Author Topic: Mis labled Open Top with a good BIN.  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Mis labled Open Top with a good BIN.
« on: April 29, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899730719

I like looking for things mislabled or misspelled.  Ask me sometime about my Argentine "Mouser".
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Mis labled Open Top with a good BIN.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »
Yeah, very good price.  Barrel is 5 1/2" on that stock photo, but the ad says it is a 9002 model which is 4 3/4"

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 02:24:15 PM »
 yep.  write up says 4.75" as well.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:53:30 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »
Someone got it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 06:41:09 PM »
It looks like it ended with no bids ...no Sale ?    ???

I'm a little surprised, they are not is stock @ Cimarron or Taylors  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:01:09 PM »
If someone hit the "Buy it now" button it does not show up as a bid.  I'd say someone BINed it.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
OH !  well good on them  :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »

:)  WOW   ;)

Anybody with  care for Open Tops, who passed on that BIN price is/was KNUTZ.  None of the major importers/sellers/whole sailers has ANYTHING "in stock."  And probably won't for a while yet.  That BIN price was STUPID GOOD!!!

People are Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:23 PM »
Hmmmm... That wasn't for sale when I bought my 5.5" used.  Oh Well, mine has faux ivory grips...

Just noticed it was Wholesaler Hunter.  IIRC, they are not stocking dealer, but rather middlemen.  Ordered from the a few years ago, and they were out of stock.  Another time, it came from a third party, not them.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 08:53:10 AM »
It looks like it end with no bids ...no Sale ?

I'm a little surprised , they are not is stock @ Cimarron or Taylors  :-\

In the ten years I've been following and using GB, a 'Buy Now' sale always shows up as a winning bid on the 'Bid History', will note the winning bid was via 'Buy Now'. The revolver listed didn't have a 'Buy Now' option on it though. I just checked GB and the Open Top in this thread hasn't been relisted--was a good price. Maybe was sold over the counter.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »
In the ten years I've been following and using GB, a 'Buy Now' sale always shows up as a winning bid on the 'Bid History', will note the winning bid was via 'Buy Now'. The revolver listed didn't have a 'Buy Now' option on it though. I just checked GB and the Open Top in this thread hasn't been relisted--was a good price. Maybe was sold over the counter.

But it DID have a Buy It Now price (same as opening bid price) when Drydock first listed it.  Wholesale Hunter is a big outfit, they should know the current value.  I think somebody made a mistake when listing it.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
But it DID have a Buy It Now price (same as opening bid price) when Drydock first listed it.  Wholesale Hunter is a big outfit, they should know the current value.  I think somebody made a mistake when listing it.

I tend to agree, mistakes were made....   Retail is closer to $150 + more if in stock  ( list is  $630.12 @ Cimarron )
Somebody got a deal....if it indeed sold at BIN   :-\

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 09:43:15 PM »

Well ya, you have a point in that sense Abilene. What I was referring to was that the seller didn't have a 'Buy It Now' option on his listing or a 'Reserve' price. I've always noticed if someone buys a firearm at the BIN option, it will show that in the Bidders section and indicate the firearm was won on the BIN option. Ifin someone had bid the sellers starting bid price and no one else placed a bid by the time 'time' expired on the listing, that would in a sense be as you say be sort of a 'Buy It Now' bid. I don't know if time expired on the listing, maybe someone came into the store and bought it over the counter and the seller terminated the listing. Or as has been said, it sort of fell through the cracks and no one noticed the 'cheap' price.

Many times a gun I have on my watch list sells less than what the seller should be getting or what the gun is worth. I've seen alot of them sort of get lost in multiple pages of similar models and GB viewers/buyers many of the times don't see them. Some times the bidding ends at strange times and/or on days such as Sunday or holidays when prospective buyers are not monitoring GB. I've bought several that way.

A really nice M1 Garand that I paid $300 less than what similar Springfields and year were going for. The seller advised me he should have not had the bidding end on a Sunday afternoon of a July 4th weekend. Bought a Smith and Wesson revolver 'cheap' as no one apparently other than two other bidders were watching it when like models were selling for more. I was the 3rd bidder. Bought a 2012 Savage Model 14 .223 Bolt gun that almost looked like it came out of the box that was lost in numerous pages of like guns that I bought for way less than like guns that had some wear to them. Only one other bidder. Yupper, that Open Top was a squeaker that didn't get bought by some lucky shooter. That would have been a good price. Noticed that it hasn't been relisted.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:40:44 AM »
FWIW I sent the seller on this 4 3/4" a message via GB asking if the Open Top was still available. Received reply back this AM and they advised not available any longer. Good chance sold over counter IMO.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
That is odd , its been relisted   ???

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »
Couldn't tell ya Major--Seller advised me no longer available. I searched GB and no trace of it, although Drydock did post another one from GB that show a picture of a '51 OT and is described as having a 5.5" barrel. The OT from this thread showed a pic of a 5.5" barrel, but it was described twice as a OT with a 4 1/2" barrel. It does say in the sellers description that a stock picture was used and doesn't represent the actual OT for sale. Can't say. Price on this thread was good, price on 2nd one good, but I myself have no need for a 45 Colt OT, otherwise I'd be considering it.

Who knows, as sorta mentioned in both threads maybe the right and left hands have no idea whats going on. The OT in the other thread Drydock posted might have been the one in this one and whoever is posting these has no idea whats going on. Sorta like going to some of the big box sporting outfits and a late teen/early 20 something employee wearing wingtips, short sleeve dress shirt and tie who's never shot anything more than a BB gun trys to answer technical firearm/ammo questions for ya and has no idea of the real world of firearms. No slam on some of these guys trying to make a buck, Gods Blessings on them, but "Thats how it is",  ie Walter Cronkite.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com