Author Topic: In Range: Percussion vs Cartridge  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
Re: In Range: Percussion vs Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:14:31 AM »
I like that Guy, and when he gets together with Ian McCollum they produce some very good videos
This one was very well done and interesting.

I took an evaluation of myself " Would I have upgraded ? given Karl's description of the era and mindset.

I have only my self past history to use as a model.... YES I would !   .  I think he makes a good point why I should not .

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:56:57 AM »
That was an interesting video. He brought up some good points. If I were back in the day, I also probably would have upgraded. I can see why many may not have, though. I enjoyed that one. Thanks for posting the link.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:57:23 PM »

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:12:00 AM »
Didn't Wild Bill stick with Percussion?  They seemed to work well for him.  No pistol can win against a back shooter.
Scouts Out!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »

:) Really great presentation  ;)

I personally shoot Cap Guns as my Main Match guns.  My guns have been "assisted" for reliability.  It is a necessity to insure reliability.  I shoot "Gunfighter" with a gun in each hand.  I cannot afford problems.  My Cap Guns and those I have built for "Others" are every bit as reliable as any cartridge gun of the Era.  No doubt.

I also like the point made, in the age we portray, or actually in any fighting situation, the "Reload" simply didn't happen.  Fighting men carried multiple pistols.  When one ran dry, they pulled another.  Either discarding the empty or holstering on the way to another gun.  An attempt at reload would undoubtedly get you killed.

Being a "Gun Knut" I have no doubt I would have scrounged up the coin to go to a Conversion for metallic cartridges.  Maybe.  dunno.  Might not.  I like Cap Guns.  Properly set up, properly loaded, perfectly OK.

Nope.  Wild Bill had Cartridge converted '51 Navy's at his end.  As with other fighting men, his version of a reload was another gun.  Cap Guns ROCK!!  SNUBBIE Cap Guns REALLY Rock.

Hide and watch

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »

:) FORGOT  ;)

I forgot to mention.  I don't own a single "Strap Gun."  All of my CAS guns are of the Open Top persuasion.  Along with my 1851s and 1860s, my Suppository guns are also "Open Top."  I shoot a pair of 1851 Cartridge Conversions, a Pair of 1860 Cartridge Conversions and a pair of 1871 Open Tops.  Nothing with a top strap.  Samuel Colt called the Remington and others "Strap Guns" for their top straps, which he, deem'd unnecessary.

Hide and Watch

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:03 PM »
Because nothing deals with fouling better than the open top Colt design.  The reason they stayed popular for so long.  (At 12:00 you find out why)

Put some Slixshot nipples in the thing and go to town!.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
The two gun plainsmen was a real term for a hard fighting shooting man.  Very few people could afford two handguns, most did not even have one handgun, just a shotgun or maybe a rifle.  If you where carrying two you meant trouble or meant to stop trouble.

There were a few lines in Centennial that I really liked.  I went like this --- '(Canby hands a revolver to the Jim Lloyd the young boy) and says Don't load a cartridge under the hammer......  Then another man (Lassiter) says That's true enough.  If a man cannot do the job in 5 shots then it was time to get the h$ll out of whatever he was in'.

Good movie.

Only thing I notice wrong about the video is when he call his Richards-Mason a Type II Richardson-Mason.  Looks like he covered all his bases.

Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com