Author Topic: follower binds  (Read 1068 times)

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
follower binds
« on: January 21, 2020, 08:41:22 PM »
I've handled (but not fired) two Uberti Henry rifles. In both, the follower tended to drag badly as I slid it forward with my thumb. Perhaps the edges of the slot in the magazine tube hadn't been properly polished at the factory. Does this tend to work itself out?
Karl

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: follower binds
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »
It does smooth out eventually.  You can fold emory cloth around a piece of cardboard and run it up and down the slot to smooth it.  Also hit the sides of the thumb piece where it rubs on the slot.  The HRA 011 New Classic 1860 Henry is much smoother, but you pay more....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »

Nope.  Basically the edges of the Magazine portion of the barrel come out rough (Uberti) and stay that way.  Brass won't smooth steel.  Some are rougher that others.  If it's your rifle, pull the follower into the turn sleeve and turn it out of the way.  Then follow the Lawman's recommendation to smooth it out.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:14 AM »

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »
Once you've rubbed out the roughness on the slot in the magazine (along with its bluing), does the follower always run up smoothly, or is the geometry such that some binding will be possible?
Karl

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:20:07 AM »
My Uberti always ran smoothly after polishing.  My pre-Uberti, US made 1970s vintage Navy Arms di bind, though, even after polishing.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com