Author Topic: Ribbon attachments for GAF medals  (Read 8422 times)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Ribbon attachments for GAF medals
« on: September 10, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »
Looking at the attachemnts, if that is all you are purchasing, it going to cost more to ship then the attachment costs. Selecting 1 color guard bar, $1.25, plus $5.00 for shipping.

I am looking at purchasing a stock of "Color Guard" bronze & a few silver bars, bronze, gold & silver stars, "V"s, & a couple silver oak leafs.

I would provde them for $2.00 each (color guard & Vs), including shipping, if ordering other devices, $1.50 (Star, or Oak Leaf Cluster) for the first & $1.00 each for the remaining.

Any intrest in the service?

Dusty

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ribbon attachments for GAF medals
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »
Dusty, Yes I am interested. When do you want/need the order and payment? Thanks, Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
I have placed an orders already for the different devices. I am hoping to have them at the National Muster, where I can provide them for cost, without shipping.

Vs & Color Guard $1.25 each, Stars .75 each.

Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:16:52 AM »

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »
Sounds good. If available I'd like one of each. Thanks for taking point on this, and I'll see you at the Muster. Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »
I would like three "V"s.
:-)

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:25:12 AM »
I would like three "V"s.

Just in case there is any confusion, only one veteran's "V" is worn on the GAF Medal.  No further distinction for number of years served, retirees, draftees, volunteers, services, etc.  It is the only device we authorize to recognize non-GAF service.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »
Currently have the following in stock.
Gold "Marksman" award x10, silver went back order
Bronze "Color Guard" x10
Silver "Color Guard" x6
Bronze "Star" x10
Silver "Star" x6
Gold "Star" x3
Bronze "V" x 10

Cost, I would provde them for $2.00 each (color guard & Vs), including shipping, if ordering other devices, $1.50 (Star) for the first & $1.00 each for the remaining. Marksman $3.75 each.

If purchased at National Muster, Vs & Color Guard $1.25 each, Stars .75 each.
Dusty

Offline MUD MARINE

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »

Thanks for the note concerning the three (3) "V"s from US Scout.  :-)

However, I need them for THREE (3) of us!   :-)

Semper Fidelis;
Mud Marine

Offline MUD MARINE

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
TRIVIA   :-)

FIFTY (50) years ago during Marine Corps boot camp, with my JDI standing on my back during prone, I shot the minimum 190 to achieve rifle "Marksman".  :-(

Rather than today's "pizza box", I was awarded the nickle "Marksman" bar. Wow, did that make me stand out as a lousy shot!  :-)

Also, later during that year, when, as a cryptanalyst, I had to qualify with the 1911A1, we received something different from today. We received the "Basic Badge". It had suspended bars with my pistol expert, bayonet, BAR and SMG qualification bars hung under the badge.

Now, all pistol and rifle badges are fancy suspended medals!  That, along with the CAR being awarded to men without having to SHOOT BACK, bloused boots, cammies worn even when not in the field, black shoes, etc. my Corps is being denigrated into a doggie look!  :-(

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
Mud Marine,
Semper Fi, Mac.  I agree the Corps has lost a lot of its uniqueness.  I'm a generation after yours, (ret. in 96) but I do remember the requirements for uniform inspections prior to liberty, and stricter regs on wearing utilities (not in the Exchange or even the Barber Shop)  Worst of all, after the 1st Gulf War, we ended up with name and "US Marines" tapes over the breast (and right hip) pockets - we referred to them as "Army Lost-and-Found" tags.  Thank Gen. Al Gray for the relaxed utility uniform regs.  It was supposed to emphasize the Corps "Force-in-Readiness" status.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 05:56:32 AM »
...Worst of all, after the 1st Gulf War, we ended up with name and "US Marines" tapes over the breast (and right hip) pockets - we referred to them as "Army Lost-and-Found" tags.  ....

