Author Topic: QUIET my Rosey Re . . . . .  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
QUIET my Rosey Re . . . . .
« on: November 28, 2021, 08:41:09 AM »

HEY!!  What's going on !!!

Turkey (or Ham) Day is over.  Everbody had a chance to snooze off being over filled.  It's time to get out there and PLAY!!!  Or at least talk about playing.  Or something.

We can all (except me) whine about GOEX going down the tubes while those of us who Champion APP Gloat.  Or figure out which imported Black Powder to switch to.

I personally find it difficult to brag much about ho wonderfully I'm currently shooting because everything around here is covered in a bunch of Courier & Ives stuff.  And it's just too cold for an old coot

So alla Yunz plug in them Lap Tops and get this show onna ROAD!!!!

Play Safe.  It's slicker-n-snot onna door knob out there

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: QUIET my Rosey Re . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
OK, I'll play.

My latest acquisition isn't intended for CAS or Living History.  It's purpose is for repelling boarders a bit further out than shotgun range.  Might also be a "truck gun" on occasion.  I'm putting it here because, despite it's intended purposes it is still a gun with Old West connections, at least in the imagination.

Most of the '92 Winchester copies, and for that matter the Marlin '94, have been victimized by the safety Nazis.  The all have some variety of added on and totally unnecessary hammer block safety.  For about a year I've been looking for an early enough version/copy that it doesn't have that crap but when I found one it was either more than I was willing to spend or I just didn't have the money before the auction ended.

This was complicated by my wanting a 38/357 version rather than the more popular 44s.  When I occasionally came across a non-safety 357 they wanted big bucks.

In searching for said example I settled on the long out of production Browning B-92.  Made by Miroku in Japan they are touted to be well crafted examples of JMB's original design.  Sadly a lot of other folks seem to have come to the same conclusion.  When a 357 B-92 showed up they were quickly scarfed up, no matter the price.  One, reported to be new in the box, was priced at $2495.  And it didn't last all that long.  YIKES!

Well, a couple weeks ago I stumbled across a B-92 in the desired caliber that showed a bit of wear.  This little carbine had been carried and shot a fair amount with dings on the polyurethane coated stock and some bluing wear on the high spots.  The bright side was the opening bid was about half of what the better examples were being offered for.

So I put in the starting bid (still a little more than I wanted to pay but I'm getting old and inflation is going to destroy my money's purchasing power anyway) and forgot about it, convinced I would be out bid and probably by $5. (lol)

Shock of shocks, I won the auction.  It took almost two weeks to get it here (both USPS and UPS seem to have lost their edge - snark!) but what a pleasant surprise when I picked it up at the FFL.  It was in much better shape than the photos made it seem.  The action is smooth and it seems to feed my 38-44 hand loads, at least out in the shop.
I have a couple thousand of those 38-44s (158@1125 from a 4" revolver) so the B-92 will have lots of food to digest in practice and plinking.  (smiley face goes here)

Dave

PS:  My apologies since this isn't going to be used as a black powder cartridge gun. Just wanted to give the maker of coffins something to read.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:03:43 AM »

:)  All Righty Dighty   ;)

And a Good read it twaz.  So DaveT got the ball rolling . . . . NEXT!!

Oh cummon.  Somebody else gotta be warm and breathing !!!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:44:36 AM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 09:40:01 AM »
I'll play also. I finally acquired enough primers to allow me to begin experimenting again, and the weather is more or less co-operating, but then the neighbor called. Informed me that he is turning his cows in on the corn stubble, which is fine because it is HIS corn field, and HIS cows, but MY shooting range is just this side of the corn field. So basically, I will not be doing any shooting until the cows are moved back out. Maybe in a month or two. No big deal.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »
With the help of a couple of my brawny nephews, got a bunch of boxes moved to the attic and found an unopened box at the bottom of the stack. The LAST unopened box from moving last December, and within was a bunch of metal signs and old license plates I could not find before. NOW I can get the garage decorating finished!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »
I have a stack of old license plates, old as in from our deceased vehicles. If I can get enough, I'd like to shingle a porch roof with them. A small porch roof :)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »
OK, my turn at bat.......

I recently acquired a Uberti '76 Winchester in 45-75 from a friend.  He claimed rather poor accuracy.  It quickly became obvious he was shooting a bullet with inadequate lube capacity for black powder and OAL was rather short.  I got a mold that's a copy of the original Winchester bullet to try, but while it carried much more lube, it was still not enough for the 28" barrel.  So.........I go back to the mold maker and had another one made with deeper lube grooves.  I got that and loaded some ammo yesterday.  Off to the range today to try it out.  I am expecting (hoping?) for much improved accuracy.  Should be a fun shooter once I get the ammo sorted out.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »
I've got two projects for this winter.  The first is my Uberti 1860 Henry Civil War Model.  It took a fall from the roof of my P/U truck at highway speed onto the gravel shoulder and now needs a new butt stock.  I'll find a nice piece of American walnut and whittle out something that is a little more user friendly than the factory stock...higher comb, a little longer LOP, maybe a shotgun butt, chequered wrist.
The second is work on a hammerless double 12 gauge, getting it ready for CAS.  It needs the springs filed to allow the gun to be cocked without leaning on the barrels, and the chambers slicked for easier feed and dump.  Any thoughts on those two operations from folks who have been there before me, would be much appreciated.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 04:47:28 PM »
Wellllll my dear netizens....

Since they are not old timey
You probably don't want to hear about

My 1.5" 12 guage project
In a bullpup Mossberg ....

Yhs
Prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 05:40:04 PM »
Wellllll my dear netizens....

Since they are not old timey
You probably don't want to hear about

My 1.5" 12 guage project
In a bullpup Mossberg ....

Yhs
Prof mumbles

How long will the project take?  Maybe it will be old timey when you finish?   :D

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:55 PM »
How long will the project take?  Maybe it will be old timey when you finish?   

Aha! A valid Question based upon my tracj record!

it is actually a complete, fully functional Death Star thingy!
I currently have the little rubber block for the 1.5" microshells removed until I can runa t least a hundred thru for
a proper function test. Until then I am using stock 2.75's and homebrew 2" that do not require the rubber ramp...
those cycle perfectly in everything, including my Grandpa's project Marlin 1898 ( heavy checked and rechecked courtesy Maurader's excellent site)

The Marlin is at least old timey, and I have both the original 30" full choke barrel and a cutdown 20" barrel/magazin set.

These things are actually quite amazing in that the takedown barrel rinf can be adjusted, and once one is familiar with their function and "safety issues"
they are quite reliable and as safe as a Win '97, despite the evil corporate lawyer letter.

If anyone is interested,  I can post etchings of both...

yhs
prof (I finally finished something) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 06:53:05 AM »
I acquired a 73 that was "well used" in 38-40. It had a couple of problems but nothing that can't be fixed. It would not lift the cartridge high enough to feed properly and the tab on the bottom of the bolt is missing. After cleaning and straightening the lifter arm it feeds properly and if it is run gently it extracts the cartridges. The barrel has a few pits but still is accurate out to 200 yds. I haven't shot it past that distance but am pretty sure it will be fine.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »

If anyone is interested,  I can post etchings of both...

yhs
prof (I finally finished something) marvel

Please do!

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com