Author Topic: Another Impressions Question  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Another Impressions Question
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
Would a Pancho Villa soldado armed with the carbinas trenta 94 Winchester 30-30 and a Colt New Service or S&W Tripple Lock be GAF legal?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Another Impressions Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
You could use the 94 and the New Service in the Militia class.  The Triple Lock is post 1900, (1908-1915) thus not allowed. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
Thanks,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:37:04 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
The soldados loved the 'Caribina Triente-Triente' - hell, they even wrote a song about them -  but the New Service and Triple Locks were pretty new and pretty pricy, so arming up with a Colt SAA or a big S&W DA.44 - or pretty much 'anything' built prior to 'La Revolucion' would've been far more common.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
You could use a K-frame S&W, though it must have fixed sights and a round butt to approximate the Pre-1900 configuration.  The big N frames are all Post 1900.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
I have a really nice Colt Army Special, but I prefer bigger bullets.  We (The Berger Sharp Shooters) have a picture of a person who appears to quite possibly be one of Villa's solidados on our web site.  His pistol looks like a S&W to me but I am not sure.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:42:50 PM »

Fernando Lamas as Chucho Morales in "Powder Keg". It's a little blurry, but that's a Colt's New Service .45 he's menacing someone with-

I think there's quite a few of us that still would like to see someone run one of these huge Colts rapid fire doble action-with a one handed hold "like they did it back then" ;)

I usually run single actions one handed, but when it comes to a DA, I wrap two hands around that mother-especially such a manly a weapon like the Colt's New Service!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
Of course, you could use the triple lock in an expansion era match.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
Charles,
      You should have been at the 2010 Department of the Missouri Muster!  I shot a New Service in .45 Colt one handed, and it IS a handful!  I shot it double action, but I don't know if you could have honestly called it "rapid fire".  They are fun, though!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 05:54:29 AM »
For some reason I thought you had fired your M1902 Smith & Wesson .38 in that one and don't know how I came to that conclusion.

I'll draw and shoot one handed with a New Service for a quick shots at close range, but for accurate DA fire, a one hand hold would require me to pull the trigger so slowly that I might as well have just cocked the thing in the first place! The medium frame Smith & Wessons and Colt's New Army and Navy revolvers work OK for me one hand DA, but really need two hands to speed things up.

I bet it was quite challenging to handle that big Colt accurately in one handed double action mode-great job Col. Neiderlander!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 05:38:19 AM »
I think I used the S & W in the national muster.  Once you've used the New Service a while, it's amazing how light and smooth a Smith & Wesson feels.  What's cool is that we can use both as we see fit!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
Let's not forget the big S&W Break Open .44's and .45's that were used south of the border in both single and double action.  The Spanish sold a bunch of copies of the S&W New Model Russians to their former colonies as attested to the ones that have surfaced in Central and South America over the years.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »
Let's not forget the big S&W Break Open .44's and .45's that were used south of the border in both single and double action.  The Spanish sold a bunch of copies of the S&W New Model Russians to their former colonies as attested to the ones that have surfaced in Central and South America over the years.

The "knock-offs" of S&W top-break revolvers were produced in the Eibar gunmaking region of Spain since at least the early 1880's, and were in fact officially approved as sidearms for Spanish Army officers.  Interestingly, two double-action versions were adopted by Great Britain as substitute military service revolvers during WWI, chambered in .455 and officially called "Pistol, O.P. ['Old Pattern'], No. 1, Mark I" and "Pistol, O.P., No. 2, Mark I".  The actual pistols received for service varied a bit in configuration, because they were actually produced by consortiums of small gunmakers, but here are the two War Department "Sealed Pattern" revolvers -

I have an example of each, although at present only my O.P. No. 1 revolver (top) is operational -

I have sometimes wondered if I would be permitted to use one of these revolvers in GAF competition, or even an NCOWS match.  Although manufactured in the early 20th Century, they are definitely 19th Century designs .....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
All S&W top breaks, both single and double action, and any faithful copys thereof, are permitted in the GAF regulations, subject to such limitations as would apply to any other handgun.  (must be related in period to the rifle used, must be reasonable to the presentation, et al.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com