When I was serving with 2nd ANGLICO in the early 80's, we did a lot of exercises with the 82nd Airborne.  At the time Marines didn't wear name tapes on our Woodland cammies and only had the Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem on our left breast pocket.  Since we were only temporarily attached to whatever Army unit we were working with they didn't know any of us and were extremely frustrated trying to remember names.  Consequently, our CO ordered us to put name tapes on at least one set of cammies.  Of course this created all sorts of problems when any senior Marine officers/NCOs saw us.

For the uninformed - the Air-Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO) provides naval air support and naval gunfire support to non-Marine units - US Army and allies such as the British, Spanish, Italians, etc).  W spent almost all our field time outside of the Fleet Marine Force.  Interesting work and a lot of fun.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF 

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »
Concerning the awarding of SOM for "placing" in a major match...does this refer to 1st Place, or any place for which an award or medal was awarded?  For example, I was awarded "2nd Place Duelist - Smokeless" at the 2007 GAF Muster.  In addition, I was awarded "Best Dressed Formal" at the 2006 Muster Banquet - does this rate an SOM?  I was never sure of this, so I never put in for it thru the GAF Awards page.

By the way, the "Best Dressed" award is on a neck ribbon, rather than a "pin-on" suspension ribbon (plus, it has a large, 2 1/4" medallion).  What would be the proper way to wear this in uniform, if at all?

GAF #301

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
Guns,

You won "Best Dressed" in a formal??? :o

Col Bull
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
Concerning the awarding of SOM for "placing" in a major match...does this refer to 1st Place, or any place for which an award or medal was awarded?  For example, I was awarded "2nd Place Duelist - Smokeless" at the 2007 GAF Muster.  In addition, I was awarded "Best Dressed Formal" at the 2006 Muster Banquet - does this rate an SOM?  I was never sure of this, so I never put in for it thru the GAF Awards page.

By the way, the "Best Dressed" award is on a neck ribbon, rather than a "pin-on" suspension ribbon (plus, it has a large, 2 1/4" medallion).  What would be the proper way to wear this in uniform, if at all?

Guns,

The policy regarding "placing" has customarily referred to 1st-3rd.  I know some major matches give placement awards much farther down but since we can't control that, we usually give credit for the first three places.  (Note: effective September 1, 2008, the SOM is no longer authorized for placing in a shooting competition after that date).

Just to be sure, this is for placing in uniform and by doing so promote the GAF.

I know that some of our earlier medals were rather large.  While I haven't posted it yet on the webpage, we have discussed it here on the Barracks.  We're going to allow a total of 4 medals to be worn on the unform, and the earlier and larger medals should be replaced by the smaller military medals.  You are authorized to wear the GAF membership medal and up to three additional medals awarded at our Musters, but no more than one per 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.  Subsequent placement awards will be designated by a star on the ribbon.  According to 19th century US military custom, there is no required placement of these medals on the "dress uniform" but we would obviously prefer the GAF membership medal to have preference - either nearest to the buttons, or over the others.

In other words, based on the above information you won a 1st for uniform and a 2nd for shooting.  If this year you were to win another 1st or 2nd place, you'd put a star on the respective ribbon.  If you were to get a 3rd, you could also wear a third place ribbon.  If you were to win the Brigade Champion award (what Maj Matt originally called the Iron Trooper) that would be worn around the neck. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »
General,
In my twisted mind, your explanation makes sense.  I had really only planned to wear the GAF Medal, with the one Match medal.

Yes, B.S., and to top it off, I was actually "Undressed"!!!*         Enjoy THAT mental image!!!

*(I was dressed as a Captain of Light Artillery, of the Mississippi Marine Brigade, wearing an officer's shell jacket, naval-style hat, sash, sword, boots, spurs, etc.  Rather than "Best Dressed-Formal", perhaps I should have been awarded "Most Dashing".)

GAF #301

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Guns,

No thanks! Lets not go there!! :o :o :o

Col Bull
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt