Author Topic: Need Some Historical Assistance  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Some Historical Assistance
« on: April 04, 2004, 08:32:59 AM »
Have been researching early Texas Rangers and have encountered a character named AGATON (see excerpt below about Captain Jack Hays) or AGATON QUINONES (in another source). Would like to find out more about this AGATON, but have been drawing a blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hamp

"In the next expedition, made in April 1841, Hays took more vigorous measures. A considerable trade had sprung up on the Mexican border between the Texans and Mexicans. The traders brought into San Antonio beans, sugar, flour, leather, shoes, and saddles, to exchange for calico, bleached and unbleached, tobacco, and American hardware. Early in 1841 two of these traders left San Antonio with a heavy cargo and were attacked by a band of freebooters under Agaton.
Hays set out immediately with twelve Americans, including himself, and thirteen Mexicans under Captain Antonio Perez, a daring Indian fighter and citizen of San Antonio. On their way down, they stopped at Antonio Navarro’s ranch to bury two Mexicans killed by the Comanches a day or two before. On the third day out, an express rider passed post-haste in the night carrying the news from San Antonio that the Texans were coming. The result was that the Rangers were met ten miles from Laredo on April 7 by Captain Garcia with a party of about thirty-five men who had come out to capture the gringos. They rode up to the Texans sounding a bugle, made an attack, crying out to Hays and his men to surrender or they would be overwhelmed by superior forces. Some shots were exchanged, and the Mexicans withdrew, leaving one dead on the field. The six-shooter, which enabled men to fight on horseback, was not yet in use, and in the fight that followed, the Texans would dismount, charge the Mexicans, then mount and follow. Finally, the Mexicans dismounted and made a stand, the Texans charged, drove them from their position, and captured their horses. The Mexicans grounded their arms and called for quarter, with the exception of the captain and three wise men who remained on horseback. The Rangers found three dead and three wounded on the field, took twenty-five prisoners and twenty-eight horses with saddles and bridles. Captain Garcia carried the news of his defeat to Laredo with the result that consternation prevailed and many of the residents jumped the river.’ The alcalde came with a white flag to beg that the Texans spare the town and to accede to any demand that might be made. Hays told him that all he wanted was Agaton and protection for the traders to San Antonio. The Rangers, who had received no injuries, then set out for San Antonio with their prisoners."

Offline Onery Arlys

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need Some Historical Assistance
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 08:07:22 AM »
what book did you get this out of ? i've gopt quite a few books on rangers that is why i ask i'm getting them know to look up what you ask
The lord does not judge a man until he's dead then why sould i
Someone should bust you in the mouth....but i won't...i won't ....to hell i won't

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 02:00:38 PM »
Onery,

Sorry  I didn't respond sooner, but I just found your post.

The account included in my post was in Walter Prescott Webb's The Texas Rangers, and footnotes indicate it was based on two accounts found in Ford's Memoirs (MS).  One is Hays's report published in the Austin Sentinel, April 22, 1841; the other is by P.L. Buquor, said to have been published in he Floresville Chronicle.

Another account, in which he was identified as Agaton Quinones, was found online, not in a hard copy source.

This Agaton evidently didn't leave many tracks (or records) that I've been able to locate.

Appreciate your interest.

Hamp

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:58:20 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com