Poll

45 LC Recommendation for Newbie with little to no modifications and least amount of historical manufacturer issue (i.e. cycling)?

Cimarron 1873 Sporting Rifle with 24" barrel
3 (11.5%)
Cimarron 1873  with 20" barrel
5 (19.2%)
Winchester 1873 Carbine with 20" barrel
10 (38.5%)
Marlin 94 with JM stamped 20" barrel
7 (26.9%)
Taylors & Co. 204 "1873 Style" with 20" Barrel
1 (3.8%)
Henry Big Boy Brass with 20" Barrel
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Rifle Recommendation in 45LC  (Read 7187 times)

Offline JGard2010

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle Recommendation in 45LC
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:55:21 AM »
Poll is based on six models that seem to be available in todays market.  I'm looking to get some recommendations to get me starting in 45 LC and progress down the road.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Rifle Recommendation in 45LC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 09:45:37 AM »

:)  JGard2010   ;)

Just a tiny bit of trivia to help you along.  There is no such thing as 45 "long" Colt.  Or 45 LC for short.  Even though the term is in somewhat common usage.  There is only, and ever has been, "45 Colt"

Without having to go to a Gunplumber for modification, or extensive application of after-market parts, your best bet is the Japanese built Winchester 1873 replica.  Much easier to live with "out of the box."  Hence my "vote."

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
 If the 45 colt in the Winchester 73 is like the one I have in 44wcf, you won't be disappointed in the least bit.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:13:56 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:56 AM »
The Cimarron or Taylor 1873 would be my choice and from there whichever one feels best to you.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
I don't own a Winchester (or clone) 1873 rifle...more's the pity.  But when I purchased my CAS rifle I chose the Pedersoli Colt Lightning rifle in .45 colt and do not regret it one bit.  I shoot full power loads with heavy bullets, experience no blowback, and the rifle is fast and accurate.  I restocked it in nice walnut to increase the length of pull and modified an early Hawken butt plate to suit, which I rust blued.  This rifle suits my 6'2" frame and achieved married weight of 240 pounds.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 11:59:13 AM »
I just picked up a Uberti 1866 in .45 Colt, it runs right but has not seen Match use yet. My little Rossi 92 in .45 runs great, totally reliable and fast handling.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
If it's a consideration to you, the Big Boy Henry is not a historical copy.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 03:53:07 PM »
If it's a consideration to you, the Big Boy Henry is not a historical copy.
Not as historical copy, so not NCOWS legal.
And the Japchester (Miroku) 1873 is also on the NCOWS Unapproved List, if that matters at all. My wife, The Lovely Miss Theresa has used an Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt for at least a dozen years and it has provided nothing but satisfactory results. If I was going to subject a rifle to a diet of heavy loads, the 1894 Marlin would be my choice,  but I am an 1873 guy for Cowboy loads.

A bit more trivia you didn't ask for:  There was an interesting article in Winter Issue of Shootist Magazine,  by Del Warren concerning the use of the "Long Colt" designation.  The article shares some historical facts and the opinions of Mike Venturino, Elmer Keith and others. There WAS in the past a short .45 Colt cartridge which is referred to in Cartridges of the World as the .45 Colt Government.
.45 Colt headstamp and rim diameter with Schofield length case.

B.N.Scotty

It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »
I shoot both a Marlin and a ‘73 both in .45c and loading 200gr RNFP with APP.  IMHO the Marlin is easier, and takes less time to clean than the ‘73.  Even with annealed cases the carrier on the ‘73 gets too dirty for me not to take it out and clean it well (maybe I’m OCD about it).  YMMV

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 05:30:33 PM »
I shoot both a Marlin and a ‘73 both in .45c and loading 200gr RNFP with APP.  IMHO the Marlin is easier, and takes less time to clean than the ‘73.  Even with annealed cases the carrier on the ‘73 gets too dirty for me not to take it out and clean it well (maybe I’m OCD about it).  YMMV

you need a 44-40. I'm OCD about keeping my guns clean and I don't have to take the action apart on my 73s but every couple years or so and really don't need it then.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 06:01:21 PM »
The carrier block on Miss Theresa's .45 Colt 1873 gets blacker shooting 200 grain smokeless loads than my 1873s in either 38 or 44 WCF with Black Powder or A.P.P.  As has been mentioned hundreds of times before,  there was a reason for bottleneck cases!
I have read that the blowback/black carrier block syndrome,  can be mitigated by shooting heavy loads,  annealing cases,  using 44 WCF brass resized to .45 Colt, etc.  The soot on the carrier block does not effect function,  I usually only take the sideplates off Miss Theresa's rifle at the end of the shooting season to clean the accumulated black gunk out of the innards.

