Author Topic: Has there ever been a...?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Has there ever been a...?
« on: June 22, 2022, 05:11:02 PM »
 Has there ever been a Henry offering of a 44-40 color case 1860 carbine?

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Has there ever been a...?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:04:10 AM »

:)  Cowtown  ;)

Not that I personally know of.  The only Carbine 1860 Henry rifles I am aware of have all been Brass Rifles.  My personal example is a Brass .45 Colt.  That rifle only held 9 45 colt cases.  10 rounds only wench loaded with 45 Schofield cases using 200Gr RNFP bullets.

I have seen and worked on a couple of .44 Special Henry rifles, CCH Iron Frame full length rifles ad those are quite rare.  Never seen an Iron Frame Carbine.

Not to say Uberti never never, but I have never seen nor heard of an Iron Carbine.

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
On some forum last year, I exchanged a PM with a fellow who has an iron carbine on special order. I think it was Taylor's who had placed an order for 5 some time before covid hit, so they were not yet done. They were, though, in 45, not 44.

I handled a brass one at Taylor's last winter. They handle a little better than the 24" but they do look sawn off. I think Uberti should have used 20". The Winchester Book shows a 19" but he didn't know if it was a factory job. There is one 20" which Madis felt sure was factory.
Karl

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:36:53 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
It might could possible happen with a special order. Uberti is limited on what they can and can't do. You just have to ask if it can be built. I doubt they are even taking special orders now since the pandemic. I would assume they are still backlogged with regular orders.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 06:09:02 AM »
Theres a iron framed carbine on gunbroker right now, description says 18 ¾ barrel. The carrier is molded and looks like it'll load like a shotgun.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 08:32:19 AM »

:)  WHOAH THERE  ;)

Hadda lurk Gunbroker and have a look at that Henry.  Most interesting indeed.  The Rifle has some very interesting oddities.  To Begin, It started life as a "Martial" version with Sling mounts, the barrel sling mount having been removed.  The "Turn Shroud" has been removed when the rifle was shortened, similar to a custom Henry built in Lima, Peru in 1886, which I have copied 4 times.  It still has the Thumb Button on the follower, and appears the Carrier Block has been modded for loading from the bottom.  I see the Breach Block (bolt) as being too long??  If Central Fire it's either a conversion or a well done faque.  Moving right along, the lever is an 1873 esque item and the receiver has been modified to accept an 1873 trigger block safety.  It most definitely NOT a Winchester factory Prototype or Transitional.  Upon studying the myriad of photographs, I'd describe it as a really well conceived Hoax.

Additionally, the "original" Iron Frame Henry's were built VERY early in Henry production.  Well before the '73 Trigger Block safety and attendant lever was even a "glimmer."  I'd be betting the receiver came from one of Val Forgett's early Henry repos or a Heavily modded and antiqued Uberti.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 12:08:19 PM »
Thats what I was thinking too, Coffinmaker. The carrier looks a bit long to me. I have some pictures of that Peru henry and thought it would be cool to duplicate. Would you be able to share pictures of your rifle?

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 11:28:50 PM »

...Additionally, the "original" Iron Frame Henry's were built VERY early in Henry production...

And several experts are inclined to believe that Colt actually was contracted to build the iron frame Henry rifles in 1860!!

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 08:41:01 AM »

:)  Native Shootist  ;)

Lemmie scrounge around and see if I have some Tin Types of the Rifle.  Or make some Tin Types of the rifle.  Then I have to enlist Major 2 to post 'em to the board.  Or I could eMail 'em to ya??

:)  Fox Creek   ;)

Ah well.  Ya know an "Ex" is a Has been and a "Spert" is merely a Drip under pressure.

People are Still Contagious.   Avoid 'em

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 07:17:28 AM »
Coffinmaker. Be great if major could post them on the board for everyone too see the rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com