Author Topic: Chaparral Short Rifle.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Chaparral Short Rifle.
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »
I'm looking thru gunbroker for the next firearm I don't have time to shoot and came across a Chaparral 76 22" short rifle in 45/60. From what I've read about them here is that after such and such a serial number they were fairly good guns. What is the supposed magic serial number range that propelled the Chaparrals into good rifles? This one's number is 1429.
King Medallion

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Chaparral Short Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »
Anxious to hear the answer to this.  I too seem to think I need another rifle I don't have much chance to shoot. (smile)

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »

:)  Hi Guys   ???

There is NO Magic, There are NO Magic serial numbers where Chaparral Rifles suddenly became "Pretty Good Guns."  Chaparral started out lousy and only got worse throughout their manufacturing life.  Unless you just absolutely have spend more than the initial cost of the rifle . . . . .  :o

On second thought.  Send ME the check for the purchase price plus shipping.  That way at least one of us will be a Happy Camper.  ;D

People Are Hazardous to yer Health

PS:  SCROLL down and peruse the fun and games GeezerD went through to make one an acceptable shooter.  Then check in with yer Broker.  Nah.  just go back to my second thought  ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:07:30 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 06:51:32 PM »
And a Merry Christmas to you too, Coffinmaker!  LOL

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up and advice...and no I'm not sending you anything.  (smile)

Dave

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 10:29:54 PM »
As one of the best known gunsmiths in the country recently told me when I asked him about the quality of Uberti rifle barrels - "At least they're better than Chaparral".

And I'm looking seriously at replacing the Uberti barrel.  It's groups can barely meet the definition of "patterns" after much load development work........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »
 Some of us got lucky and have a "fine shooter ", and some,  (head bowed) not so lucky. I do agree with others, don't think the Serial # will apply in this case.  You take's ya' chances ????   It's hard to judge one on a computer picture. Stamp show's to be made in 2007, my 40-60 mfg. in 2008.

Let's have some coffee,  Hootmix.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »
I first saw "Chaparral" at the 2007 Shot Show in Orlando.
It was at a table in the Charter Arms Booth ( Charter Arms were the early importer of Chaparral.

I made a comment then, "one would think a vendor would want to put there best foot forward "best example of their product"
AT the SHOT SHOW !
Sadly that was not the case then, as the two examples were poorly fitted and finished.
They had some ATROCIOUS looking faux painted grain wood and it had 1/16" gaps wood to metal.
I posted my review, and received a scornful letter from Charter Arms VP of Sales...
In it he stated, one could upgrade the wood later should one buy a Gun early on.
Six or so months later Charter Arms divested themselves of any affiliation with Chaparral.
They showed up about 1/2 the price of a Uberti, some claimed they had a serviceable arm other ( most other claimed a mired of issues I:E  Headspace, Fit & Finish , wood, sights, muzzle crown issues.
From my observations I was not interested even a 1/2 price.
Frankly, Denix Faux wall hanger Rifles were better fitted.
In defense, I did see some later on that were better, still I was never a player for a Chaparral.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 12:13:08 PM »
The '66's and '73's they came out with were pretty iffy as well.  I knew a guy with a '73 that if you tightened the side plate screw too much, the toggles would bind on the side plates.  :(

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 12:51:35 PM »
It's not that they couldn't be fixed (still) but why do you (we) need to fix a new rifle or pistol, at the prices they are asking. Would i buy another Chaparral,,, yes, if priced low enough. They are (as I'v said before) the closest copy of the original 76 Winchesters, as the parts will interchange (w/ a small amount of fitting).

Let's have some more coffee,  Hootmix.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 02:50:01 PM »
Here is the rifle in question.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919214410
King Medallion

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
King,

That the same rifle (offering) I was lusting after, having owned an original 45-60 some 25-30 years ago that had been cut down to 20".  After the feed back here I think I'll turn my search back to the S&W 5-screw "357 Magnum" I've been wanting.  And yes, years ago I owned not one but two of those too, a 5" and a 3-1/2".  (smile)

Dave

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
I bought this one from CDNN in 2012.

