Author Topic: Blakeslee box tube size?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline beepo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blakeslee box tube size?
« on: March 23, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
Just picked up a used Chiappa Spencer in 45 Schofield, looking at a repro Blakeslee box listed for 44/40 and 45 long colt would the 45 Schofield rounds fit or should I get the one sized for 56/50? I  would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Blakeslee box tube size?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
Welcome:
Lots of help here. Please keep posting. Tx.

Suggest reading the "SORI" Section as you get going.

Ken Howell's book: DESIGNING AND FORMING CUSTOM CARTRIDGES,  has rim diameter dim's for 44-40 and 45 Colt.

"BLAIR", here, is versed in the Schofield round.

RIM OD's range between .500" for 44 S&W American to .512" for 45 Colt (not "long" COLT) to .515" for 44 S&W Russian, so those are all close to the same. 

56-56  and 56-50 rim OD's range between .630" for STARLINE brass to .650" for most others.
There are no recent SAAMI dim's for 56-56 or 56-50, which SAAMI notes are "obsolete cartridges".

Please let us know how you do with your Spencer.
Please Google: Spencer rifles in movies, for some nice scenes.

SAFETY FIRST! 
PLEASE USE BULLETS WITH A FLAT SPOT ON THEIR NOSES GREATER THAN THAT OF THE CENTER FIRE PRIMER AND LOAD WITHOUT LETTING THE ROUNDS SLIDE TOO FAST INTO THE TUBES OR BUTT. 

All the best,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline DoneDusm

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:08:39 PM »
Beepo,
          The 45 Schofield brass will almost completely fit inside an empty 56-50. I have a Blakesly box for my 56-50 and I just tried the Schofield brass in it.  There is lots of extra room and the rounds would certainly bounce around inside the tubes.  The 45 Schofield will certainly fit in a box designed for 45 LC.  The smaller tubes would  probably be a better option unless you plan on adding a 56-50 to the armory and want to use one box.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:42:23 AM »

Offline beepo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:44:59 PM »
DoneDusm,

Thank you sir, your help is greatly appreciated, I will order the 44/40-45 Blakeslee box.

El Supremo,

Thanks for the friendly welcome and your technical knowledge of the Spencer.

Offline DoneDusm

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 06:55:29 AM »
Beepo,
            Please let us know what you think about quality, construction, source of your Blakeslee box once you have it in hand. I believe there was a previous thread but never hurts to update as some sources have fallen by the wayside.  Thanks

Offline beepo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »
I received the Blakeslee box from C&C Sutlery for $79 plus shipping. Decent box for the money except for the 6 tin tubes which to C&C's credit told me about when I spoke with them. They are hand made and are all different dimensions with a solder line along one side, not straight, rust inside and out, some would only fit into certain holes in the block. After a trip to Home Depot I found 1/2" copper pipe which the 45 Schofield rounds fit into perfectly, I cut them to 12" length and glued on a copper end cap. Not sure how it would hold up for reenacting/cavalry but for my intended purpose at the range it fits the bill nicely.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com