Author Topic: Capt Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica ---- WOW!!  (Read 26770 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Capt Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica ---- WOW!!
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:29:11 PM »
After much teeth gnashing, carpet walking and hopping up and down, my Brandy Damed New Capt. Schaeffer Replicas arrived today.  My initial impression when I opened the box was WOW.  After all the agonizing, I/we are not to be disappointed.  Overall fit and finish is really good.  The laser engraving is really nice and somewhat "ink'd."  Really makes it stand out.  When I brought one up the stairs for Wife approval, the first words were "0   MY"  That's an approval.

The Nutz and Boltz ...... So Far

First thing I do wid a new gun is look it over and then ......... TAKE    IT    APART.  If your familiar with the Pietta Marshal guns, you'll be right at home.  Same type of build.  Highly polished, laser engraved then Heat Treated.  This gun along with the Marshal are probably the best built Cap Guns available today.  PERIOD!!

First gun out of the box had ZERO barrel to cylinder gap.
Barrel to Arbor fit is perfect
The Wedge didn't quite fit
The Bolt didn't quite fit the cylinder slots
The timing is/was perfect
The hand spring is a new item from Pietta .. Super sturdy.  May not need to be replaced
The frame has burrs in the hammer channel
Needs SliXshot nipples.
The guns have serial #s unique to this series of guns.  They can only make 9999.  The number prefix is "CS" for Capt. Schaeffer

None of the above is serious nor unusual.  Quite normal.  Easy to set up and I expect really superb function.  I will also be installing Cap Rakes for reliability  Main Spring, as usual, belongs under a truck.  Threw it away (who??  Me??) I really doubt anyone who is inclined to play with Cap Guns will be disappointed.  These are really well worth the wait.  I don't know if any of the first shipment are left, but I'd suggest a call to secure a spot for the next container.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Cap Guns are KITS!!  Some of the KITS are much nicer than "others."  These KITS are really really NICE KITS  ;D

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Capt Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica ---- WOW!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »
C'mon CM tell us how ya really feel about these little buggers. Quit beatin around the bush.  :P wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
show and tell folks  Coffinmaker is not exaggerating ... ;D   except maybe a bit short on the WOW

can't say to the innards yet ...I'm under strick orders , to not turn mine , till its worked over  :)  

no hunting the  ::) sweet spot  ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:53 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »
Actually, I yam just a wee little tad annoyed.  I expected the barrels to be 1/2 inch shorter.  The barrels came in at 4 Inches.  I expected and was desirous of a 3 1/2 inch Snubbie with a loader.  However, these guns are OUTSTANDING.  I can live with the 4 inch barrels.  Guess which of my guns all be shooting the rest of this season.  Go ahead guess!!  First two don't count .........
Nanny Nanny Poo Poo

My other irritation is ....... no Pietta loading tool.  Because these guns have 4 inch barrels (not Snubbies) and a loading lever (swell decoration and balance), The loading tool is not included.  If you don't have an off the gun cylinder loading press, your just kind of screwed as far as no loading tool.  There is however, light at the end of the tunnel (Volkswagen on Royds).  The loading tool is available from Taylor's, EMF and I think Dixie.  They are rather proud of them though.  Twenty bucks.  The tool does serve two purposes though.  It is a rather dandy final Cap Seater tool.  Works a serious treat in that job.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
Mike's  set   :)

and yeah ...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !

when I put the Original (photo) with the photo of mine ...I repeat ....Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !

Heavy little boogers, sides what .5 of an inch ...on a hot date at my age.... in fact WTF is hot date anymore ?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:38:46 AM »
In a on-line conversation I'm having with Alessandro Pietta   

" We are going to make only 1000 pcs. Dennis Adler suggested us this gun. He wrote an article for Guns of the Old West, in its last edition."

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
Nice lookin guns, but I don't think I'd like a cap and ball that you'd have to pull the wedge and barrel off each time ya need to reload. Maybe ok for CAS shooting where you just shoot a stage with it, but still would be a PITA. Like using the loading lever, no time for loading machines. I'm a long barrel fan of hoglegs anyway. JMO, but still nice lookin guns.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

45 Dragoon

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
I agree C.C.!!
 My God, it sounds like a whore house in here!!!    ;D

(they are cute though  .  .  .  )

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
Wouldn't know...never been in one....

Couple more days of Glamour photos ....and mine is off to a "Competent" " Gun plummer " to check out , adj.  and fit the wedge so it pushes out under simple thumb pressure .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
Crow Choker,
These guns are representative of "period" BBQ guns.  Meant to be "seen" more than used in anger.  For those who would be more inclined to pack one for serious social work (Cummon, a Cap Gun???) Pietta does have a loading tool for their Snubbies that would serve quite well.  There is the consideration with all the decoration, the fancy grips and the Original Holster (decorated with flowers) the gun would more likely be seen in a Bordelo or Gambling Hall/Saloon.

Since Capt. Schaeffer was "Captain" of the first California Militia, he would most likely have been seen in the sporting houses of the San Francisco Barbary Coast.  In todays world, these guns are still the Perfect BBQ Gun.

In the CAS world, I have found loading "on the gun" to be a complete PITA.  I load in half the time with a cylinder loading press, if not faster.  If one were in the position of using a Cap Gun in anger, our ancestors, in those Halcyon days of yesteryear didn't even consider a reload.  Took too long in a fight.  Dropped the empty and pull'd 'nother fully loaded pistol.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »
...Dropped the empty and pull'd 'nother fully loaded pistol.

