Author Topic: Blackpowder FAQ  (Read 40251 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Blackpowder FAQ
« on: March 15, 2004, 03:14:51 PM »

Here's an old Cas City feature written by By F.G. Black, SASS member #7213.

http://www.cascity.com/bpfaq.htm
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blackpowder FAQ
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 03:37:25 PM »
That's a great summation there! FG obviously knows his stuff when it comes to black powder! :)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:42:01 AM »
Good article for the novice ;)

Lawdawg

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:25:12 AM »

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 06:41:19 PM »
Good article!  And goodness, my black powder shooters cost me a 'wee bit' more than $700.  Thanks for the posting Marshal.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Big Boss Man

• Big Boss Man
  • Citizen
  • Born On The Dark Side! 100 Years Too Late!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 12:36:49 AM »
Pardon my ignorance if I am posting this in the wrong place.  I just purchased a new Ruger Old Army and when I took it to the back 40, I tried about 6 cylinder loads and each and every time, the first time around all failed to fire.  The second time I made the round on the same cylinder they all fired. I tried #10 and #11 primers and the same result.  I made sure they were seated fine but that made no difference.  It was as if the first go round, the hammer seated the cap and the second go round it fired.  Has this ever happened to anyone else.   :-\
SASS Life 33232
NRA Life

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 06:27:26 AM »
It was as if the first go round, the hammer seated the cap and the second go round it fired.

Yup! It happens sometimes, when yer caps don't fit yer nipples properly. A couple of things ya can do to cure this: Try another brand of caps, try another brand of nipples, turn yer nipples down to fit yer caps.

Bottom line is, the caps should seat all the way down on the nipples without using very much force to seat them. Some folks use a wooden dowel to push the caps down on the nipples, I
don't reccomend this practice, but it werks fer some. I prefer to have the nipples fitted to the caps so that they seat with a firm push from the capping tool.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 04:29:07 PM »
I'll go along with Cuts.  I tried the dowel rod and gave up on it as maybe not so bright.  Just try to get the right sizes and let 'er rip!  Takes a little experimenting but it's still FUN !!
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 10:17:36 PM »
Another possibility is that there is oil or grease in the nipples themselves which would block the fire from reaching the powder. I always swab out the cylinders with alcohol to remove the oil before I go shoot and then run a pick through each nipple before I cap it.  You may think you don't have a nipple pick but you do. Some people call them paper clips. ;)

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 07:59:20 AM »
Try firing a cap on empty chambers before loading and firing.  Point the pistol in a safe directiopn when doing this.  It tells if the caps are firing and clears any small impediments from the nipple.  I have Rugers and needed to move to the Remington Hot caps I found at Wal-Mart of all places before it shot reliably.  Keep experimenting and you will get there.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 12:13:03 PM »
"there is one correct load. Black powder or Pyrodex is poured into the case to a level when the bullet is fully seated, the powder is slightly compressed about one eighth inch.  "

A goodly number of us would take exception to that statement "one correct load"

Offline El Paso Pete

• Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 12:45:50 AM »
"A goodly number of us would take exception to that statement "one correct load"

I've never been a goodly number before.  ;D ;D  I have to compress the powder 7/16" in my .45 Colt, 42 grain loads.
I compress Goex 1F 9/16" in one of my 50-90 loads.  The amount of compression all depends on how much ya want to put in.  What ya don't want to do is leave an air space.  In the cartridge you'll have BP plus you may have a filler and/or a wad.  When ya seat the bullet you want to compress what ever ya got in the cartridge, 1/8" is a good minimum amount and more is OK.

I know nothing bout Pyrodex or any of the other counterfeits, only real Black Powder.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 08:12:37 AM »
There's iron in Petes' words.  I shot that 50-90 and it is one sweet gun, but do wear that recoil pad. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 02:34:55 AM »
calibrate the nipples so they are all the same highth...one end of cylynder to the nipple is what i was told..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 07:14:04 PM »
Another possibility is that there is oil or grease in the nipples themselves which would block the fire from reaching the powder. I always swab out the cylinders with alcohol to remove the oil before I go shoot and then run a pick through each nipple before I cap it.  You may think you don't have a nipple pick but you do. Some people call them paper clips. ;)

try this after you clean your pistol and or before you load them. This always seemed to work for me.
Mathew 5.9

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005, 07:21:26 PM »
the shootin iron link doesn't work....at least not for me.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 10:59:14 AM »
Calamity Jane speaks from the heart.  She has done extensive research into lightened, HIGHLY ACCURATE loads.  If you haven't been to her website, you should !

I prefer the Warthog loads myself, but don't put down the accuracy loads just because they aren't as hot.  Her loads CERTAINLY aren't gamer loads,  just accurate - and several come very close to original (un)Civil War loads; tho I don't recall that they used a filler with those loads.

Hope y'all had a Merry Christmas!

And Happy Boxing Day to you, CJ, Ratt. Jack, and all our Canadian Pards!  ( I wish we celebrated BD here in the US.  My Scottish wife and her family taught me about Boxing Day.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline gmatov

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 11:28:38 PM »
No one seems to have read Big Boss Man's question.

He said he capped 6 nipples, with 10 and 11 caps, and wheeled thru a cycle, and none popped, then snapped 6 more times and the same primers popped and fired.

You guys say try firing a clearing cap, or try cleaning with alcohol. It's not NOT firing, it's NOT detonating the cap. That does not call for a clearing cap, it calls for WHY the first hammer drop seems to be "hammer seating" the cap.

Have to go back to see what gun it is, but mebbe the mainspring is too light, in a Rem, torque the adjusting screw, get more spring tension, in a Colt, make sure the mainspring screw is snugged.

Some people like to back off a turn or 3 to lighten the trigger pull, also lightens the hammer fall.

It's been 3 weeks since the last reply to his problem, and some seem to be slanted toward cartridges..

help the guy, guys.

Cheers,

George

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 08:19:53 AM »
Pardon my ignorance if I am posting this in the wrong place.  I just purchased a new Ruger Old Army and when I took it to the back 40, I tried about 6 cylinder loads and each and every time, the first time around all failed to fire.  The second time I made the round on the same cylinder they all fired. I tried #10 and #11 primers and the same result.  I made sure they were seated fine but that made no difference.  It was as if the first go round, the hammer seated the cap and the second go round it fired.  Has this ever happened to anyone else.   :-\

All I know about the Ruger C&B's is I think they a coil type or wire mainspring...it may be they or one is broken or weak...just a guess. The other is make sure nothing has fallen down between the frame and the hammer and is stuck there, check to see the hammer is all the way forward when after you bring it down to rest...I'd suggest tearin down and puttin it back together if you haven't done so already. You said the caps were fullty seated so cap shouldn't be deformed or plugged. Try hammer seating the caps, , with chambers empty first and see it if helps. That's all I can think of.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline dpote

• Active citizen
  • All killer, no filler
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
I had the same problem Big Boss Man was having. I tried RWS 1075 and CCI mag #11 caps. Nothing fit, and it always took a second hammer strike to get the caps to seat. Remingtons are not available in my area. A friend had some very old Remington caps, the size was not marked on the tin, and those fit perfectly. I think the Ruger nipples are made for Remington caps.
I went and bought some Treso nipples, which are a shade smaller in diameter, and everything is good now. I sent Big Boss Man a PM explaining this, I posted here as well so everyone gets the information.

Be safe,
Dave

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 01:47:55 PM »
if the caps fired the second time around ... they probally aren`t seated on the nipples ... i use a wooden dowel  to push the tight ones on ..( of course keep her pointed down range ) ...... maybe some help on the subject ...
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com