Author Topic: the quiet  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
the quiet
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
It?s quiet out here?too quiet.

I have racked my brain which did not take long to think of something to get a conversation going.
Even Coffinmaker is quiet and you know why after shooting a clean match with the Capt. Schaeffer?s 1851 Colts.
He is still gloating about that and you can't blame him.

Let me think (ouch) got it pick a subject one or all.

1861 Colt Army is the most handsome hand gun EVER made.
Remington cap and ball guns are ugly as Rosie O?Donnell
Pietta cap and ball guns are better than Uberti
Uberti cap and ball guns are better that Pietta
Go own pick one!

This silence is killing me

Load ?em heavy boys they air a?comin?
Bunk

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: the quiet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »
Sorry, but I like the later cartridge guns. I still wouldn't kick a Navy Dragoon out of bed.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:11:23 AM »
It?s quiet out here?too quiet.

I have racked my brain which did not take long to think of something to get a conversation going.
Even Coffinmaker is quiet and you know why after shooting a clean match with the Capt. Schaeffer?s 1851 Colts.
He is still gloating about that and you can't blame him.

Let me think (ouch) got it pick a subject one or all.

1861 Colt Army is the most handsome hand gun EVER made.
second third fourth most handsome - comes behind the pocket police, pocket navy, and the fake 1851 navy 44 cal 
Remington cap and ball guns are ugly as Rosie O?Donnell - is Rosie really that ugly!!!
Pietta cap and ball guns are better than Uberti - cordin to coffinmaker yes
Uberti cap and ball guns are better that Pietta - cordin to coffinmaker NO

Ya made it too easy mate !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:26:55 AM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 06:20:37 AM »
For some unknown reason quotation marks are replaced by question marks.
So when you see a question(?)  mark now you know it is a quotation (") mark. That is unless I am asking a question.
And that 1862 Colt  Police revolver with the fluted cylinder is cute as a spotted pup.
Wait until my "4th Model" Dragoon is done. Fluted cylinder, sights on the barrel and a square back trigger guard.
What do you think about that?
Hold Center
Bunk

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:47:13 AM »
Go ahead Bunk, show us the Dragoon  ;)

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
As soon as it gets  back from the machine shop where the front sight dovetail is being cut.
And I can figure how to post a picture I will be delighted.
He cut a couple of thousands off removing the very thin roll engraving so it looks looks a Ginormous single action cylinder.
Quite eye catching. It started out as a Uberti 3rd model. Then Bunk and some nutty friends got on it.
Why not?
Bunk

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »
I'm with Cpt Quirk when it comes to BP cartridge guns. And I've never heard of a Navy Dragoon. Please explain.

Dave

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »
I'll agree, it's been to quiet here on the forum. Thought as you did Bunk of just posting something to get 'something' going. May even get Coffinmaker woke up and/or riled.  ;D

"Anywhooo" as Rifle always posts, I, as Dave T have never heard/read about a Navy Dragoon. Maybe its a regular Dragoon with Navy battle scene as on the regular Navies (some custom job of someone)? Then too, just for argument, I say Uberti's are better than Pietta's, at least as to how Pietta used to make em-pretty sloppy metal-metal/wood-metal fit (at least the ones I've viewed over the years. They all need some innard fixing up. "4th' Model Dragoon"-that's a goody Bunk!

.1861 Colt Army is the most handsome hand gun EVER made.

Bunk, was this a typo or a hidden gem for getting the keyboards clicking? 1861 Army! I'll agree it is a purdy hogleg, but 1860 Army--unless there's a 61' Army hidden in the archeevies of Colt's history....I've never read about one. Just for thee record, me thinks the 2nd Model Dragoon is just as nice lookin'! ;D

Just my Saturday AM contribution to the quiet forum.  ;D Crow Choker

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
My 2 cents , and worth every bit of that ( at least to others )

I've had a passion for the 1860 Army since Christmas 1955, when I was given this.....
66 years later, and it has not diminished ....

So YES !  the 1860 most handsome hand gun EVER made.

