Author Topic: need a laugh?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
need a laugh?
« on: December 23, 2021, 12:37:26 AM »
Check out the factory engraving on this Uberti '66 over on GunBroker. The chisel work isn't bad at all, but the layout is, ah, wanting.
Karl

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: need a laugh?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »
KWK, 
You're right, the engraving is very nice.  Beyond me why they couldn't have centered the engraving within the contours of the receiver.  Maybe a little too much vino.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 10:52:10 AM »
Well, being that it is laser-engraved, there might be a number of rifles that have the same issue.  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:15:22 PM »

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
Abilene, that was my first guess, but I don't think that's laser engraving, or even hand chased laser engraving. On the factory web site, one can see the pattern cataloged. Note the work just in front of the loading gate. It's different, but a laser's work wouldn't be.

Someone posted (was it in these forums?) they read Uberti has students from an engraving school in the area do their work. If so, this kid has potential but isn't quite ready.
Karl

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
One of the photos seems to show a signature ...  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 05:14:41 PM »
I had noticed that, but I can't tell if it's the name of the engraver, a company, or a description. The second word may be Brescia, which is the region where Uberti is located.

It's possible a guy bought a rifle from Taylor's and had a lower cost engraver attempt to match a pattern offered by the factory. I think I was quoted something less than $2,000 for that pattern via the factory.

I will add the machining on that '66 is better than some I've seen locally. For one thing, all the screw head recesses in the receiver are round, no ovals.

If I knew I would get machining, engraving, and wood like that shown on the factory site, I'd be happy to pay for a custom rifle from them. As it is, I'm looking at the Japanese "Winchesters" instead. I'll keep an eye on the '66 at local stores, and if I see a good receiver, I may buy the rifle as a donor for a custom build.
Karl

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
Well, being that it is laser-engraved...

Your eye is better than mine! I wrote to the fellow I met at Taylor's last month, and he says it is laser engraved and was received from the factory two months ago.

That laser work is better than the examples shown on the Uberti factory web site. I wonder why the layout is so poorly done? On the right side, it runs right off the back of the receiver's flat, yet the rest of the pattern looks centered correctly.

Regardless, I owe you a whiskey. And another to the hand engravers in Brescia...  :-[
Karl

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »
Nade in Italy?  Nade??  Is that Italian for Made? on the pistol barrel.
King Medallion

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
I searched around the web a little further. The receiver appears to be marked Inc Bresciani, which could be short for Incisori Bresciani. If so, it could mean Brescian Engraved, or it could be the commercial engraving company of that name a few miles south of the Uberti factory.

Looking at the detail, this is better than the laser engraving shown on the Uberti factory site, which probably reflects advances in the technique, even if centering and sizing yet need work. I notice they don't try to engrave circles around the screws. The eye really picks up those when off center; see the factory site examples.
Karl

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 04:09:31 PM »
The laser engraving on Italian guns really has come a long way.  I remember about 15 years ago some Uberti laser engraved silver plated Model P's.  Just atrocious.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 10:04:53 PM »
I think it's a very nice looking rifle overall. Doesn't have that red Uberti wood finish on it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 10:49:56 PM »
I have a new observation to make.  The sides of new Yellowboys have a plastic film over them from the factory, for a few years now.  The edges you see toward the rear of the frame are of the plastic film.  I think that if that film were removed it would look a lot better. 

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 09:31:19 PM »
Ah, yes, that film. I've made a mistaken observation here before on that.  :-[  They use the same film on the Henry as on the '66. I, uh, once thought one I saw a Henry which had a filled in loading gate. (Very embarrassing, that one.)

The film would explain the left side near the wrist, but it still looks to me the end of the pattern is a bit high near the right wrist, but much less so.

Film would also cause the engraving to look less crisp at some angles and lighting than in others, as seen in the photos.

Seems I owe you another whisky, Abilene, and an apology to Uberti. The laugh is on me...

Karl

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 11:04:24 AM »
I would happily settle for sasparilla.   Ever since I drank a fifth of Canadian Whiskey in about an hour in high school, even a whiff of hard stuff makes me want to heave.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com