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »

:)  JGard2010   ;)

Jumping in . . . AGAIN.  With more trivia and such.  The designation 45 Long Colt was a pipe dream of several scribes writing for the gun rags many years ago.  the term stuck even though a "never never" of cartridges.  The 45 Colt Government was developed to allow the ARMY to have a cartridge that would chamber in both Schofield and SAA issue side arms.  The Colt Government was never called the 45 Colt "Short" either.  Be wary of Parrots.

The soot buildup on a Toggle Link Rifle Carrier Block and in the Mortice can and WILL affect functionality.  Once present and when it becomes gummy it can/will slow or stick the Carrier Block in the mortice to block the travel of carrier and jam the rifle.

Heavy loads and big heavy bullets can mitigate some Blow-By.  Not necessarily eliminate it.  Annealing the cases will ELIMINATE Blow-By.  Forming 44-40 cases to 45 Colt can also eliminate Blow-By.  45 Colt cases, is stock form WILL NOT expand enough to seal mostly oversized chambers.  Uberti built rifles usually have oversize chambers.

I take my information and data from 20+ years as a CAS Gunsmith.  NOT from a singular example I may own.  Lets ALL enjoy this game.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
Just a tiny bit of trivia to help you along.  There is no such thing as 45 "long" Colt.  Or 45 LC for short.  Even though the term is in somewhat common usage.  There is only, and ever has been, "45 Colt"

I bet you are a lot of fun at parties.  Do you go around telling people there are no such things as "hot water heaters" or "CAC cards"?  Besides Del Warren had an excellent article in the Winter issue of The Shootist on this issue.  He ends with "Be sure we know when it is OK to say .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Short Colt, .45 Colt Government, .45 M1887 Military Ball or .45 S&W and .45 Schofield."
Scouts Out!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:16 AM »
Right up to the point some drunk accuses me of saying or doing something I didn't. ;D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »
As some people are steering you towards 44/40, I will put in my 2 cents worth.
I have an original Winchester 73 in 44/40, Winchester never made a rifle in 45 colt.
It was made in 1882, I had it relined and some new springs put in. I've shot probably
a couple thousand rounds through it. It's as smooth as silk, and works perfect. So I
have about the same or less money than a Italian repro, that is going to have to be
slicked up before you use it. And finally if cowboy shooting slowly fades away, what is
going to be the wiser investment, an original that has never went down in price or a
repro that there are thousands to be sold. Rock Island auction sells a lot of originals
and parts (if needed) are available off ebay. Just my opinion, I love shooting mine with
real black and it's 139 years old (The Real Deal)

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 11:15:11 AM »
First post in this thread,  recommendations for a rifle in .45 Colt,  although I'm sure the O.P. welcomes and enjoying all the expert additional input.

Coffinmaker,  I'm sure Elmer Keith would be impressed by your 20+ years as a CAS Gunsmith,  and I would have loved to see you call him a "parrot" face to face!

"sit back and watch",  B.N.Scotty

All posted in the interest of good fun!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 12:03:29 PM »
I voted for the marlin. Both of my JM 94s were bought used. I added one piece firing pins, played with some springs and replaced the safeties with a faux screw and a saddle ring. Other than an episode of the feared marlin jam my coping saw repair is still doing well after 25 years. My uberti 1873s all needed work out of the box, too strong springs, too soft screws, a bad loading gate- bad bbl-out of spec toggle links. The marlin is easier to tear down, fewer parts and made in America. Any new gun in todays market is a pig in a poke, might be 100%, might be a lemon or somewhere in between. And unfortunately companies don’t stand behind their products like they once did. Good luck on whatever you decide to buy.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
I had an 1894 Remington/Marlin in .44 Magnum returned to the factory in 2019 that had a void, for the lack of a better term, halfway down the barrel in the rifling.  In that case anyway, they stood behind their product. I would think the new acquisition  of Marlin by Ruger would be a good thing?

A Marlin is a good choice beyond Cowboy Shooting as a great tree-stand gun, that doesn't even look too out of place with a compact scope.

B.N.Scotty

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 05:48:34 AM »
Yes. Yes you are.
wM1
 ::)
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 08:40:54 AM »

:)  Ira   ;)

Happy Saturday !!  Rest assured, I would have absolutely no problem walking up to Elmer to point out his error.  Same same Mike Venturino.  And a few others.  Fame and recognition does not equate to "right."  Just means more people read your stuff.

Let's also remember, Elmer blew apart several guns pushing pressure to levels way past what the guns were intended to stand.  That isn't necessarily real bright.  He just got lucky.  Some heroes aren't necessarily all they are quacked up to be  :D

I have no idea who "Del Warren" is.  Describing cartridges by their historically correct designation is not wrong.  Schofield is Schofield, S & W was a correct designation.  Sever references to Colt cartridges are also correct.  No argument.  My only irritation is describing something as "Short Colt" which never existed and or "Long Colt" which never existed.  If one is to make a claim that "something" is really OK, one should first insure the historical accuracy.  Not just picking up on long repeated erroneous lore.

Stay Safe Out There

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com