Now, second to that ( again that same $0.02 ) the 1851 Navy and I have to say the p08 Luger also design eye candy.

Course Pietta ugliest up their 60...with all the Lawyer crap stamped on the barrels.  ::)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »
Yes it is an 1960 Army (I have problems counting over 11 with out taking my boots off.)
A Navy Dragoon that must be something like my 1861 Army.
But the 1861 NAVY looks just as slick as it's older brother the 1860 ARMY.
I grabbed  pair out of the safe to do some plinking and had a .44 and a .36 darned if they don't have a close resemblance.
Close, of course, only works for horse shoes and hand grenades.
At least we got something going.
Coffinmaker where are you? Still gloating over that clean match?
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »

Ha!!!  ;D   Yes .... and NO!!   :-[   Shot a match again today.  Nice place, close by (less than a hour and a half).  The day was PERFECT ... Partly cloudy (very few clouds), so we'll call it sunny, light crossing breeze, temperature in the low 60s.  Most excellent.  EXCEPT:  I couldn't hit a bath tub wid a baseball bat.  Sprayed lead everywhere.  Onliest good part was I finally had someone watch and found out my 100 year old J. P. Sauer Hammer Double shoots almost half a foot left.  Mebby even a foot left.  Hafta put the little bede thingy on the right edge of the target to knock it down.  Rifle was perfect.  Pistols ...... Don't wanna talk about it.  Sourpus.

Now, we enter into debate.  The bestest ever looking CONVERSION is a Never Never.  1st Model Richards, built on an 1861 by Armi San Marco.  Too bad they were such KRAP mechanically.  Second place are the 1860 conversions (in the correct dimensions)  Third place are my Never Never Custom built Snubbies I built on Pietta .44 Navys.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »
Yes it is an 1960 Army (I have problems counting over 11 with out taking my boots off.)

But the 1861 NAVY looks just as slick as it's older brother the 1860 ARMY.

Hey'ya' Bunk, yer 100 years to far down the road, "1860 Army"  ;D
I'll agree with ya ref the 1861 Navy lookin every bit as nice as its older brother, the 1860 Army. I have one of each, a Uberti 1860 and a Navy brand made by Uberti 1861 Navy. Enjoy shootin it more than my 1851, mostly due to the square back trigger guard on the 51' being a tight squeeze. Been-gonna replace it with a round TG, but as penned, It's a "been-gonna"!

Agree with ya Coffin about that 1st Model Richards being a fine lookin handgun. Wish Uberti would make a run of them, but as has been said in same type discussions on the forum, be too dollar wise expensive for the amount they'd probably sell and they would have to price them high to overcome the expense of producing. I've seen pictures posted by members of the forum of custom made 1st Model Richards by some of the 'smiths' who were members (Raven and Hoof Hearted come to mind). Nice lookin pieces. I do like the looks of the Richards II over the Richard-Mason's and Open Top, not that they're ugly by any means. Have a sample of each of the three and like the looks of the Richards II over the other two. If I had to choose one percussion and one conversion, it would be my 2nd Model Dragoon and the Richards II. One of my 'Never-Nevers' is my Peitta 1851 Navy 44 caliber. Better heft, feel, and more fun to shoot than the .36 caliber version. It's basically a half brother to both the 51 Navy and 60 Army. Looks of the 51 and heft, caliber, and size of the 60. Sort of the off spring of siblings marrying I guess.  :o ;D Tis' a favorite shooter, a lot due to sentimental reasons. My first cap and baller was a Eruoarms 51' Navy in 44 caliber-a lot of black burned and lead down the bore of that one. Destroyed accidently in a fire when box gun was in accidently placed with 'burn pile items'. :(

Good info ya posted Capt Quirk. I read in one of my books about Colt's "R&D" department back in the day and it appears a lot of never produced models were built (maybe one or two) that either had a lot of mechanical differences or thoughtful small improvements from the basic Colt single action design. Some were only designs on paper, a lot of which were destroyed in the big Colt fire in the 1860's.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 03:40:40 AM »
Hey'ya' Bunk, yer 100 years to far down the road, "1860 Army"  ;D
I'll agree with ya ref the 1861 Navy lookin every bit as nice as its older brother, the 1860 Army. I have one of each, a Uberti 1860 and a Navy brand made by Uberti 1861 Navy. Enjoy shootin it more than my 1851, mostly due to the square back trigger guard on the 51' being a tight squeeze. Been-gonna replace it with a round TG, but as penned, It's a "been-gonna"!

