Author Topic: RCBS 45-300-FN in a 45-60  (Read 854 times)

Offline Triggerfinger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
RCBS 45-300-FN in a 45-60
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:07:14 AM »
Hi, I've been enjoying this forum and getting great info for the Uberti 1876 in 45-60 that I have.  I have a question.  The rifle I have works great with the RCBS 45-300-FN.  It loads and shoots real nice, but it has a gas check bottom  and while not an issue with smokeless powder, I'd like to shoot this same bullet using Black Powder.  Can I use this bullet with a wad over BP or is there an equivalent mold that doesn't have a GC?   Thanks for any help!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: RCBS 45-300-FN in a 45-60
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
I have the same mould. Nothing untoward will cause concern if you lube a gascheck bullet with a BP compatible lube and just fire away. Leave lube sticking to the shank. This is true for all GC bullets with any powder as long as MV is kept under about 1600 fps. (Hard to get over about 1200fps with BP anyway.)

However; A wad might make for a more successful load. I punch mine out of various materials, milk cartons, pulp egg carton, beer coasters, cereal boxes, tablet backing or whatever. The thickest wad material I have located, free, is backing card from a picture framing shop scrap bin.  I sometimes soak all but the milk carton in melted lube. Egg carton material is more porous thus holding a bit more lube. (This is what I use for percussion revolvers.) Wonderwads work, but cost filthy lucre!

My wad punch is a belted magnum case cut off at the shoulder and sharpened with a counter-sink bit. Either drill out the primer pocket to push out the wads, or file/grind a port on the side of the case body.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Triggerfinger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
Great!  Thank you for the information.  I'm going to try both methods, lube the shank over BP and try a wad with the shank lubed again.  Didn't have much luck with other recommended molds so for now this will be my bullet of choice.  Got a 45 punch around somewhere and I've some wad material I bought a few years ago that I can use.  Will see which shoots best.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:58:27 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com