Author Topic: 58 Remmy  (Read 23670 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
58 Remmy
« on: October 10, 2005, 03:01:32 PM »
Recently purchased a Pietta 58 Remingtion. I would like to use a conversion cylinder in it. Is anyone aware of one of the conversion cylinder makers making them to shoot the 44Colt? I would like to use mostly as a backup to my Open Top and RM 1860 Army. I know the barrel would need to be sleeved and I am not sure I would want to do that as I would not be able to convert back to the bp cylinder. So I may just go with a 45 conversion cylinder and would have to shoot a different caliber if I need it during a shoot if one of my others had problems. What do you pards here think?

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 58 Remmy
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:28:12 PM »
I checked around when I converted my 58 Remmy and the only conversion I saw available was the .45 Colt from either R&D or Kirst, I picked the R&D because it was recommended by one of my shooting pals who felt it was better.   I will be interested to hear what others on the CAS boards have to say.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 12:30:52 AM »
I remember someone talkin about a conversion cylinder in .44, and they were talkin about loadin the cartridges with an old-style heeled bullet to be more like the original conversions.  Course it would be centerfire instead of rimfire, and I dont think anyone is manufacturing such a round, so my guess is I'm just remembering someone's wishlist sorta thing.  Is someone making the .44 Colt?

Of course, there's more than one story out there of guys who made their own cylinders.  I suppose having a custom one made would be an option.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:16:44 AM »

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 05:47:59 AM »
I shoot '58 Pietta's with the R & D conversion in 45 LC.  Both are used as my main match pistols.  Both are tack-nailers and haven't had any major gunsmithing done to 'em. But, I have tinkered with 'em a bit here and there ta smooth 'em out a little.

Sorry, I haven't heard or know of anyone doing a conversion in 44 cal, yet.

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:21:00 AM »
I want to say Kirst konverter can be gotten in the 44Colt. And yeah, I know the originals used a heeled bullet. I have only seen the 38 being manufactured with the heel bullet or maybe the hollow based. River Junction sells the 38's. I am leaning more towards just going with the 45Colt and it will be just for fun and a backup for my other two main guns.

Just looked on River Junction's web page. They have the 44 drop in cylinder listed and they have 44 heeled cartridges available for $28.00 for box of 50.

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 06:02:31 PM »
I also noticed that Kirst is offering their .44 Colt conversion again.  The 44 Colt is closer to what was originally used in the Remington conversions. To use this cartridge, you would need to either use their heeled bullets which Pappy noted were selling for $28.00 a box,....or a hollow based bullet,........... or have the bore lined to .429 to use standard modern 44 bullets.

Hodgdon has some 44 Colt data at...............

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/cowboy/spc44colt.php

I may be wrong, but I think you could chamber the .44 Russian round in the .44 Colt cylinder,.......same way as I can shoot .45LC & .45 Schofield in my R&D cylinder. 

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 10:50:36 PM »
You can also get them from Taylor's & Co. http://taylorsfirearms.com/

I have a pair of Uberti Remmies with R&D cylinders in .45LC and they are two of the four most accurate shooters in my house. The other two accurate ones are Remmies with .38 spl R&D conversion cylinders in 'em.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:13:32 PM »
Almost forgot, Kirst DOES make a conversion cylinder that fires .45 ACP cartridges instead of the longer .45LC. 

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:27:01 PM »
Ya kin also find conversion cylinders at Fall Creek Sutler.  Scroll down to near the bottom of the page. ;)

http://www.fcsutler.com/fccwrevolvers.asp

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 08:40:47 PM »
Almost forgot, Kirst DOES make a conversion cylinder that fires .45 ACP cartridges instead of the longer .45LC. 
I thought they discontinued that. This may be something I need. Hmmmmmm........

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 10:08:12 PM »
I was considerin one earlier this year because I wanted to try converting my brass gun, but was afraid even a black powder load in a .45LC would be too much for it.  The smaller ACP case with a light BP load would (I thought) be ideal for converting a brass frame gun. 

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 11:05:15 AM »
  Also in the Kirst you can use schofield brass to get a shorter case.jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 01:59:57 AM »
I was under the impression that ya couldn't put a conversion inta a brass frame ???  But, ya'll seem ta know better than me at most things anyhow, so I'll take yer words on it.

Do ya think a 45 LC in 200 grain would be too much a brass frame?  I normally shoot 45 LC 250 grain Winchesters in my steel frame Pietta's.

Ya'll be kind, I'ma still on a learnin' curve here ::)...the curve that goes by the creek on the way ta "school" each day. ;)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 07:54:23 AM »
Presidio, you are correct. Both companies that make the conversions say do not use them in brass frame guns. Which conversion cylinder are you using, R&D or Kirst? I am leaning towards the Kirst as I am not sure about the angle that is used in the R&D's and I am thinking about cutting the loading port in mine so I can leave the cylinder in.

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 03:12:41 PM »
That is correct, no one makes a conversion cylinder and recommends it be used in a brass frame gun, just because the brass isnt strong enough to stand up to the abuse.  That doesnt mean it hasnt been done, and cant be done.  I'd never use such a thing as a match gun, and I'd never do it if I couldnt be sure that I could make low pressure rounds.  This would be mostly used in shows we do for the public a couple times a year.  If I do decide to do it, it will be understanding the risks, and accepting them for myself. 

I'm not recommending anyone else do it.  This would be a special purpose, seldom used gun.

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 03:48:22 PM »
Pappy,

I was told by my gunsmith and shooting partner that the R&D lines up much better and indexes better than the Kirst.   I do not know this first hand but because of that I bought the R&D and am very happy with it.   My '58 Remmys are my main match guns and like Presidio I am relatively new to this sport and do love my Remmys.   As Robert Duvall said in "Open Range" I like a gun with a little heft to it.
www.waltlange.com

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 05:13:06 PM »
http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/
Heeled bullets and loaded ammo. Nice folks strugglung to get started and very reasonable and helpful. I also noticed that River Junction has the Kirst 6 shot 44 gated conversion for the 1858 and sell loaded heeled ammo to go with it. Kinda pricey but if'n that's your mood?
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 06:34:04 PM »
Pappy, I use the R & D conversions.  Jest ta keep life simple fer me  I got one of the originals to where the cylinder notch hadn't been done yet so ya could actually see the bullet from the side.  I've cut in that notch like the newer R & D models since then.

Maybe, one year {when I'm a little richer ::)} I'll try out the Kirst conversions...like Marshall Will; it'll give me an excuse ta buy more Remi's ;)!

I'm with ya on the "Little Heft" there, Coop! ;D.  Started with a Vaquero 45LC, but, it didn't fit muh hand proper.  Tried out a pard's Remi Old Army, and  :o got instantly hooked!  Now ya won't see me with anything less ;).

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 07:17:54 PM »
You bet, Pard.  Once ya get the feel of all that iron in the hand yer hook for life.   What are you firing?  I use a 6.5 gr powder load with a 250 gr slug.  That Remmy purely talks...
www.waltlange.com

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
Coop, I ain't got inta the reloading part of the deal yet; so; all my loads are factory.  Currently I'm using Winchester brand cowboy loads bein'  45 LC, 250gr Lead Flat Nose.

Soon as I kin git a place set up outta the way of my 3 year old terror :o, I'll start up loadin' my own.  Here's agin will be some more schoolin' fer me. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com