Agree with ya Coffin about that 1st Model Richards being a fine lookin handgun. Wish Uberti would make a run of them, but as has been said in same type discussions on the forum, be too dollar wise expensive for the amount they'd probably sell and they would have to price them high to overcome the expense of producing. I've seen pictures posted by members of the forum of custom made 1st Model Richards by some of the 'smiths' who were members (Raven and Hoof Hearted come to mind). Nice lookin pieces. I do like the looks of the Richards II over the Richard-Mason's and Open Top, not that they're ugly by any means. Have a sample of each of the three and like the looks of the Richards II over the other two. If I had to choose one percussion and one conversion, it would be my 2nd Model Dragoon and the Richards II. One of my 'Never-Nevers' is my Peitta 1851 Navy 44 caliber. Better heft, feel, and more fun to shoot than the .36 caliber version. It's basically a half brother to both the 51 Navy and 60 Army. Looks of the 51 and heft, caliber, and size of the 60. Sort of the off spring of siblings marrying I guess.  :o ;D Tis' a favorite shooter, a lot due to sentimental reasons. My first cap and baller was a Eruoarms 51' Navy in 44 caliber-a lot of black burned and lead down the bore of that one. Destroyed accidently in a fire when box gun was in accidently placed with 'burn pile items'. :(

Good info ya posted Capt Quirk. I read in one of my books about Colt's "R&D" department back in the day and it appears a lot of never produced models were built (maybe one or two) that either had a lot of mechanical differences or thoughtful small improvements from the basic Colt single action design. Some were only designs on paper, a lot of which were destroyed in the big Colt fire in the 1860's.

ahhhh .. you fellers have got me dribblin out the corner of me mouth - ya can just walk into Cabellas and pick up whatever cap gun they got - plunk the money down (350 ?) an walk out - they dont even store em behind the counter - just sittin there in boxes at the end of an open shelf out on the shop floor - the rigamarole us aussies gotta go through to get one of these ya wouldnt believe. 

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
I like the fit to my hands of the ROAs.  I also like their reliability.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 04:49:48 PM »
DDD  Hi  :D

Well, OK.  ROAs fit your hands.  I personally can't hit with rugers worth spit.  I don't know why not.  Rugers just don't fit ME I guess.

For reliability .... after some carefully developed ministrations, my Colt pattern Cap Guns are dead reliable.  And they fit me.  Well .... mostly.  I fit ALL my Cap Guns with 1860 Army pattern grip sets.  Two exceptions.  My Capt. Schaeffer are Navy Pattern Grips and my 1862 Dance & Brothers .44 Snubbies have Navy pattern grips.  I shot both of those just fine though.  I still prefer 1860 Army pattern Grip Sets.

The key here.  Is.  Alla youz guyz get out there and shoot those Cap Guns.  And then come back and talk about it.  Too Damn Quiet round here ya hear!!!!

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
I stand steadfastly with Coffinmaker about cap guns.
My snubbies, once I got then dialed in, are as reliable as suppository guns. My hands are not that big, but I prefer the Army (1860) model Colt size grip because it gives my pinky fingers a place to rest
Not throwing rocks at my Capt. Schaeffers because, grips not withstanding, after careful ministrations by Coffinmaker they have over 300 rounds total for the pair with only one water table jam using CCI#11 because I ran out of Remington #10 caps and was too lazy to go the house to get more. My bad I admit.
A friend of mine brought out a ROA and it was OK, we shot it a lot, but a Colt open top is better looking (sorry Dick) but I calls 'em line I sees 'em.
I will say though the ROA is way better looking than that Remington 185(?) something New Army.

I will be quiet now (for a while)

Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com