Author Topic: 1887 Shotgun Hammer Spring Installation  (Read 819 times)

Offline Missouri Ruffian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1887 Shotgun Hammer Spring Installation
« on: April 10, 2022, 08:32:43 PM »
My 1887 is a fairly recent Chinese version.  The Hammer Pin was easy to remove, but for the life of me I can’t seem to get the hooks around the Lever Axle Pin (at least that’s where I think it goes).  Does anybody know the trick?

Thanks

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: 1887 Shotgun Hammer Spring Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 09:37:35 PM »
There are two grooves in the lever pin.  There are two prongs on the end of the spring.  Those prongs have to face the pin.  Have you got them in the right way?  I stick in the sping and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to compress the spring.  Sometimes you have to wiggle the pin a LITTLE bit back and forth or slightly rock the spring for the prongs to drop into the grooves.

Offline Missouri Ruffian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »
That’s the way I was thinking, but when it didn’t go in place as easily as it came out I was questioning.  A little more wiggly was all it needed. 

Took it apart to clean up the milling marks on the inside of the frame they were terrible. Cleaned then up with a small fine sharpening stone. Not so rough now and the lever runs much smoother.  May want to do a little more smoothing in places, but until I can get to the range a little at a time will be the rule.

Thanks for the help.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:31:23 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com