Author Topic: .45-70 Cal. rifle, Is it SASS legal??  (Read 7987 times)

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.45-70 Cal. rifle, Is it SASS legal??
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
Since I'm new to this game I thought I would post this question to my esteemed colleagues on this board. I have read the SASS rules for firearms and it appears that the rifle cartridge of .45-70 cal. is not legal. Can anyone give more explaination or am I misreading the regs???? (I see that it is legal for NCOWS, another reason for a new posse in Va. and for GAF). Any input will be appreciated.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: .45-70 Cal. rifle, Is it SASS legal??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:49:38 AM »
Side matches typical use for 45/70.

SIDE MATCHES

THE PLAINSMAN
This event requires two .36 caliber or larger Traditional style percussion revolvers, shot Duelist style. Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle.  Must use a side by side, with or without exposed hammers or lever action shotgun. Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun).

LONG RANGE (OR PRECISION) RIFLE
SASS long range or precision rifle competition is competition with more emphasis placed on precision shooting being a secondary scoring factor. Scoring for these matches hits, with either of two methods used to break ties. At the match time used to shoot the required number of shots or a shoot-off There are four categories in long range or precision rifle category: Lever action, revolver caliber, Lever action, rifle caliber, Single Shot, Buffalo Single Shot, Open Category (may be used at the match director’s option covered by the four official Long Range Categories). Blackpowder categories can be added to any or all of the the match director. Each category competes within itself.

Dusty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks Dusty. I was wanting to use one for the main match rifle but did not make that clear but if I read your post correctly, it is only allowed in side matches and long range shooting.

Thanks again for the inof.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
GAF #478
BOLD #893

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:38 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
Main match rifles are "pistol" caliber. I know there are .45-70 pistols. The rifle targets are too close is most main matches for .45-70. I shot a NCOWS main match stage with the target at about 75 yds. You could use yer pistol caliber rifle or rifle caliber rifle. Most the the rifle caliber rifles used were .38-55, .45-70, and .50-70.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 12:12:07 PM »
Thanks Slim. I guess that helps as far as which rifle to purchase, since there are no NCOWS Posses close to me but there is a SASS Posse within 30-40 min. It also gives me an excuse to get a rifle in a pistol catridge (.45 colt) and one in rifle catridge (.45-70). When a door closes, a window opens. So many guns, so little money.

I do intend on attending the next monthly shoot that the SASS Posse has in Sept. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
GAF #478
BOLD #893

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
Yer very welcome.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »
Eagle Eyes,

You may want to consider some other caliber then 45 Colt for your pistol caliber rifle. They have a tendendency to blowback a little.
My best suggestion is to go to a match SASS match near you to meet with people & gather information.

Dusty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »
Very good advice!!!! Thanks for the info reference the .45 colt. I think that is exactly what I will do. Maybe the .38/.357 would work better in the rifle? Anyway, I'll give 'em a twirl and see what I like the best.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
GAF #478
BOLD #893

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:27:41 PM »
If you're using true Black Powder, few bullet designs in .38 carry enough lube. Trust me. Plus it is also a straight walled cartridge, so still some blowback. This being said, I do shoot a .38spl. '66 carbine and love it. Either smokeless lubed bullets for smokeless powder or the BP substitutes, or using Snakebite Big Lube TM bullet in .38 for real BP.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »
Thank you, one and all!!! I have a better feel for CAS weapons and calibers after the responses were made to this post. I will seek out some of the members of the Posse at the Sept. shoot that I plan on attending and see what they can tell me.

Again, thank you. You guys are extremely helpful.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
GAF #478
BOLD #893

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 05:00:27 PM »
EEJ
I have 2 rifles in .45lc I like them both. It seems to me that the biggest factor in the blowback issue is the weight of the bullets. When shooting 250 gr bullets I have little to no blowback. With 200 gr bullets I can see where there was some blowback. That being said, if you're planning on shooting BP, the .44-40 might be a good choice. If not, blowback isn't an issue. If you ever plan to shoot longer range with it, .38 & smaller can be a problem due to too little bullet weight (inertia). On the other hand, if you want to shoot the same cartridge in your handguns as you do your rifle, heavier bullets slow you down.
As in most other areas of life, gun/cartridge selection usually means making some kind of trade off. In my own case I bought an Uberti Colt cavalry clone which was historically accurate for my persona (The infantry NCO's at Fort Hartsuff had '73 colts). When I bought a rifle I wanted to make sure I didn't have to take more than one type of cartridges to a shoot. I also didn't want to have to buy more reloading dies. Thus I ended up with the .45 rifle. Sometimes I wish the rifles were .44-40 which would make using BP easier, but at the same time I don't have to reload more than one caliber for my cowboy guns. There's the trade off.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:14:46 PM »
Col. Pitspitr,

If I am understanding everyone's input correctly, it is all a matter of: 1) cost, 2) reloading ability, 3) persona, 4) historical accuracy, 5) personal preference, 6) distance, 7) purpose of the weapons , 8) availabilty 9)black powder vs smokeless, 10) comfort. Did I miss any? I understand what you all are saying. What it boils down to, is more reseach into the time frame and persona before making any investment in firearms so as to save oneself from making an arbitrary purchase that will not be of benefit. Try different makes and models to find what fits the individual as well as the persona one is attempting to portray. Thank you, sir for your input. Any other information that you all deem useful will be appreciated.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
GAF #478
BOLD #893

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
Historical accuracy and persona aren't as improtant for some as it is for me. If you shoot strictly SASS it doesn't matter.

The one other comment I'd have for you is that you're not getting married. If you get a gun and find you don't like it, trade. ;)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »
In regards to your first comment, I plan on shooting GAF events and possibly NCOWS. As far as the second comment, Bravo, I see your point.

EEJ
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
GAF #478
BOLD #893

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »
I plan on shooting GAF events and possibly NCOWS.
In that case read Sgt. Drydock's BATTLE RIFLE and GRAND MUSTER REGISTRATION ! PEOPLE-PEOPLE-PEOPLE! threads about the GAF battle rifle class and choose a persona. If infantry you may only need one weapon, the rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com