Author Topic: CZ Coach Gun Action Work  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CZ Coach Gun Action Work
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
Well, I picked up a new CZ hammer gun.   As many of you know it's a real looker but it's stiffer than a new pair of 501 Levis.  I'm looking to do a basic smoothing and some spring work. 

I generally do my own rifle and handgun work but I've been averse to working on doubles.   Normally I'd run it over to Johnny at Camp Verde but he's takin' the holidays off.  So's I'm after a little info specific to the CZ-Huglu hammer double.  A lengthy internet search has brought me nothing at all.  There are a few threads on this and that concerning doubles but nothing substantial on the CZ.  The only info from CZ is a PDF of the lousy exploded view from the owners manual and that is suspect upon close examination.

I'm clear on lightening the hammer springs a bit.  That's straightforward but currently vexing me is how to remove and lighten the top lever spring and how to r&r the locking bolt to smooth it up.

Thanks in advance for any hints. ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: CZ Coach Gun Action Work
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »

It's real simple.  You have a really nice, not cheap Hammer Double.  You don't necessarily know what you're doing.  Leave it alone Johnny comes Marching Home.

DIY could get very expensive very quick.

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »
Well Coffinmaker, I'd say that's good advice.  I've got the hammer springs  and cocking effort improved and that's a good place to cease and desist..

The most important skill a home gunsmith can posses is knowing when to stop.

It's funny though, there is a plethora of internet info and YouTube stuff on most any other 'smithing chore.  The fact that there isn't much on doubles should give us pause.

I'm proud to say that in a lifetime of taking my guns apart I've always gotten them back together and working fine.  At age 69 I see no reason to blot my copybook.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:28:17 AM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Mine was just a little stiff to push the top snap and stiff to open at first.  Shoot it a 100 or so times and open and close it in practice with dummies about a thousand and you'll notice it starts to work real nice.  Save your money to buy shells or components.  

In the above video I'm testing four different loads and shooting them out of my box stock CZ. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com