Author Topic: Fault Finding - USFA  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Fault Finding - USFA
« on: February 23, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »
Greetings All,
We spend the bulk of our time here singing the praises of our USFA's and well we should.  But what, if any, consistant faults have you found with them?  I, for one, have found that their polishing, prior to nickel plating, left something to be desired. 
I have a few nickel plated USFA's and a couple of them show noticeable "ridges" on the right side of the frame, arching upward from the rear of the trigger guard toward the base of the hammer.  One was so bad that I sent it back to the factory for replacement (a long story in itself but one that I ended up very happy with).  Another in my collection, a 4" Sheriff's model, suffers from this malady but is somewhat more tolerable.  Still, not an example of a "perfect" USFA.
When it comes to nickel plating, polishing is extremely critical and on more than one occasion (actually 2 out of 4) I found that their  pre-plating polishing was somewhat less that what one would expect.
So there it is!  My only complaint about USFA.  What do you have to offer (and let's not dwell upon mindlessly simple problems to remedy such as heavy springs, etc.)?
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Re: Fault Finding - USFA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
Capt. John, I do not own nor have I ever personally seen a nickel plated USFA other than in photos. I have a couple of satin nickel plated Rodeo II's but they are both very nice. My other USFA's are CCH and either Dome blue or the old armory blue and they are all very nice as well. I have had no bad experiences with the ones I have owned whatsoever.

I have one that the timing is ever so slightly off, but I purchased it used. The bolt drops slightly early and has caused a peen mark at the very beginning of the trough that leads into the cylinder bolt notch. Sorry but I don't know what the trough is actually called. I read the term once but have forgotten. Eventually I believe it will look just like the rest of the trough since it is right at the point about half inside the line and half outside the line.

Other than that I cannot find a fault concerning the ones I own. Like most every great product there are those few exceptions that slip through the cracks. After all they are products of fallible people.

To answer your question, I haven't found any consistent faults, but I am probably much less experienced than others here.   
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 05:39:03 PM »
OK USFAers,

I bought a consecutive pair of rodeos years ago. Shortly after, dry firing (with A-Zoom snag-caps), I had both hand springs break simultaneously. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I live in CT so I went to the factory with my six-guns and no appointment. They let me in and gave me a tour while they fixed my guns. I was told that the springs were from a small lot of out of spec springs that caused them to be improperly installed.

No problems since (i just cursed myself).

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:19:37 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 05:59:02 PM »
Hi Rev!
It was rumored, at the time that the rodeo guns were introduced, that they contained more than a few Italian parts (springs, hands, bolts, etc.).  The reasoning for this was simple.  Due to the low cost of the Rodeo and USFA's growing reputation for quality, demand was far greater than their ability to supply.  In order to meet the demands they reverted to the use of some Italian made parts that they were unable to produce themselves in number.
Like I said, it was "rumored" at the time.  I am merely reporting what I recall and if I am wrong I sincerely hope that someone will correct me.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »

:)  Buckaroo Lou   ;)

That little trough is called a "Lead".  As in:  "Lead" In or "Lead" to.

:)  Capt. John   ;)  I can neither confirm nor deny the source of parts for the USFA Rodeo.  Whilst my shingle was out, I worked on many USFA.  USP FA, USFA, and Rodeo.  I seriously could not tell the difference in any of the parts to the Lock Works.  That includes the Bolts, the Hands, the Hand Springs and the Trigger/Bolt springs.  I found the the Hand Springs to be fragile as are the parent Colt springs and the original Uberti Springs.  I found the Trigger/Bolt springs to be much heavier than necessary.  I use to replace the T/B Spring with one from Pietta.  I never understood why USFA steadfastly refused to with to Coil Spring and Plunger for the hand.  Such a simple change.  Main Springs were also much heavier than necessary.

Returning to the original subject, Other than the above, I do not recall being presented with "consistent faults.  Manufacturers, regardless, have forever ben want to turn out "Thursday" products and "Friday" products with faults.  Not necessarily killer faults, just little nittnoy things too bug you.  Some have been worse than others.  Beyond Armi San Marco, who's quality was non-existent at their end, and Uberti refusing to correct the Barrel to Arbor fit on open top guns, nothing consistently significant.  Of course, i do have a CAVEAT:  I Don't like Uberti.  So I may well have a Jaundiced opine, excepting their abominable Barrel to Arbor fit.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »
The all US Rodeos started with the "C" serial numbers. There may have been an early, early C Rodeo that had some Italian parts but none to my knowledge

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
I have an All-USA Rodeo in .44 Special that I've been meaning to take some cylinder hones to (bought the hones and just never got around to it).  Anyway, it suffers from some very rough chambers that really grab onto the fired cases and make them difficult to eject.  I've only had three USFA's (two Rodeos and one Premium).  All were 100% USA-made, and only that .44 left anything to be desired.  Conversely, that .44 also has the most precise timing and tightest lockup among the three. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com