Author Topic: Finally jumped off into this world of old percussion pistols  (Read 1072 times)

Offline PBoxx62

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Well this is a pic of my new Pietta New Model Army "General Custer" that I purchased recently.
I must say it is a pretty gun for $350.00
Reading all the in and outs of this new to me world of SA's I chose this over the other options available in todays market.
I've been handling firearms for a long while now. over 50 years and as well reloading metallic and shotguns for 40 years and shooting BP's from I built from the late 60's.
My first comment is that I have never purchased a firearm that had so much metal shavings in it that it wouldn't even work the action or move the loading lever.
I washed at least a full teaspoon of shavings from the entire gun and trimmed so many burs it wasn't funny. To me that's just shameful to allow a product to be sent to a customer like that.
Anyway, with some tuning with a file and sandpaper, I'm ready to take the Chrono and some boolits to the range and see what this puppy can do!!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Finally jumped off into this world of old SA's
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 08:31:51 AM »

:) Well  ;)

I'm sorry (no I'm not), but there isn't enough space inside the action of your Remington reproduction for a "full teaspoon" of metal shavings, etc.

Offline PBoxx62

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 09:11:56 AM »
Well, evidently I must wear orthopedic shoes because I stand corrected.

Yes, I did not take one of momma's measuring spoons to get the exact mount of shavings that was removed, I guess I must of needed to take a picture to prove my point. The majority of the trash removed was in and around the barrel but anyway that's neither here nor there.

Basically, being my first post here on this site, I meant to ask if anyone here was using Pyrodex Select in these SAA's or do the majority of all person's here use strictly Black Power? I do know that Select is a FFG equivalent and preffered to be used in rifles and shotguns although I've been using it in a .45 Kentucky pistol for years.

These shoes are killin my feet!!

::)

Advertising

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
Not intending to pile on but your new revolver is more properly referred to as a 'Percussion' gun than calling it a 'single action' even though it is indeed a single action in function.

Also, please do not refer to this as a "SAA". That is a very specific designation for the "Single Action Army", 1873 Colt, as adopted by the Ordinance Department that year for issue to the military. The 'SAA' was never a percussion revolver of any persuasion.

Dave

Offline PBoxx62

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 10:46:26 AM »
Oh by all means Dave T and anyone else pile on !!!

One doesn't obtain knowledge from not being corrected and believe me I've got wide enough shoulders to take what anyone here can dish out.
I didn't get to this age in life wearing all my feelings on my sleeve.

Anyway, note taken on the verbiage and I do appreciate the help.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1214
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 10:52:42 AM »
While a few folks here use or have used Pyrodex, many will avoid it and recommend against it due to corrosion issues.  I think Coffinmaker refers to it as a rusting agent that happens to burn.  If you use it, clean very well and then a few days later check and clean again.

Although I don't use percussion guns, I like real black powder.  For those who use substitutes, American Pioneer Powder seems to be the most popular.  It is not found on store shelves and usually must be ordered.  Shooter's World Multi-Black is made by APP and is often in stock at Natchez.  Some like 777 because it is easy to find (like Pyrodex), but it is more powerful so use a little less.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4950
Re: Finally jumped off into this world of old percussion pistols
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 11:09:11 PM »
Hiya and welcome to the place. You do have a really good looking gun! You will find out [as if you hadn't noticed already] that folks trying to help can seem opinionated in our hobby. But the crew here is awfully good folks, so stick around.
Yeah Pyrodex will work and work well for this hobby, however, it is commonly referred to as a great rusting agent that doubles as a gunpowder. So if you do use it, scrub thoroughly and then scrub again when cleaning. Give the gun a good wipedown with an oiled cloth and then check it again each day for a day or so to make sure it's not getting rust spots.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 01:45:34 AM »
 Not a fan of Pyrodex and or Triple 777,
 I tried the pellets once (just the once  ::)) in my LaMat, failed to impress me. I got rid of the pellets.
  I do have some Shockey Gold (APP -not sure if that label branding is still made)
I bought it when Gander Mountain sold out and close its Florida stores.
I also have a few pounds of KIK from a 25# group buy....

Cap & Balls 1860 Arnys get the KIK, I use the APP only in cartridges now...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 09:34:18 AM »

:) Yessiree Bob  ;)

Thated be Me!!  I don't even consider Pyrodex to be worth fertilizer.  And, IT IS a rusting agent that just happens to burn.  Everything said above about cleaning after Pyro is spot on.  Must remember "Rust Never Sleeps" and Pyro is King of Rust.

In other news . . . . I'm a poster boy for APP.  I personally consider it the bestest Black Powder Substitute going.  I utilize it for EVERYTHING.  2f is just wondrous for Shotgun and some large Rifle cases.  3f is the Beez Kneez for Pistol cartridges.  I load it both for Pistol and Pistol caliber rifle ammo.  Also my "GO-TO" for all my percussion gunz.  Clean-Up is super easy.  Try it, Yule Like it.

Offline PBoxx62

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 12:15:37 AM »
UPDATE

Well since everyone here has been very helpful in my trials and tributes, I figured I’d give an update on the aftermath. And thank you all again for your time.

If my feeble mind recalls the black powder from back in the day was, depending on what you were looking at, it appeared to be a much larger granule than the ones today and very inconsistent in size and very expensive. With that in mind the substitutes were located everywhere like today, so hence the choice of PS (Pyrodex Select)  back then. I’m usually the type of person that if I find something that works well, I don’t change it.
Although after doing more research lately and being a little influenced here, I purchased a pound of Schutzen FFF and a pound of Swiss FF to shoot exclusively out of this new Pietta just to try it out.

Looking into the APP products and other sub’s that have been mentioned (sorry Major 2 KIK is no longer available from what I can find) and so I found that they all contained potassium perchlorate at a rate of 20-40 % so I didn’t see any difference with PS or another substitute. I’m pretty annul with my cleaning regimen after shooting with any of my guns so really rust always sleeps at Neils house. (hope you get the pun coffinmaker)

So, I must say that I was highly impressed with the granulation of these two powders and the ability to maintain a more precise measurement when loading these powders. Utilizing these in my older ML’s pistols also showed close to the same results on the chrono and took about the same time to clean.

So, with my reloads of Titegroup at 5.6 grains their pushin’ about 790-803 fps with a 3” group at 25 yds and loading the cylinder with approximately 25 grains of FFF it’s pushing right at 810 fps with a 4.5” group at 25. with CCI #11 a bit faster with RWS 1075's. H-6 was all over the paper with speeds of 800-943 so I ditched that recipe. I won’t mention that it took 7 rounds with readings of 140 fps to realize I needed to ditch the wads and go with some grease in the cylinders. It’s all a learning game!! A bit more dialing on these loads and changing the factory nipples to slix I’m sure to get better results.
Now I just need to find a load with some BP in colt case and see what I can do there.
Again, thanks for your help gentlemen.

As the old sayin’ goes
“If your not mental, I’ll be gentle”

;D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 01:27:07 AM »
"sorry Major 2 KIK is no longer available from what I can find "

I failed to say... how long ago it was, "We" participated in the GROUP buy  :-\
  or how long it takes to shoot 25 pounds.

I even have a metal can from Elephant brand that is probably from the mid 90's  :) Brings back memories of Civil War reenacting.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com