Author Topic: Help, I am new to this.  (Read 6376 times)

357/38

Help, I am new to this.
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »
I just purchase a Winchester 1873 reproduction Sporting color harden case model/ 357/ 38.
Many questions
1. What oil and clearer to use?
2. What type of ammo should use?
3. is ok to use round nose lead bullets?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Help, I am new to this.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »
Flat nose bullets ONLY.

Ammo to Cowboy Action Shooting specs or equivalent. NO +P rounds.

Many oil and cleaning products out there. Experiment. I use Ballistol, either mixed with water, 2 parts Ballistol to 8 parts water, or used straight. (I use Trail Boss powder in my reloads.)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
Right, flat point only.  You will hear of people who have used round nose and got away with it, but it is not recommended.  If you use .38's, they usually need to be at least 1.45" long or the action will jam.  That length varies some so YMMV.  Here is an article by Pettifogger which will explain how the action works and how to determine the minimum length needed for your ammo:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/togglelink.pdf

I like Ballistol because it is both smokeless and black powder friendly.  I use it like River City John diluted with water to clean, but only for black powder.  For smokeless, use it straight for cleaning.  It seems to take more patches to get the barrel clean when shooting smokeless than some other cleaners, but that's okay.  Always use it straight for lubing the bore after cleaning.  For smokeless only, there are a lot of good ones.  Rem-Oil has a lot of fans, though I've never tried it.  Break-Free CLP as well.

Enjoy your '73! 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:48:20 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com