Author Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75  (Read 117170 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Loading Data for the 45/75
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2021, 07:48:48 AM »
Would a neck sizing die for a 45/110/120 work for neck sizing the 45/75? I'm not real happy with the way my CH4D die sizes the neck. Mine is the Uberti chamber, just seems like there is not much bullets tension. With .458 bullets, sometime falls into the case. .459's stay put, but it doesn't feel like its very tight. Die is all the way down to the shell holder.

Have you tried it with fatter boolits ? my Uberti does real well with boolits sized .460 (even bigger is ok) -- I only shoot blackpowder so neck tension is not a requirement and I dont resize (nor neck size either) on my sixth firing with one batch of cases and I made a die that just kisses the brass where it swells above the solid head - this brass should last a long time I reckon.   

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »
No, I haven't tried bigger bullets. I don't cast my own, yet. Reading up and looking at stuff to get to start tho.
King Medallion

Offline otis luther-brown

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »
I worked up a few loads for my Orginal NWMP carbine this winter, and took it out yesterday to shoot.  Shot at a couple of 6"X8" printer paper targets.  I used some old JBA brass I had on hand, 350 gr. (458 DIAM) Meister Bullets, and IMR 4198 smokeless powder.  The powder loads were: 24 gr., 25. gr, and 25.5 gr.  They pretty much shot similarly at about 40 yards.  They mostly impacted a little high and a little to the right.  Was shooting over some logs out in the woods on land my son owns, so was wasn't intending it to be a tack driver. I will be using 25 gr. in the future.
For those overly concerned about using smokeless powder in an orginal 1876 Winchester I'll tell you what didn't happen: the firing pin didn't come flying backward and take out my eye, the receiver didn't explode and turn my expensive gun into 9 pounds of scrap iron, and the barrel didn't explode and destroy a piece of history.  I believe I have as much respect for these old guns as anyone, but I do not believe they must be treated as some sort of holy relic that can not be enjoyed and used as intended.

Advertising

« Reply #183 on: Today at 03:47:10 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
How did you get that stuff to stick to the ceiling like that?
King Medallion

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
Click on the picture and it will be right side up

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »
 I have had good results w/ H-4198 in both 40-60 & 45-60. Nice looking rifle.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2021, 08:18:09 PM »
It was mis-identified in an on-line auction, so I got it for $3,800.  Which I consider a good deal for an original NWMP carbine.  It also has a bright shiny bore.  No pits and no rough spots.  The Mountie that had this gun took very good care of it.

Offline oldford47

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »
Hi Guys,
I really enjoy reading your posts.
I have a 1876 Chaparral 45-75, unlike some of the posts I have read about the Chaparral, the one I have is GREAT! No problems.
One of the finest rifles I have ever had. It is heavy with the 28" octagon barrel. Fine wood, good fit, exceptional color case hardening.
I shoot a Lyman 457122, flat base hollow point bullet 330 grains.
I am shooting 43 grains of 3031 with good results.
With the weight of the rifle, I can shoot 20-30 rounds with total comfort.
If anyone can find fault with this load combination, please join in.
Have a great day!

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2022, 01:52:15 PM »
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Bearskinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2022, 06:35:57 PM »
In my Original 76, 26” Octagon, ladder sights with set trigger, I just shot it for the first time, at the Cody Big bore shoot using Trail Boss. Made up 150 pieces of brass, 13.5 grains TB with a 350 grain bullet. Very mild, a joy to shoot at the 200 yard steel. Just picked up a replica to play with, in the crossfire trail configuration.  I’ll get a bullet mold and make two different levels to shoot
“YOU CANT SHOOT A BIG ONE, IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »
I have resized WW .348 Winchester brass for use in my original Model 1876.  It works pretty well.  The spent cases eject nicely on the range.  Later, after they cool down they won't chamber easily.  I have to full-length resize them to get them to chamber correctly.  Is this normal?  These cartridges are only being fired in one rifle.
I don't have this issue with the .40-60 or .45-60 cases but they are essentially straight.  See photo below.  The resized case is on the right.  Note the shoulder difference.
Any thoughts from the group?

"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2023, 08:17:50 PM »
I know my original 76 in 45-75 has a different looking chamber than the Uberti and my Uberti is supposed to be the more updated (correct dimension) chamber but they are noticably different just looking at fired brass. The original fired brass is more rounded, coke bottle looking shape rather than sharp edges of shoulder very much like it appears yours to be. I can't say I've tried to rechamber a fired case without running through a sizer die.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2023, 10:00:04 PM »
Mine is the so called Uberti Chamber. The shoulder is quite a bit forward than normal.  My internet is down so I'm on my phone, don't have the pic of the difference for a couple more days. I'll post it when I can.
King Medallion

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2023, 12:00:00 PM »
I will echo what Mr. King says in that my Uberti has their chamber and during the adventures of reloading over the years I have discovered a difference in rim diameter.  The Uberti didn't like the brass from Quality Cartridge company as the rims were to small in diameter.  Also the first shell holder I got from Buffalo Arms years ago was a Lyman for the original 45-75 but new production cases were to large in diameter to fit the holder.  Call to folks at Buffalo and they got the correct one exchanged with me.  Learned from them there was indeed a size difference in original and new in several ways.  Older pic I have posted before showing a once fired then reloaded round next to a new case - hopefully the pic shows the difference in shape.  All part of the fun enjoying these rifles and their cartridges!!!

Offline Square Butte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2023, 01:22:20 PM »
Alright - First post over here. Greetings fellow 45-75 WCF types. I am considering ordering some 45-75 brass from Rocky Mountain Cart. Co. - And am wondering if there is any difference in what R.M.C. is turning out based or original specs. COMPARED TO Jamison Brass. I am going to be using it in a later production Cimarron/Uberti 1876 Crossfire Carbine. The Jamison brass functions well - But is there any significant difference between the RMC brass based on original spec.'s and the Jamison brass?? I thought about sending them a Jamison case if the difference between the two. Another way of asking the same question is, does the RMC brass function properly in latter production Cimarron guns - Thanks for taking a look and appreciate any answers in advance

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2023, 04:43:59 PM »
Square Butte,

I use both RMC and Jamison brass in my Uberti 45-75.  The rifle likes them both.  The rims on the RMC are a little thicker but have experienced no issues with this, just notice a little more tension on the lever on going into battery but as noted, both work great with the rifle.  The RMC brass comes a little long to let you trim to the length you want.  It is heavy walled brass as it is made via turning out on a machine as opposed to draw process in Jamison.  Different approaches to making a case but same result.  Best of luck in your efforts.  Let us know how things progress.

P.B.

Offline Square Butte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2023, 12:50:10 PM »
Thanks very much P. B. - Exactly what i was looking for. Curious if your Uberti has the earlier or later chamber dimensions

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2023, 01:21:27 PM »
Well the rifle is approximately 11 years old and was purchased brand new.  The short answer is, I don't know but with its age would guess earlier. 

P.B.

Offline Square Butte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2023, 05:07:02 PM »
If your fired cases look fairly similar to your new cases, then you probably have the later style chamber. If your fired cases show much less of a step, then you have the earlier chamber style.

Offline missourijack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2023, 06:18:01 PM »
Ok, I scored a Cimarron 1876 NWMP Carbine and want to shoot BP in the 45-75 cartridges. Since ammo is currently unobtainable, I have quested for an alternative. My online search for components has not been fruitful. Aside from powder ,primers and 20 cases (I bought the last 20) I have had no luck finding bullets. I have no experience casting my own. Any guidance on how to proceed is appreciated !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com