Author Topic: Recommend a clone SAA  (Read 19081 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recommend a clone SAA
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »
Hi, I already have a non-descript SAA clone with a 4 3/4" barrel. Brass Trigger guard. New style.  I don't know the manufacturer- I bought it used. It works "okay" I guess. I sort of want a 7 1/2" barrel and an old model with the screw to retain the cylinder, etc.  Cimmaron sells Pietta cattleman that I located but I'm not sure of how accurate a copy of the original and how good the quality.  What are some good picks?
    On the newer style as far as the cylinder pin, etc. what year were those changes made?
Thanks.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Recommend a clone SAA
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »
The BP frame (Old Model ) till 1896 ..then the cross pin retainer Pre-War 1896 - 1940

Pietta US 7th Cavalry is a 7 1/2 barrel Old Model
as is the Uberti US 7th Cavalry
you and also get a 7 1/2 Stainless in either Uberti or Pietta

more that likely your non-descript SAA clone with a 4 3/4" barrel. Brass Trigger guard. New style is a Jager Dakota
the Dakota didn't have a maker’s logo.  Brescia proof marks and a “Made in Italy” script were the only indicators of origin.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »
This is an area that is outside my normal area of interest, specifically in regard to the SA's.

The Colt models of 1877 and 1878 both use the spring loaded cylinder pin stops. It is important to note that these are both DA models.

I would need to do more research into when it was first used on the SA's, but I believe it starts in 1892 and becomes standard in the new SA's by 1896 with the International Matches held in Beasley, England during this time period.
It is best that you do your own research into this area, than it is to depend on what maybe my very faulty memory, on my part in a an area I don't care much for.
I am sure any corrections will be forthcoming.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:11:57 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 06:26:39 PM »
Hi, I already have a non-descript SAA clone with a 4 3/4" barrel. Brass Trigger guard. New style.  I don't know the manufacturer- I bought it used. It works "okay" I guess. I sort of want a 7 1/2" barrel and an old model with the screw to retain the cylinder, etc.  Cimmaron sells Pietta cattleman that I located but I'm not sure of how accurate a copy of the original and how good the quality.  What are some good picks?
    On the newer style as far as the cylinder pin, etc. what year were those changes made?
Thanks.

There are people that will argue the current production Colts are not accurate copies of the "original."  Like all machines there have been running production changes since the gun was introduced.  A Colt SAA from 1873 has differernces from those made in 1883 and 1893 and 1923 and 1957 and 1967, etc.  Personally of the two major makers (Uberti and Pietta, USFA has closed its doors) I prefer the Pietta.  Most of it's parts interchange with the "originals" and it uses a recoil bushing like the "originals."  Both, however, are well made guns and will give good service.

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »
Colt changed to the spring- loaded base pin latch in 1896 at SN 164,100.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
I prefer the Uberti made clones since they are more faithful to the original 1873 SAA and with Cimarron you get more authentic markings.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »
 About 4 years ago when I first dipped my toe in the CAS water, I was very impatient and wanted to get my revolvers ASAP. I had decided on 44 Special, so that made it a little more difficult to find revolvers. I called Cimarron and all the had in that caliber was a 5 1/2" Model P black powder frame. The screw retained base pin was not exactly what I wanted, but I decided it would do. I was not disappointed.
  Most CAS competitors yawn when the subject of accuracy comes up, but in my opinion, if a manufacturer holds his tolerances close enough for a pistol to shoot accurately, then good mechanics and overall quality are a given. That said, my Cimarron Model P still amazes me every time I shoot it. Even at 50 and 100 yds., it shoots like Ruger revolvers should:

The only fault I found with this revolver, and actually ALL Uberti produced revolvers, is the base pins are WAY too soft for the larger, heavier recoiling calibers and tend to peen where they hit the retaining screw or cross screw. But replacing the base pin is simple enough.

FWIW, I recently bought a brand new Uberti Bisley in 45 Colt. It too has fired some very impressive groups although I haven't wrung it out like my .44's.

Good luck!
 CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:19:23 PM »
Good shooting out of a good looking revolver.

I've had mixed results with Ubert, although very few actual issues.  My father has one of there Millennial guns, the bead blasted black oxide cheap version.  It's got the nicest barrel of any single action I've ever seen, looks like it's chrome lined.  I've got a Uberti BP frame from Cimmeron that is full of chatter marks and rough areas in the barrel.  After fire lapping it shoots decently, but is a PITA to clean.  I got one from somewhere, can't remember offhand, the trigger sear of barely there and if you breathed on it it would go off.  Easy enough to fix.  Or one from Cimmeron that had a 44 cal. cylinder and a 45 cal. barrel.

