Author Topic: Reloading for Beginners  (Read 47890 times)

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reloading for Beginners
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 11:24:51 PM »
If you are new to reloading, or wanting to up grade, check out ebay. I got a dillon 550b press for less than 300. Rock chunker go for 35 to 80. Before bidding check the prices of new to what you are wanting to pay. also watch out for shipping, they can really gouge you there.  ;)

Offline OldGeezer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 02:18:24 PM »
I'll stay with Dillon because of their customer service and their products.  Every business ought to have customer service like theirs
To err is human, to forgive is divine.  However that isn't  my policy

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »
Howdy!

One of the best things that has happened to the shooting equipment industry IS Dillon.  Their service was so far ahead of the others (when Dillon started) that they have forced the other manufacturers to do better.   Most or all of the major companies now have great company service, many on a par with Dillon.

Of course, I don't want service similar to Dillon's, I have the real deal.  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:16:02 AM »

Offline Buck Rawhide

• RATS #446
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 07:47:19 PM »
Howdy,

I LOVE my 550B!!  Just getting into CAS.  Have one Vaquero on order that I pick up next week, (10 day wait), but have already received my dies, caliber conversion,etc.  Already have some .38 special loaded up for a gun I don't even have yet!!

Dillon's customer service is what makes them in my opinion.  I believe their warranty policy is 100% coverage.  I have yet to hear of someone that has contacted Dillon regarding a warranty item and not received it for free.

Take care,
Buck

Offline Pumphandle

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Question about Square Deal 'B'
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »
I recently got my Square Deal 'B' out of the cabinet for the first time in six years. I'm having a problem with my primers not seating completely, or at all. One out ten will seat properly. I'm (trying to) reload .45 LC. Everything else seems to be working OK. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 01:22:29 AM »
I recently got my Square Deal 'B' out of the cabinet for the first time in six years. I'm having a problem with my primers not seating completely, or at all. One out ten will seat properly. I'm (trying to) reload .45 LC. Everything else seems to be working OK. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

I can't help other than to say:

Call 'em.  They'll make it run right.

By the way, their 100% warranty does NOT cover the electronic devices, i.e. Tumblers, Digital scales, etc.  They told me this was because other companies make that stuff, not Dillon themselves.  Those things are covered for a year.

But the "hard"ware is a rock solid guarantee.

Go Big Blue!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:29 PM »
4 years after my original post.

SDB is still going strong.

Aluminum bracket on the back side cracked.  Sent it to Dillon, fixed at no charge.  Looks like they returned a new machine.

I'd call it a privot arm, one on each side.  One cracked, called Dillon a new PAIR was sent, again no charge.

Still loading 250 grain 45's and they still all go BOOM!

Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »
Go Big Blue!
Amen!!!

I'm almost sad to say that I've had to use the famous "No BS" warranty from Dillon... but I'm sure glad they have it.  Surprises me every time I have to call, admit that I've "lost" (just can't find it on my cluttered reloading bench) plastic part or locator pin for the shell plate, and even when I demand to pay for it... the guy sez, "got one right here in my desk, I'll get it in the mail this afternoon!
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
No question Dillon has the best warranty in the business.

I started out shooting High power so a progressive press was not really a good option as the rifle cases needed to be lubed and sized and then cleaned (tumbled a second time the first tumbling was be for lubing and sizing to take range grit off and polish the brass).  I got the Lyman 47 ed manual which gave really good instuctions.  Bought the Lyman T-Mag outfit from Mid South Shooters supply and never looked back.

Heavy loads of Rifle and Pistol Brass wore out the Initial tumbler in about 2 years shooting 2 - 3 matches a month in Summer and 2 in winter.  Bought the Dillon CV500 it has taken the load flawlessly and being much better and heavier build will probably function flawlessly long after I am pushing up daisies.

I did manage to loose the washer that goes under the lid closing nut.  I have not reported this to Dillon as I lost it, it was my fault and I do not want them to give me another free part to re-loose.  If I shot a whole lot more CASS I would get the High speed progressives from Dillon.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »
I saw someone above make reference to using a Lee Classic handloader for what looked like lever gun rounds.  I've seen a warning on some websites that sell the Lee Classic, to the effect that they aren't for lever gun loads.  Something about the die not resizing the entire brass?  Can someone explain exactly what that limitation means, since I don't have the experience yet to understand it?  Is it possible to buy dies that will allow the Lee Classic to be used with lever gun rounds?  I've been trying to figure out to to get started with reloading, and was considering the classic.

Maybe this could be its own separate thread, but since use of the Lee Classic was mentioned above, and since this is a thread on beginning reloading, I thought I'd go ahead and ask here.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
Semi Automatics and Lever action rifles do not have strong closing mechanisms like a bolt action to force a shell in to the chamber (somewhat over stated by me).  In anycase shells may be difficult to chamber.  Normal dies do not resize a shell completely and could be a problem. 

