what the requirements are and what I will need.  There is a group shooting in the area so I will probably shoot there. 

I looked at the shotgun last night.  It is a Harrington and Richardson.  Probably made in the 30's or 40's, but that is a guess.  It does have an exposed hammer on the shotgun.  I haven't checked it and like I said earlier it has been a long time since I shot it, but I would think it has an ejector in it.  I will have to take it out and shoot it to get the feel of it.  Plus, I would like to shoot it again anyway.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 06:39:55 AM »
You talking about shooting with the Blue Ridge Regulators in Raphine Va?

They are a great group and shoot this coming Sunday.

You should go and talk to Dig'em Deep and Bad Company, they can help you get what you need.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:11 AM »
H&R made about Bazillion of those almost forever and yep they are legal. (Silver Creek Slim posted the SASS Handbook SHOTGUN REQUIREMENTS...)
Sears and Wool-co and just about every hardware store in between sold them.
It was still common in the early 70's to see them, in K mart, probable till H&R shut it's doors.

There is a difference between and ejector and an extractor, one will completely eject the empty,
the other ( and what the H&R will have ) will lift the Hull clear enough for you to manually extract.
With some practice and a slick chamber, a flick of the wrist back, and the hull should zip right out.
That's what you want, a smooth break and flick and your ready to drop in the next shell , snap shut & boom, repeat as necessary to the stage required shotgun shots.

I was given one in the seventies, 12 Gauge, case color, 28" blue barrel , some kinda lighter color hardwood stock.
I believe they were less than a $130.

Enjoy it, It's a great way to get Dad's and Granddad's legacy out and have fun too.
For you that is memories and Style.

I personally prefer a double, I learned on my Dad's Ithaca 12 Gauge , it was old then (mid 50's) probably circa 1920's...
( I did inherit the Rem. 870 Pump ) but we are not sure what ever happened to the old Ithaca Box lock double.
These days I use a TTn Colt 1878 hammered Double ( I enjoy the memories of a double and the style of a Mule ear shotty )

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »
As far as how much it kicks, the weight of the gun has a lot to do with it.  The heavier the gun the less the kick.  Your single shot might be a nice light gun so it would kick more.  You'll probably find it works better with Win lights or Rem SST, if you can find Estate target loads like at Sportsman wharehouse they work good and cost less than the Win and Rem.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com