Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 5220 times)

Offline J.B. Justice

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Guy
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I recently applied for BOLD membership and I thought I would introduce myself. In my late 20's, I bought a brand new Ruger Vaquero and a one year membership to SASS with the intention of pursuing CAS. I got hired as a law enforcement officer shortly after and had to sell the blue steeled beauty to pay for a duty weapon and some other needed equipment for the new job. A new career, then a wife, and eventually a kid put the hobby on hold for a while. Maybe just turning 40 had something to do with it, but the time seems right to pursue this endeavor I had to put off years ago.  :)

Right now I'm in the process of starting from scratch and would love any advice. I need to purchase guns, a leather rig, clothes, etc. I started by renewing my SASS membership and will be contacting a club not far from me so I can check things out and eventually participate. There also seems to be a wealth of information in the CAS forum.

I started my career working as a part time police officer in a small town in southern Minnesota while going to college. I currently work for a Sheriff's Office in the Twin Cities, Minnesota Metro Area. I started as a civilian detention deputy in the jail and then became a sworn deputy assigned to patrol. Currently, I'm a sergeant assigned to the patrol division.

I look forward to getting to know you folks!  ;D

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
Welcome, enjoy yourself every chance you get.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Deputy JR Parker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I recently applied for BOLD membership and I thought I would introduce myself. In my late 20's, I bought a brand new Ruger Vaquero and a one year membership to SASS with the intention of pursuing CAS. I got hired as a law enforcement officer shortly after and had to sell the blue steeled beauty to pay for a duty weapon and some other needed equipment for the new job. A new career, then a wife, and eventually a kid put the hobby on hold for a while. Maybe just turning 40 had something to do with it, but the time seems right to pursue this endeavor I had to put off years ago.  :)

Right now I'm in the process of starting from scratch and would love any advice. I need to purchase guns, a leather rig, clothes, etc. I started by renewing my SASS membership and will be contacting a club not far from me so I can check things out and eventually participate. There also seems to be a wealth of information in the CAS forum.

I started my career working as a part time police officer in a small town in southern Minnesota while going to college. I currently work for a Sheriff's Office in the Twin Cities, Minnesota Metro Area. I started as a civilian detention deputy in the jail and then became a sworn deputy assigned to patrol. Currently, I'm a sergeant assigned to the patrol division.

I look forward to getting to know you folks!  ;D

Welcome J.B.: 

I'm a new guy as well.  I am "semi-retired" from LE after 35 years.  Retired from a Sheriff's Department (Lt. of Detectives) and went back to work 4 months later as a trainer...    I too recently went to my first SASS shoot.  Lots of friendly folks willing to share info on their favorite shootin irons.  I've got my "Gpa's" old Springfield dbl 12 ga and a win 1897 that doesn't look like much but runs fine (and kicks like a mule).  Had an Old model Vaquero 45lc, borrowed a second from a buddy.  Shot my first match..  Was more of a mental game (learning all the sequences).   Ended up 9th out of 16 so not bad for a first timer...  Did better than two of the three guys I went with..  Finding the right gun / err I mean guns is an expensive endeavor.  I built my own gear (hobby is building ccw holsters) so it works for me..  Built a couple of rigs for the guys I shoot with as well...  Wish I had tried it years ago.  Didn't know I could have that much fun with my duds on..  Besides every kid wants to grow up to be a cowboy...  ;D   Oh Yea.. got my BOLD number today #1107

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:20:41 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Welcome, gents. This is a good place to be.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4643
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
Glad you guys are here! I'm still doing the Parole Agent bit [5 years and the house is paid off and I'm gone]. Zoot Shooter myself, but the Wild Bunch stuff looks like a ton of fun too.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com