Author Topic: I*XL Knives  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
I*XL Knives
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »
I have an I*XL 5-1/2" Bowie with stag scales. At least that's what I'd call the blade style. Not sure it's big or long enough to be a true Bowie knife. Probably just a belt knife. Anyway, what I'm interested in learning is the background of this brand. I acquired this over 25 years ago and was told then the brand was a well know import in the 19th Century. That might have been a sales pitch from the guys selling it at the gun show. I just don't know.This one is marked as made by Geo. Wostenholm  Sheffield, England. Any of you knife fanciers know any more about them?

Dave

1961MJS

Re: I*XL Knives
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
Hi

I searched on "I*XL Knife" and came up with quite a bit of stuff.  Most of the stuff I came up with isn't of our era.  I did find an auction that had a more period bowie.

Good luck.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »
If you now know it's built by Wostenholm, what's the sticking point in your digging deeper?

If it's a small bowie with a wooden handle - chances are high it was contracted by 'Atlanta Cutlery' and sold by them and if so, it's not a period piece, just a nice knife.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:58:18 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
Once again I haven't made myself clear. I know this isn't a period piece. It is newly (20th Century) manufactured. My question is if the info I was given by the seller way back when I bought it, that I*XL knives were well know in the 19th Century, was valid or just sales hype. I'm not very good researching things on the internet so I was hoping someone here might know about the I*XL history.

Dave

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »
Of course they were.

And, I knew exactly which one you own.

They were a premium knife with a solid reputation, and they earned it in the Nineteenth Century with explorers, sailors, hunters and a whole host of outdoors-living men.

They were used by fur trappers, freighters, cowboys - by anyone with need of a 'good' knife - and Wostenholm made cutlery and bayonets for the British Army.

They made a lot of the 'Bowie' style - in many blade lengths and varying finished and handles.

Look up the trade name - insert a dash, or allow for a single space - and add 'history' - as in:  'IX*L knives - history' - you'll find what you're looking for.

Scouts Out!

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
Thanks St. George! Appreciate the help in navigating the web (smile).

Dave

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »
Just remember - a computer will give you precisely what you as it for - it won't think for you - so be certain of the wording of your question, and be brief.

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com