Author Topic: New Acquisitions - The Open Top Sickness continues....  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
New Acquisitions - The Open Top Sickness continues....
« on: April 28, 2021, 09:48:45 AM »
Well, pulled the pin and acquired two 1872 Open Tops.  One new one, 7.5" Army frame in .45 Colt, and the second a used 5.5", Navy grip in .45 Schofield with faux ivory grips.  The new 7.5 was $530, which is $60 below retail, and the 5.5" was $550.  Retail would have been $559 plus the grips, so I think I did OK.  Prices did not include shipping or sales tax, which Gunbroker now charges on all purchases.  Because of Commiefornia's Draconian laws, I can only get one in 30 days....

I ended up getting them off Gunbroker from different sellers, as they are unobtainable elsewhere.  I work part time at a local gun shop, and he can not get ANY single actions or BP revolvers. I don't mind the 5.5 inch being in .45 Schofield, as I only load/shoot Schofields.  The 4.75 and 5.5" have been out of stock since COVID started last year.  The used one being the same price as the new one is OK, as it has what looks like really nice faux-ivory grips and the Navy frame.  That one will go in my El Paso Saddlery cross draw Slim Jim.

Pics nto come.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: New Acquisitions - The Open Top Sickness continues....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:20:46 AM »
I've got a pair just like that, but in 44 Colt.  Feel better in the hand than most any SA.  They do like to pierce primers though.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 10:25:05 AM »
Congrats , you are right about the pandemic , prices are in the upper atmosphere and headed to the stratosphere.
And if you were to find one in stock, its listed & SOLD @ a premium.
You did well

Photo's 
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:49:37 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 10:32:08 AM »
It sounds like you got a good pair with decent prices, considering the market.

Looking forward to the photos.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:05:17 PM »
Yep, I think I did OK.  Our gunshop can not get any Single Actions, and very few pistols.  We will have 3 or 4 trickle in from our wholesalers every two months or so.  Yesterday we actually got from one of our distributors: 6 or 7 Glocks, 4 S&W Shields, and a couple Rugers.  largest shipment in over a year.

These will be my main match pistols, so I don't mind the used 5.5".  My Kirst 1860 will be my back up/loaner pistol as will the 1851 Kirst.  Its not that IO don't like the Kirsts, but rather I like the factory Open Top sights MUCH better.  The Piettas have small sights and hammer notches, and tend to shoot really high.  They are OK at most matches with their 24"x24" plates but our club shoots MUCH smaller targets.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:14:20 AM »
 I can understand the shortage in certain areas. Guns like AR15’s, Glocks, self defense shotguns, and certain revolvers.  But I can’t fathom the shortage in SA revolvers and niche type guns.  Most millennials and new gun owners want the polymer stuff.  Even retro firearm accessories are scarce as hens teeth. 

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 08:26:34 AM »
The pandemic devastated Italy, early on the country was the front running nation with cases & deaths .
all of the Italian industries were on lock down , add to that O exports were allowed
and what was in US Customs was also shelved....

Then of course it hit this Country and lock downs & short staff if any were imposed...
My industry , Trade Shows & industrial shows was all but extinct ( a combined multi Billion industry world wide shut down )

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »

>:(  PLUS ONE to Major 2   :(

I recently had occasion to "attempt" to do business with several importers.  Cimarron was a complete bust.  They have no stock on hand and are not maintaining their Web Site.  My lust was listed as "in stock" all winter and still is.  At a really poor way to do business.

EMF is straight up.  Everything is "Out of Stock"

Spoke to Taylor's and Co. about a rumor from last year.  The product never happened and probably never will.  Their stock is also just about Nil.

There is virtually nothing coming out of Italy right now.  ZERO.  If you don't already have it, You're not going to get it in the near term.  Just the way things are.

So: Lawman done marvelous with his two Open Top "finds."

CAUTION:  People are Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »
TL I have a similar situation with my friendly LGS.  Teds place is mostly CCW, poly & black guns as stock.

I don't work there , but I do consult when old stuff or unique unusual or rare stuff comes in....
and sometimes repair or conserve one.
They will call and give me a heads up or first refusal on cosigned pieces in my interest zone.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 11:13:54 AM »
One man's sickness is another's delight.   :)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Well, I finally received the  the 5.5 inch.  Ugh!  The metal is great.  The bluing is 100%, though the color case is very faded.  That's OK, its a shooter. 

The faux ivory grips, however, are another story.  The two halves we stuck together on the brass 1851 grip frame with window glazer's putty - seriously!!!!  the fit was abominable, with spreading and gaps all around.  When I took them off, I found they were marked "EMF DAKOTA" on the inside.  It took me over an hour to strip off all the putty, and to try resetting  it with Gorilla Glue 2 part fast dry epoxy.  I will see how it does after the 24 hour cure time tomorrow.  If that works, they need some refitting.

I have two different  one piece 1873 walnut grips I may also try to fit.

Oh well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you!

The good news is that the timing is dead on, with no drag marks on the cylinder.

The 7.5" also came, but it is new in box.  It was as nice as expected.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »
OK, the brass is bright and blued metal is great (99+%), the timing is great, and the grip is now acceptable, though I will probably replace it with a nicer set of faux-ivory like I have on my Saber River.  A clean serviceable shooter, so I won't cry.

The color case is faded on it.  Has anyone every used a propane torch to do case colors?  twenty years ago, a buddy of mine used one to do a faded BP pistol frame.  He swirled the flame, cooled, and swirled some more.  Anyone ever tried that to liven up fade color case?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 10:46:22 PM »
No, but I have used both Birchwood Casey Superblue and Brownells Dicrophan to add a little color.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 07:35:52 PM »
Well, the planets aligned.  I get my second 1872 Open top (The 5 1/2" one with faux ivory) out of Commiefornia 10 day jail on Saturday.  I got my 7.5" one with Army grip and wood grips last month.  I will have both my Open Tops to be my main match pair at the 4 day annual High Sierra Shoot Out at Railroad flat in two weeks. My 1860 Kirst Saber River will be back up, as will my 1851 Kirst .38 Colt.  Of course my Henry Mfg. 1860 Henry in .44-40 will be my rifle of choice.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »
My girls....

The 7.5" is .45 Colt/Schofield, and the 5.5" is an early one that is .45 Schofield only. Thats fine, as I only load .45 Schofield.  I can't remember the last time I loaded .45 Colt!

As you can see, the color case on the 5.5" is faint.  Action, however, feels like it has had a trigger job.  VERY sweet and super SMOOTH!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »
TL, those are just plain purty!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »
Well, the 1872s will be sharing the annual match with my latest acquisition...a 4 3/4 inch barreled 1977 vintage Colt 1873 Single Action Army in .45 Colt...  It will go nice with my 1894 Century Ltd. .44-40 and 1897 Winchester.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
Well, the 1872s will be sharing the annual match with my latest acquisition...a 4 3/4 inch barreled 1977 vintage Colt 1873 Single Action Army in .45 Colt...  It will go nice with my 1894 Century Ltd. .44-40 and 1897 Winchester.

You win the lottery ?  ;D 

Somebody getting "a or more" new guns is almost a neat as a new gun of your own ...almost ! 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »
LOL.  I literally work for store credit, 17 hours a week!  I bring home guns,, not pay checks.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 09:38:41 PM »
LOL.  I literally work for store credit, 17 hours a week!  I bring home guns,, not pay checks.

I saw where you had mention that before, sweet deal ! ...I'm just messing with you .

I don't quite have that arrangement with my LGS....but I do get 1st. dibs and often get to set my own price  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com