Author Topic: Suffering from PPD  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suffering from PPD
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
PPD - Paper Patching Disorder

I have been bitten bad by the bug. They are so nice and allow more powder in the case without excessive compression. More powder is good.

All I think about is papers, powder, grease, powder, putting diapers on those slicks, powder, wiping some jojoba on the patch, the feel of hand seating, powder. 

I am haunted by paper patching. 

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Suffering from PPD
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
Just don't put 'em in yer pocket and take 'em hunting.  You'll have pockets full of bullets, paper and powder. . .  ;)

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »
I'm concerned... I think I may have been in close contact with PPD... I am trying to find everything I can and am only getting more confused, by what appears to be a simple process...

I have a good number of 30 caliber rifles... I have long held a belief that I should be able to cast and load everything I shoot... I have not ventured into 30 caliber world because of the leading issue of higher velocities... I am currently looking at my krag rounds as an option to make myself more self sustaining... was it possible these were paper patched (for historically accurate rounds of course)?  Or is this something for another thread or discussion board for a more modern problem?
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:28:36 AM »

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 07:22:49 AM »
@ SnakeOil :  The Krag rounds were "metal-patched" right from the start; cupro-nickel full metal jacket.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:10:45 AM »
 No need to be haunted by paper patching. Once a person figures out to ignore about 2/3's of what a number of internet experts claim to be the holy grail, and look at what the folks are doing that are actually either winning or placing well, having great success hunting with patched bullets etc. You'll rather take a beating than grease up another grooved bullet. Especially when you finally console yourself to the matter that you have now reached the same level of knowledge as teenagers in the late 1800's  ;D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »
So the biggest question I have right now is grooved or no grooves... I am having a hard time finding grooveless dies... custom orders seem to be about it.  One youtuber (I know... consider the source) likes groves as he feels it helps the paper hold better, but the match shooters on another forum were saying slick sides were better... I don't presume to be a great shooter, but I want to be, so I would like to get the best and work on becoming the best (I can be... there are some amazing shooters out there that I doubt I will surpass as a hobbiest).

If anyone has a link or image to a good die for 30 caliber, please let me know!
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
 Zero point in using a grooved bullet for paper patching. The grooves take away all the benefit of the smooth sided bullet.
 Might want to check with Accurate moulds or Brooks Moulds.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 07:35:32 PM »
Ranch, would you recommend a good source of information on paper patching?  I have good results with greasers, but always interested in learning something new.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 07:52:02 PM »
 Get Randolph Wrights book, read it, and then it's just a matter of figuring out what you want to do with paper patching , hunting/plinking or serious target work.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/loading-and-shooting-paper-patched-bullets-by-randolph-s-wright-boklsp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com