Some manufacures make small base dies that resize brass smaller that a normal die basically back to factory ammo size or very close to it.  These dies were made for lever and semi auto ammo to facilitate chambering.

Having said that I shot NRA high power for many years reloaded M-1, M-1A and M-15 Ammo with regular dies and did not have any difficulty chambering.  I have reloaded some for the 1894 Win 32 Spec I inherited from dad, again using regular dies without a problem.

Others may have had serious problems with "Normal" dies and swear by small base.

Small base dies work brass harder and potential reduce the number of reloads a case is good for. 
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
I saw someone above make reference to using a Lee Classic handloader for what looked like lever gun rounds.  I've seen a warning on some websites that sell the Lee Classic, to the effect that they aren't for lever gun loads.  Something about the die not resizing the entire brass?  Can someone explain exactly what that limitation means, since I don't have the experience yet to understand it?  Is it possible to buy dies that will allow the Lee Classic to be used with lever gun rounds?  I've been trying to figure out to to get started with reloading, and was considering the classic.

Maybe this could be its own separate thread, but since use of the Lee Classic was mentioned above, and since this is a thread on beginning reloading, I thought I'd go ahead and ask here.

I believe you are referring to the 2007 post from Cyrille above where he says he uses the Classic Handloader to reload 30-30 for a Marlin.  You might send him a PM asking about this.  Lee's website does state that the handloaders necksize only, so not for lever actions, pumps, or semi-autos.  Possibly by reloading only brass that was shot in your gun will allow the neck-sized reloads to work okay, I don't know.  I don't think you can use any other dies with the Lee Handloader.  Without a bench-mounted press you just don't have the leverage to full-length resize brass.

Offline sharps1863

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
I think it may be that the Lee Classic Handloader does not put a tight crimp on the bullet. This maybe why Lee does not recommend it in a lever rifle.
O.B. a Lee Classic Handloader does not have interchangeable dies. It is all in one unit made for one caliber only. If you want to start reloading and dont want to invest a lot of money take a look at the Lee Anniversary Kit. Plus get a good reloading how to manual. With good step by step instructions on how to reload a cartridge. Bad thing about starting out reloading now is the shortage of all the components to put a cartridge together with.
Now a member of the Spencer Shooting Society #430
Shooter of 1-Trapdoor Springfield 1- Maynard Carbine- 1- Brunswick Rifle- 1-.50cal Hawkin- 2 -1858 Remingtons- 1- 1851 Colt Sheriff-1- 2nd model Dragoon- 1 .75cal Brown Bess Carbine-and now 1- Armi Sport 56/50 Spencer
 Maybe I like Black-powder guns too Much

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
I used to have a couple of Lee PRO1000's

After one of them had a primer feeder explosion in my face I ditched them and switched to a pair of RL550s and never looked back.

I do still use my old 3 holed fully manual  LEE turret press quite a bit, and I love it for calibers that I don't need to crank out a bajillion rounds of in short notice.  I have maybe 15-20 different caliber die sets for it. It is really cheap and fast to swap calibers on it.

Now that you are reloading and saving a fortune, you can spend some of your massive pile of saved money on some quality bullet casting equipment and save even more money.

That saved money can of course be used to buy some other cool things ;-)

Rick

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
Lee Pro 1000 is a reliable and affordable machine. Find the configuration for your round and leave it alone. Problems? Yes but they all have problems. One piece of advise.......do not buy the Lee Loadmaster.

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
A Lee Loadmaster once disgraced my loading room 20 years ago.   It's the only tool I ever purchased that I actually threw away.

I was a slow learner about progressive presses.  Before the Loadmaster I had not one, but two Pro 1000 presses that were impossible to keep running.  I'm quite skilled with machines of all kinds but the Lee products vexed me.   I have known a couple of guys that swear by the Pro 1000 but honestly I just think they were lucky.

When I called to order an XL 650 I chatted with the Dillon rep about my experience with the Loadmaster and he summed up the tool neatly by saying " yep, Lee has some great ideas but then you actually have to use them."

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »
Dang this thread raised from the long ago grave once again.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2018, 12:50:27 AM »
Dang this thread raised from the long ago grave once again.

Every few years it reincarnates.  It's kind of interesting.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Question about Square Deal 'B'
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
Posted to a comment that was much older than I realized. OOPS!

Dave

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: Question about Square Deal 'B'
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2018, 08:54:06 AM »
Posted to a comment that was much older than I realized. OOPS!

Dave

I've said it before: If we can learn from old threads, let's resurrect them.  I have no problem with it; it's just interesting.  IT LIVES!!!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com