Author Topic: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists  (Read 50772 times)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 08:26:44 PM »
Thanks for your kindness in the one year moratorium. I look forward to shooting with you guys if I can get over, and even though my pistol isn't approved to start with, it will give me a chance to see what approved guns I might like that are in my price range so I can be legal as soon as I can swing it, instead of being forced to just rush out and buy something blind so I can shoot with you guys. From what I am reading, my rifle is okay, so I just need to fix my pistol situation once I get started with you guys.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Stirrup:

A few other items you will want to avoid for NCOWS matches:

1). No "buscadero" drop leg holsters.  While these are seen in lots of movies, Hollywood made them up. They didn't exist in the Old West.
2).  2-shot cups for holding shotshells.  Most SASS shooters use these. They didn't exist in the Old West.
3).  Leather slides for holding ammo on your belt.

Our goal is to try and look as close to the real deal as we can (based on research).

Take a gander at my home club web site.  Our local posse judge did a great piece on authenticity for the new NCOWS shooter.     

http://www.bergersharpshooters.com/Authenticity___Links.html
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
  The brass framed 'Navy Grip' 1872 Open Top first appeared in Colt's catalog of 1872. Specifically referred to as: 'Navy Six Shot Revolving Pistol'. Oddly enough the illustration wood cut shows a Richards-Mason on the cover. Go figure.
  Also it is important to read the rules carefully as only belt slides for shotgun shells are not allowed. An example of period correct cartridge slide would be the M1874 Hazen Loop Slide. This leather loop slide had a short military life between the belt worn cartridge box and the Mills Co. canvas cartridge belt. As handy as the Hazen slide was that peculiar chemical effect between brass cartridges and leather, 'the green crud', gave the Hazen a short field life until the Mills Co. belts came under contract.

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »

That being said, The Blue River Regulators would welcome you with open arms! If I remember, the idea of a one year grace period to get your arms and gear correct is not officially written anywhere in NCOWS national policy, just a tradition. Although The Blue River Regulators have incorporated it into stated policy on our club by-laws.

RCJ  

Actually, it was formally introduced in By-Law 1-1 in 2010:

1-1. Any responsible person, 18 years of age or over, may become a full member of this organization after application and payment of the usual initiation fee and/or dues. Membership shall not be denied because of sex, age, religion, race, national origin or physical handicap.

NCOWS truly represents the period which it embraces. We recognize that this was a time when a man's word was his bond. It is our philosophy that this honor system is much preferable to legislation whenever possible. When an individual professes the desire to join our organization and participate in NCOWS events, local clubs work with new members, help them get their kit together and allow up to a year at the local or “posse” level to achieve “Level 1” authenticity as described by Marlan Ingram’s “Three Levels of Authenticity” attached elsewhere in these bylaws. Participation at Regional or National events requires full adherence to NCOWS standards and bylaws regardless of membership duration. (Amended March, 2010)

The one year is a really good addition, since not everyone is able to just jump in all at once.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:17:34 PM »

Offline MoonShine

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • SASS #: 20515L
  • NCOWS #: L-196
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2020, 02:02:24 PM »
Howdy!
New to the NCOWS game, long time SASS shooter.  My question is why is the Winchester made by Miroku on the un approved list?  Is it because of the Tang safety, or something else.
Thanks,
  MoonShine
MoonShine
SC Old West Shootists
NCOWS Life, SASS Life and NRA Life Benefactor Member

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
Howdy!
New to the NCOWS game, long time SASS shooter.  My question is why is the Winchester made by Miroku on the un approved list?  Is it because of the Tang safety, or something else.
Thanks,
  MoonShine

It’s because the new design of the Miroku has a factory designed in short stroke. Same with the Miroku 1866. Same action.

OklaTom@att.net

Offline MoonShine

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2020, 03:34:32 PM »
It’s because the new design of the Miroku has a factory designed in short stroke. Same with the Miroku 1866. Same action.

Thank you.  Didn't know that.
MS
MoonShine
SC Old West Shootists

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
The Unapproved and Approved lists will not open.  I get error 404.
So I'm asking....Are the Ruger Bisley Vaqueros approved or not?
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
Not, I believe.
Since 2006.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
Not, I believe.
Since 2006.
RCJ

Okay, I was just checking to see if they ever got approved.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »
The links in the first page of this topic are old and need to be replaced.  The links on NCOWS.Com are fine.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »
The Ruger Bisley is a semi copy of Elmer Keith's #4 not a Colt Bisley, therefore it will probably never be approved.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Frisco Banker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3122
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »
The links to the NCOWS Approved and Unapproved Lists at the beginning of this topic are now working.

Offline MoonShine

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Hello the fire ....
I have a question on shotguns I don't see addressed here.  I have 2 Model Winchester model 1897 shoguns with 20" barrels. I don't see anything in the approved or unapproved list in reference to barrel length.
While  can't prove it just off the top of my head I'm guessing in the 1800's barrels were shortened as a matter of convenience to fit the situation.
Thanks
MS
MoonShine
SC Old West Shootists

Offline OklaTom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
Hello the fire ....
I have a question on shotguns I don't see addressed here.  I have 2 Model Winchester model 1897 shoguns with 20" barrels. I don't see anything in the approved or unapproved list in reference to barrel length.
While  can't prove it just off the top of my head I'm guessing in the 1800's barrels were shortened as a matter of convenience to fit the situation.
Thanks
MS

Any federally legal barrel length is fine.

OklaTom@att.net

Offline MoonShine

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
Thank you OklaTom

MS
MoonShine
SC Old West Shootists

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2023, 12:20:25 PM »
Hello, new to NCOWS and trying to navigate the rules. Wife wants her own irons, and likes this look. I get the matte finish restriction, but what about this antique finish, that looks like a well worn nickel plated gun? Are these legal, or does she need shiny blue or nickel/chrome finish? Thanks! https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cattleman-5-5-357mag-antique-tuned-rc1-555100de.html

Offline OklaTom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2023, 03:31:50 PM »
Hello, new to NCOWS and trying to navigate the rules. Wife wants her own irons, and likes this look. I get the matte finish restriction, but what about this antique finish, that looks like a well worn nickel plated gun? Are these legal, or does she need shiny blue or nickel/chrome finish? Thanks! https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cattleman-5-5-357mag-antique-tuned-rc1-555100de.html

In the strictest definition of the word anachronistic, the “antique” finish is a bit. By that I mean that a firearm purchased in the 19th century would still look pretty new, perhaps with some holster wear in the period we try for (1865 to 1899). However, since it is legal for people to shoot original firearms that have not been refinished, I see no real difference in those and the “antique” finish on new production. In my opinion, as Judge for NCOWS, I say if that is what she (or you) like, use it. I have a couple myself, including the prototype of the Cimarron @Rooster Shooter”.

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2023, 05:01:26 PM »
Thanks. And I agree, it’s probably a little TOO antique patina, but a working, daily carry 1873 would probably look pretty rough by 1880. So honesty probably not TOO far off, for some arms. Probably more realistic than super shiny blue and chrome most have anyway, I can’t imagine many looked like that after a couple years on the trail. Just didn’t want yo spend money on a gun just to get turned away on the technicality.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com