Author Topic: 1851 conversion question  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Will Sellit

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1851 conversion question
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »
I have almost no experience with open tops and conversions and I have a question I hope you can help me with.
If you were getting an 1851 Navy and you could get a 2nd generation Colt 1851 converted by R&D to 38 special at their shop, with the barrel religned and gun reblued and case hardned, or a new Cimarron 1851 conversion, which one would be your choice. The R&D gun of course would be about twice of the Cimarron, but is it worth it.The gun appears to be in excellent condition.
I would be shooting the gun duelist in NCOWS.
Any comments about why you would make one of the choices would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1851 conversion question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:19:16 PM »
The R&D's are great and a lot of folks shoot them.   I have a pair of '51's in 38 that came from Traditional Effects several years ago.  They were POA and action jobs performed on them.  I think they may be out of business now, I'm not sure.  With the extra work they did cost more of course, but it was worth it.  I guess if you want to use two identical guns and money was limited, I would go with the Cimarrons, but the R&D's are really great.  In my opinion, the '51's with the 7.5 inch bl. are the most natural pointing of all the cowboy handguns and are perfect for duelist.   ;)

I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »
Will, I have an 1861 Navy Colt Conversion, which is a 2nd. Generation Colt, converted by R&D.  It is exceptional, and from a quality standpoint, nothing else compares.  If you don't mind a pretty hefty wait, then have them do the work.  If you have found one that someone has, (already converted) then BUY IT.

With all of that said, the Uberti products are of very good quality.....they are not like a Kenny Howell 2nd. Generation Colt, but they ain't shabby either.  I also have a Uberti Open Top and a Uberti Richards-Mason 1860 (both in .44), and I've got a handful of other conversions that are of different makes....

So, both options you have mentioned are good, and the R&D is worth the extra money.  It all depends on if you wish to wait or not.....
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:54 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 02:10:08 PM »
I agree with Seth and OT... I have a 1860 Sec. Gen. with R&D conversion Cyl.
I also have a Cimarron OpenTop (Uberti) which is top drawer. "Uberti products are of very good quality"

The wait would be excruciatingly long and the cost would be about $1100 (their estimate) on my gun , if I sent the 2nd. Gen. to Kenny Howell.
Remember a Second Generation BP Colt is in fact a Colt US finish Uberti.

I ordered a 2nd Model 1860 Richards  from Cimmaron I'm looking forward to.
I suppose you could get Cimmaron's Optional US finish ( that's $200 )

In the mean time, I found a USPFA Richards I'm quite fond of....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Will Sellit

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 08:22:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses.
The second generation Colt 1851 that I refererd to has already been converted at the R&D shop. In my correspondence with the seller and pictures he sent, the gun appears to be as I described above.
I had been considering a 1872 Colt or a 1860 conversion but after seeing the pictures of the 1851, I kind of fell in love. I guess my hesitation has been if the extra $400 or so was worth it over a new Cimarron.
I will be having more correspondence with the seller later today to see if I can come to a decision.
Again, thanks for your help.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 11:12:58 AM »
It's done and no waiting  :)...assuming your looking at about $500 for the Cimarron + the $400 = $900 for the 2nd gen. w conversion.
That's about what I was quoted on my own 1860.
So that's not ridiculous... and no long wait  :-\

However.... $ 900 will go a long way in buying TWO Cimarron's
and they are JUST as nice... IMO

I love my Second gen. with the Conversion Cyl. (no gate or ejector) but I think I'd go the two Cimarron's for the cost difference
and remember they are both Uberti's....

But I truly understand your delima
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 10:22:18 PM »
Actually the trick is finding the right people to help.

I got two navies and the conversion kits and then a friend who is a gunsmith to do the conversions for me.

I only had to wait 2 months for the work to be done (gunsmith friend is a machinist full time).

A gentleman I shot with recently had two new cimmarons that he had slicked - when we asked each other about $$$ - we spent close to the same amount of money.

Now my conversions are not completely refinished and I have kept the original front sight - guns hoots POA at rifle distances - so why bother with a dove tailed front sight.

But if you are patient and make some deals - you can come out for about the same money.

Of course it helped that I bought a pair of Steel framed EMF 51 Navies from a gentleman for 300.00.

PM me for Gunsmith info if interested

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
Who all does relining of the barrels?

I have an 1851 Pietta that I am thinking of converting... Maybe do a Kirst setup instead.

Not totaly sure which is the "better" solution.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com