Author Topic: Just getting started, need info  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Quachita

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just getting started, need info
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
I have watched some Cowboy Action Shooting on TV and am interested.  Reading everything I can find I think I want Ruger Vaquero .357/38, Marlin 1894 .357/38 and the TNN double.  One of the reasons for selecting the .357/38 caliber is that I already have reloading equipment set up for that caliber.  If anyone has any suggestions for a new shooter please let me know.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Just getting started, need info
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:49:34 AM »
All you need is some leather, a bucket full of practice and with the weaponry you have chosen, you are good to go.
Try for accuracy and consistancy first and build your speed gradually, walk before you run, but above all,,
have fun!!
AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
The only thing I will add to Angel Eyes' advice, is to get out to a club - soon & often!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:00:40 PM »

Offline Quachita

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
All you need is some leather, a bucket full of practice and with the weaponry you have chosen, you are good to go.
Try for accuracy and consistancy first and build your speed gradually, walk before you run, but above all,,
have fun!!
AE
[/quote
Thanks for the advice. I found a local club (75 miles away) that is having a shoot on the 17th. Plan to attend and see what goes on.  I have been a skeet and trap shooter for years and think that cowboy action shooting would be a lot of fun. thanks again for the reply.

Offline Quachita

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
The only thing I will add to Angel Eyes' advice, is to get out to a club - soon & often!
Will be attending a shoot in Oklahoma City on the 17th.  That is the closest club to my home and is about 75 miles away. I am sure I could set something up at our local gun club to be able to practice.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline Taw Jackson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »
What size barrels are you getting on the Vaqueros? I just set my wife up withe the 357's too, with the 4 3/4 inch barrels and they work great. My 45 LC Colts are 4 3/4th too.

Taw

Offline Quachita

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »
What size barrels are you getting on the Vaqueros? I just set my wife up withe the 357's too, with the 4 3/4 inch barrels and they work great. My 45 LC Colts are 4 3/4th too.

Taw
I knew that I did not want the 7 1/2" but had not decided between the 4 5/8" and the 5 1/2".  I will most likely have to look and see what the gun shops in my area handle.  I know the ones in town do not have the .357. All they have is the 45LC which I am not interested in.  I got to shoot a Vaquero in 45LC today and with my arthritis in my hand I don't feel I can handle the recoil of repeated shooting.  I have a GP100 which I shoot with 38 Spec and don't have any problem. Is there an advantage to 4 5/8" over the 5 1/2"?

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
Wade, you'll have great fun!  When I was just getting the bug I went also to local matches and talked to a ton of friendly folks.  The greatest thing is that many will even let you use their firearms so that you can get a better feel of what you want and need. 

To your question, the barrel length is truly a personal issue.  Some folks like the shorter barrels for various reasons, the predominant is that it is quick to draw and aim while others, like me, prefer the longer barrels.  Oddly, I like the shorter barrels for the carbines.  I really really really want to get a '73 "trapper" with the 16" barrel.

It's best to get out there for a look before plunking down any cash.  Most of all... not to sound like a broken record... have fun! :)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com