Chaparral Short Rifle chambered in 50/95

I bought it even after coming here and reading about all the problems that some owners were having with the ones they purchased.

I didn’t discount their experiences, I just figured for $500 if it had problems I could get them sorted out.

So far (9 years and over 1000 smokeless rounds later) it’s been problem free.

Only issue I had was right out of the box the front sight was loose in its dovetail and after staking it down with sharp punch on all for corners it hasn’t moved in over 1000 rounds.

It is the best $500 levergun I have ever purchased.

A few gratuitous pics

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 01:54:52 AM »
Excellent!  Sometimes you get lucky, both gun-wise and price-wise!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 06:16:01 AM »
Starting bid at $1350 and sight unseen - so you bid 1400 then plus freight - is that enough margin ??
I would want that chapparal for about a third new list of a Uberti ........................
price goes up if you see it (for a close inspection) - up more if you could shoot it.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2021, 06:18:39 AM »
As one of the best known gunsmiths in the country recently told me when I asked him about the quality of Uberti rifle barrels - "At least they're better than Chaparral".

And I'm looking seriously at replacing the Uberti barrel.  It's groups can barely meet the definition of "patterns" after much load development work........

Uberti barrel 1876 rifle five @ 100yards -- I was told these rifles have Pedersoli barrels - mine can shoot like it (on the rare occasion I can eliminate the driver error)

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2021, 06:35:54 AM »
If you buy this I hope you are a real gunsmith that's has a lathe, mill and a tig welder. This what you will need to get the thing up and running properly....If you are a discriminating shooter. I had hrs. and hrs into "fixing" mine.
kw

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2021, 07:59:44 AM »
Well, no, I don't have a mill, lathe, welder. or much for gunsmithing skills.  Thanks to all this feedback, this rifle won't be getting my bid either. Too much $$ for too much unknown. Thanks, men, and Merry Christmas!

PS: I did shoot my Presidio 50/95 the other day, 5 rounds of Holy Black. Big Boom and Big Smiles!
King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »

:)  Hey Everybody   ;)

Just as a little note.  As "Charles Daly (aka KBI) was dying, they dumped their inventory of Chaparral rifles at around 450, 500 Bucks.  CDNN of Canyada did exactly the same thing, selling their inventory at the same price.  All sales final, no returns, no warranty.

As another little point, Chaparral built "their" 1866 on a steel frame.  I was hugely interested in a steel '66 until I was able to fondle a Chaparral.  My interest completely evaporated instantly.

Play Safe Out There

OH, almost forgot.  Once in a great while, Chaparral actually built one that worked.  And for general information, the guns were built at the Armi Sam Marco (ASM) factory by the same folks that built all that ASM Junque.  Go Figure

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2021, 04:10:32 PM »
:)  Hey Everybody   ;)

Just as a little note.  As "Charles Daly (aka KBI) was dying, they dumped their inventory of Chaparral rifles at around 450, 500 Bucks.  CDNN of Canyada did exactly the same thing, selling their inventory at the same price.  All sales final, no returns, no warranty.

As another little point, Chaparral built "their" 1866 on a steel frame.  I was hugely interested in a steel '66 until I was able to fondle a Chaparral.  My interest completely evaporated instantly.

Play Safe Out There

I dont usually get lucky twice in a row
had two ASM sixguns about as good as they get - still have the 1851 x45 capgun (yeah the one that never existed) its an old old gun still accurate and functional
bought a 44/40 EMF Dakota (late 1990's I guess) had that one repossed in the famous aussie gun grab/buyback didnt get to shoot it a lot (maybe 2000 rounds) but as above a fine looking gun, accurate, and functional - have replaced a bolt spring and hand spring in the capgun (normal wear and tear)  apart from that zero problems - along the way I had an early Pietta 1851, couple others - didnt like the Pietta - still have the ASM. dont play big like you fellers just a few hundred a year is all.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
Early ASM guns (SAA's and percussion) were very good.  The way I heard it, the factory moved from the Italian valley where all the manufacturers are.  A lot of the workers, long-time gun builders, did not want to move, so ASM had to hire new people.  That's when they started making the conversions and Schofields, and later became Chaparral.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com