Coffinmaker 

And when that one is empty, throw it at them.  :D

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »
or use one of these

45 Dragoon

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
Wouldn't know...never been in one....

Me neither but I've seen um (heard um ) on TV .

Couple more days of Glamour photos ....and mine is off to a "Competent" " Gun plummer " to check out , adj.  and fit the wedge so it pushes out under simple thumb pressure .

Great! Sam said to tap um in/ tap um out.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
Coffinmaker" Understand completely what yer sayin; ie they're the 25 and 380 Auto's of our day. Understand what yer sayin, but I'd say these 44's have a lot more bite and bark than the calibers I just mentioned.

Major 2: Right on, since I'm former LEO it would be 'William Tom Frank'!!!! What you said about backups' agree what you said about the flesh stickers, guess that's why they carried the Big Bowie's so long. Heck I carried a 'Gerber' boot knife stuck in my right boot many a year as a LEO.

Added 08/26: Meant to say 36 in the first sentence, but didn't proofread as should. Leavin it there so the following post by Coffinmaker makes sense. ??? ::) ;D :P
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
We weren't/aren't talking about .44s   We were/are talking about Capt. Schaeffer's Custom Made (by Colt) 1851 .36 that in it's day, was intended to be a presentation show piece.  Then, in our day, it was resurrected to become a really neat looking showy gun for us CAS players.  Not meant for serious social work.  However, as an ex LEO myself, who actually survived several gunfights, being hit with a .36 across a card table would not be conducive to a fun evening.

Sam ...... never thought about playing CAS.  If the wedge in a well set up Cap Gun retains the barrel snugly from firm thumb pressure, it's all you really need.  Being able to remove the wedge with firm thumb pressure enables one to disassemble quickly and use a cylinder loading press to re-load.  At most a light tap from a short screwdriver handle will suffice.

Let us remember.  We're not hunting dangerous game here.  We're playing a game.  A game played with real guns loaded with real ammunition.  We normally shoot these guns more rounds in a three day annual match than the originals were fired in a LIFETIME.  We load our Cap Guns 6 times for a monthly match and 12 times for a three day, plus side matches.  If your going to shoot Snubbies as I and quite a few others do, or short guns like the Capt. Schaeffer replicas, that needs be loaded on a Cylinder Press, it needs to come apart and go together accurately and easily.  Gad Zooks but I tend to get long winded.

Coffinmaker   

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 10:03:47 PM »
We weren't/aren't talking about .44s   We were/are talking about Capt. Schaeffer's Custom Made (by Colt) 1851 .36 that in it's day, was intended to be a presentation show piece.  Then, in our day, it was resurrected to become a really neat looking showy gun for us CAS players.  Not meant for serious social work.  However, as an ex LEO myself, who actually survived several gunfights, being hit with a .36 across a card table would not be conducive to a fun evening.

Sam ...... never thought about playing CAS.  If the wedge in a well set up Cap Gun retains the barrel snugly from firm thumb pressure, it's all you really need.  Being able to remove the wedge with firm thumb pressure enables one to disassemble quickly and use a cylinder loading press to re-load.  At most a light tap from a short screwdriver handle will suffice.

Let us remember.  We're not hunting dangerous game here.  We're playing a game.  A game played with real guns loaded with real ammunition.  We normally shoot these guns more rounds in a three day annual match than the originals were fired in a LIFETIME.  We load our Cap Guns 6 times for a monthly match and 12 times for a three day, plus side matches.  If your going to shoot Snubbies as I and quite a few others do, or short guns like the Capt. Schaeffer replicas, that needs be loaded on a Cylinder Press, it needs to come apart and go together accurately and easily.  Gad Zooks but I tend to get long winded.

Coffinmaker   

"Gad Zooks but I tend to get long winded."

Not at all,  when one is learned , the well educated want  to listen   :)

45 Dragoon

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
Well now .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   it definitely doesn't sound like a whore house now (leastwise one on TV)!

Did things get serious all the sudden? Thought it was just a .  .  .  .  . friendly conversation .  .  .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
Actually, I yam just a wee little tad annoyed.  I expected the barrels to be 1/2 inch shorter.  The barrels came in at 4 Inches.  I expected and was desirous of a 3 1/2 inch Snubbie with a loader. 

Aha! I knew it! Sooner or later he's gonna hacksaw these babies! That 1/2" will just be eating away at him-till it seems like an extra foot!

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »
Ah Jeez Coffinmaker, Didn't intend for ya to get all steamed up. No I wouldn't want to be hit with a 36 ball either, or a 25/380 Auto as a matter of fact. Did paintballing with my son once upon a time and those paintballs themselves would sting bad enough!!! I did add a footnote to my previous post about a typo sayin 44 caliber rather than 36.

Just sayin those short barrel thunder pieces and any without a loadin lever would be a PITA to have to load. As I previously penned, I like using a lever, if any one likes the off gun 'loadin machines', I don't care if it's for convenience, perceived uniformity, or need to due to problems with their hands, makes no difference to me. I like doin it as the gun was designed, of course those 'snubbies' you bought were designed to load by other means.  I did say those shootin irons you all bought were nice lookin, awful pretty guns, but I wouldn't have laid my dollars down fer em any more than I would for a 1849 Pocket Model which is in the same boat having to load and in a caliber I have no desire to have. I probably have gun models you'd be scratchin yer head wondering why I bought em. But heck, I still like ya and readin your information-extend my hand and shake yours. You too Major.  You take care now. Crow Choker

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 09:50:01 AM »
ah shucks ..me too  ;D

Ok then... back to the OP's original Review

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com