Author Topic: What's up with this hat?  (Read 22867 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What's up with this hat?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
Straw hats are a must in the summertime. I use them to keep my bald head from getting sunburned.

I work on them, I sell them, I hate them and refuse to wear these modern so called straw hats made of paper and painted.  Palm or light brown felt for summer.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
My wife's cousin, George Williams used to travel with Casey in his purple Caddie. George rode Saddle Broncs as well. George is a member of the PRCA HOF in Colorado Springs. In later years, he was a stunt double for John Wayne. He has a ranch in Arizona.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
A feller would need two of those hats.

One to crap in and one to cover it up with.  ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:48:10 AM »

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »

That's the one!  Looks ridiculous.
A feller would need two of those hats.

One to crap in and one to cover it up with.  ::)

I would be embarrassed to be caught crapping in one.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
One guy here wears that square taco high and tight.  Nuther one wears like this:

They justify it by this or that famous person wears one like it, the hatter has several different hats he wears, none because someone else does, but cause he likes them, he is also calling the other two lemmings. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
BTW the crown on that one is so low it sticks up above yer ears. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
 ::)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
::)

Well they tell me tall crowns look dorky, I think a hat 3/4" or more above yer ears does.   ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
Doesn't look like any of he butt cracks I'm familiar with. Think if I was going to put one on my head if call it something else.

John, I thought the Munchin Mayor wore a top hat.

Nope Arcey, I was the only one there wearing a boonie.  Mines kind of a grey color.  I wear it with what you'd call "the uniform" 'cept without the crocks.

Coroner of Munchkin City. You know, " . . . really dead, most sincerely dead."

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
Butt Cracks are sorta personal. Just like Stimey of the Little Rascals said " I don't show my ignorance to nobody".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »
Coroner of Munchkin City. You know, " . . . really dead, most sincerely dead."

RCJ

Nope, I didn't remember. Had to look it up. Yep, goofy looking hat.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
Kinda retro Flying Nun look  ;D

Lol

That seems to be popular with the dry climate cowboys of west texas- new mexico. And team ropers when they are not wearing their favorite rope makers ball cap.

Arcey that old hat was the last working hat i had.  My gray is getting some patina to it also. My Black don't get worn enough. I do have a palm just don't wear it much. You won't see me with those nun wings, ever.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
I wear a straw hat longer in the summer. The felt hats are worn after Labor Day, then back to straws about April 1.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:45 AM »
Chose the NPD K-9-ERT ball cap for the next OFSDAR shoot. I'm an alumnus, can wear it for real. CAS, straw Memorial day ta Labor day. Black felt for the others.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »
I have a collection of Athletic ball caps, college, Football, and Nascar that I wear. I wear my RGIII Redskins hat, here in the heart of Dallas Cowboy country. I also have a Texas Rangers cap(not the ball club). I also have some Masonic caps and CAF caps.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
I used to have large collection of caps....many from films I did , ABC & CBS Sports, and lot of PD departments, Racing , MGM & Universal Studios , Disney , Military , just about everything... wore them once or twice and up they went .
These hung around the ceiling in my Barn, which burned to the ground 3 years ago... :(
I still have few that just happen to be in the house ....

I do have a reshaped Guatemalan palm wide brim , these were popular with old Cracker Cowboys 1870-90 Florida.
There's a lot of shade under it.
I also have  a Union of Morrisania Baseball cap, a baseball team for the National Association of Base Ball Players late 1860's,
these two are my summer shooting lids.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
I have made more than a few hat/caps in my day.
Not the least of which were the leather Imperial German helmet known as the "Pickelhaube", (spelling) for those in reenacting wishing to do early WWI German.

At our local flea market I found a wide primed high crowned palm hat, that fit my head size.
This I turned into a Hispanic style Sombrero (spelling). With a rolled brim all around, but higher roll in the front and back.
I thought the "palm" would be cooler in the summer. I found a well made "palm" hat was not cooler, It was however, lighter than a good felt hat, and that was in the summer heat and humidity of FL. more comfortable.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
I never wear a ball cap. Never played ball either. I have a couple straw hats, but seldom wear em. I wear a brown felt hat year-round. I did pull the liner out of it one 100+ degree day at Fort Pitspitr. It's much cooler now that it can breath.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
I've gone through a few "Ball cap" periods in my days. Last time was several years ago.....wow, now that I think about it, maybe close to 10... when I had hair about as long as Arcey's, and any time I drove with the window down, I had to take off the hair tie and re-do it. So I always kept a cap in the truck. Never wore a cowboy hat until I started CAS, first one was one of those $10 hard white "straw" hats, just enough to meet the "dress code" Still just have one palm leaf and my SAW campaign hat. Tried a couple of those floppy "crushable" cowboy hats when I was riding the motorcycle to shoots, but they never looked right after rolling them up into the saddlebag the first time.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »
No cowboy hats 'til I started the CAS stuff either.

Been wearin' ball caps for years. Ever since the sun burnt the bald spot on the back of my head when I was doin' yard werk.

The booney's for shade. 'Nother plus is I ain't advertizin' no one's product for free. Wore a sailin' hat when I was racin' ballast. Similar to a booney but the brim's wider. Chin string kept it on in the convertible. It finally disintegrated. Prolly from bein' dunked in the Elizabeth River. Guess I'll be mostly wearin' 'em in the future. Gotta dermatologist appointment again Thursday – don't like visitin' dermatologists.

Found a white dress shirt with a Farm Fresh Supermarket logo embroidered on the breast at a thrift shop. Thinkin' it was a manager thing. Hadda Butterball ball cap. I'd wear 'em together 'n go ta grocery stores where I weren't known. Used ta have employees followin' ta watch what I was doin'.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com