I have seen and handled the new Pietta Great Western 2's and they are very nice pistols.  I want one, but being out of work curtails that plan.  The best I've got is a Taylor's Smokewagon, what a joy to shoot and very accurate with my hand loads.

Either Uberti or Pietta make good pistols, very few are perfect out of the box, though Taylor's offers the hand tuned Smokewagon and I believe EMF offers a tuned Pietta.  They cost a little more, but well worth it in my opinion.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Yakima Red

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15539
  • NCOWS #: 1169
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »
I have a pair of pre-war Uberti's in .45 Colt. Been very good to me, black powder run through them only. If I had to do it again I would get 44-40's. I just might.....
Director, Colters Hell Justice Committee WSAS.
Wyoming Single Action Shooters.
SASS, NCOWS, NRA Life Endowment.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor.
2008 NRA Wyoming volunteer of the year.
Creator of miracles.
"Let us then...under God, trust our cause to our swords. ~Samuel Adams

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Smoke Wagons by Taylor's (Uberti) 8)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 11:48:19 PM »
Smoke Wagons by Taylor's (Uberti) 8)

I have had nothing but great dealings with Taylor and Co.  I am bias since they are here in Virginia about 40 miles away.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 11:19:48 PM »
I stumbled on to this one on Gunbroker

It is a Uberti in SS, Model P 7.5" 45LC PW  MP4502

it is marked Cimarron ,  It was new in box and had been nicely tuned.....
The internals are polished and the action is very sweet.

What was amazing , I was the only bidder ... no reserve , opening @ $400

Cimarron list it @ $712.40 & then there are two set of Grips it came with,  not to mention the Action work.

Shoots very,  very well and is a looker....

A Late night peruse  on GB paid off   :D

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »
Lucky you! What a great find. I love it when that kind of stuff happens!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
NECROMANCY!!   ::)

I get the biggest kick out of someone resurrecting an older thread and giving us a chance to repeat ourselves before we realize just how old the thread is. 

Oh, almost forgot.  PLUS ONE to Pettifogger!!  The current build Pietta guns are the most faithful reproductions.  And, just to reiterate,
I HATE the term CLONE!!  The reproductions are NOT clones.  Gerrrrrrrrrrr.

Coffinmaker

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »
I can say that 7.5 gr of Unique with a 200gr hard cast Lee 44 special Bullet out of My Uberti Cattleman is
A lot more of a load then in my Ruger NMV .

WOW  :o :o  :o
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline chucksolo1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 04:21:30 PM »
I concurr Mr, Coffinmaker!! My Pietta is IMO better than my circa 1977 Colt SAA .357 both mechanically AND aesthetically!!

Offline blfuller

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 12:21:39 PM »
I recently picked up a EMF Californian 5 1/2" SAA.  It is made by Pietta and I was very impressed with the fit and finish.  It has the floating firing pin on the hammer and 4 clicks.  It also has the firing pin bushing and walnut grips that had nice flame on them.

Offline chucksolo1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »
I have the Deluxe Californian in .357 magnum and was very impressed with the fit and finish of mine. It  is the 4.75 inch and handles beautifully. I recently purchased a Shotgun Lilli's rig for it and the gun fits nicely in it. Pietta defiantly makes a great Colt clone.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 08:07:46 PM »

???   THEY     ARE     NOT     CLONES   :o

They are Replicas.  Or, if you will, Replicants.  I actually prefer .... Replicants.

I admit it, I am Opinionated (I really am).  But, and however, if you look up "Clone" you too will see why the guns we fawn over are NOT clones.  Replicas.

And the closest replica currently on the market is made by Pietta.  Unless you (Like Me) consider a current manufacture Colt to be merely a replica of what once was.  Yes.  I am Contrary. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »
???   THEY     ARE     NOT     CLONES   :o

They are Replicas.  Or, if you will, Replicants.  I actually prefer .... Replicants.

I admit it, I am Opinionated (I really am).  But, and however, if you look up "Clone" you too will see why the guns we fawn over are NOT clones.  Replicas.

And the closest replica currently on the market is made by Pietta.  Unless you (Like Me) consider a current manufacture Colt to be merely a replica of what once was.  Yes.  I am Contrary.

Yes indeed, you are.  :)

Okay, I looked it up.  Merriam-Webster lists Replica as a synonym of Clone, and Clone as a synonym of Replica.  So there.

And the closest replica on the market to a 2nd Gen Colt is the Pietta, but the closest to a 1st gen is the Uberti Old Model (removeable FP bushing and hammer cam notwithstanding). 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com