Author Topic: chopping off rear part of cylinder  (Read 1658 times)

Offline FriscoCountyWolfy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29723
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
chopping off rear part of cylinder
« on: March 07, 2022, 03:55:13 PM »
i have a couple euro style revolvers (case rim recesses into rear of  the cylinder) 
have any of you taken enough material off the outer edge to make them easier to see which is the empty chamber?

it was suggested by someone at our local shoot but they didn’t have a recomendation

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: chopping off rear part of cylinder
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 10:19:00 PM »
Howdy F C Wolfy,

Without access to a mill or lathe, I took a small, fine file and carefully filed notches to visually show the brass rims (and lack there of.) That worked for me. and I can go back and have the cylinder milled in the future.

Rev. Chase

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 02:16:51 AM »
thanks Rev Chase

I found it odd that someone was “supervising” at the loading table. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:40:07 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 08:53:12 AM »

:)  Wolfey  ;)

Yes, I have done that for folks who had been badgered by enough know-it-alls telling them there guns wern't legal.  I have also used a small sharp (new) file to just cut a small "notch" in the side of the cylinder so one can see the brass rim.

Also, had one guy get sick of a bully at a match, went back to his pick-em-up truck and got small dental mirror out of his tool box.  Asked the clown "can you see it now??"  We did eventually have to ask said bully to stay away from the loading table.

Play safe out there

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 11:47:33 AM »
Or just carry a dowel with you that you drop down the bore to show the empty chamber.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 04:05:10 PM »
thanks y'all... i honestly don't get the desire to 'supervise' the loading table (other than observing that people are being safe).

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 04:14:01 PM »
Thanks Reverend as well as Abilene

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 04:22:57 PM »
Howdy Cowboys,

I'm back. The clubs I shoot at have someone at the loading table to oversee things to keep them safe. In addition, He/She/They (whatever they identify as) ask to see sixguns to assure that the hammer is down on an empty chamber. Is that "supervising"? When a shooter has a rebated (?) cylinder that generally is hard to do unless they watch the loading process very closely. Being able to see brass helps or seeing the empty chamber roll into position as the hammer is brought to full cock and then (carefully) lowered. Am I missing something?

Rev. Chase

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 06:27:17 PM »
Howdy Cowboys,

I'm back. The clubs I shoot at have someone at the loading table to oversee things to keep them safe. In addition, He/She/They (whatever they identify as) ask to see sixguns to assure that the hammer is down on an empty chamber. Is that "supervising"? When a shooter has a rebated (?) cylinder that generally is hard to do unless they watch the loading process very closely. Being able to see brass helps or seeing the empty chamber roll into position as the hammer is brought to full cock and then (carefully) lowered. Am I missing something?

Rev. Chase
]
Theres supervising and then theres being a right royal P I T A while imposing your supervisory authority

There was a good rifle range 15 miles from my door where the tyrant in charge practiced the second method - I went once - now I drive an hour every month to a place where they are friendly safe
 These people lose us a good number of potential new shooters every year then wonder why the sport is withering away .

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 03:15:02 AM »
how does he see the empty chamber?  i know it’s there ‘cause i’m loading it. 

y’know … i’ll just shoot my vaqueros at their match.  problem solved. 

congrats on your retirement, coffin-maker. 

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 09:35:46 AM »
Loading table officer is required by SASS rules.  It can be a specific person or a fellow shooter at the loading table.  In most cases after the gun is loaded the shooter holds it up off the table and the loading table officer can see the empty space in front of the hammer.  As in all things involving humans some are twits.  I have had loading table TOs only allow one person at a time to load, that wanted to count every round going into the gun and one yo-yo that wanted to hold your ammo and hand you one round at a time.  All it really takes is to load and then quickly show the empty chamber to the shooter on your left or right.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »

:) Oh WOW Pettifogger  ;)

I hadda think "wabac" for that one.  Had a loading table dude (always wanted to "volunteer" that had that habit.  Would reach out and pick up yer ammo to hand 'em to ya one atta time.  First time he tried it with me, I whacked 'im on the back of the hand and said "don't Touche".  Next time he reached out I used the gun to hit the back of his hand.  Went off sniveling.  Didn't come back. Oh well.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 11:02:08 PM »
:) Oh WOW Pettifogger  ;)

I hadda think "wabac" for that one.  Had a loading table dude (always wanted to "volunteer" that had that habit.  Would reach out and pick up yer ammo to hand 'em to ya one atta time.  First time he tried it with me, I whacked 'im on the back of the hand and said "don't Touche".  Next time he reached out I used the gun to hit the back of his hand.  Went off sniveling.  Didn't come back. Oh well.

Play Safe Out There

Ah My Good netizens....

due to boredom and an inquiring mind, this poor demented prosletizer has to ask

"Pray tell, how  does the Loading Nazi supervise the safe loading of percussion revolvers?"

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 11:10:13 PM »
I would just check for hammer down on an uncapped nipple. 

On the subject, it is REALLY easy to check for hammer down on empty in an Colt style OT's and conversions with no top strap.   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 09:27:12 AM »

:)  Ah My Good Perfesser  ;)

Such wondrously fond memories.  I have been known to tell those all knowing "Loading Table Nazi" types, they had to "hold it up to the light" and "look down the barrel."  the confusion can be palpable.

I have also begun a "thing" some time past where I install a small ring of bright coloured thread protector in the "dead" chamber and insure I don't inadvertently charge the "dead" chamber.

Play Safe Out There

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com