Author Topic: reloading and casting questions  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
reloading and casting questions
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
Hey guys. Got my first cowboy gun on the way- a .45 colt open top revolver. Anyway, I intend to shoot it with blackpowder, and am fixing to invest in a lee turret press, and some other simple reloading equipment. I wanted to know what y'all's recommendations might be for dies and a mold. What is the overall best equipment for loading blackpowder .45 colt ammo? Biglube mold?
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: reloading and casting questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
Good call on the open-top...Nice!

I shoot Black Powder out of 45 conversions of 1860 Colts...But I use 45 Cowboy Special brass with a "Big Lube" bullet......Best combination out there.

I found a full size 45LC case with black powder was way too much recoil and really slowed me down....And unless there was a wind blowing, the smoke wil, obscure the targets.

The 45 CB Special load will give you plenty of smoke and a good "boom", but is much easier to shoot.

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
Thanks. Pistol is still not here yet... but should be soon. It's actually one of a pair- they were a package deal that was too good to pass up. I will probably sell one of them when I receive them.
I actually like recoil and smoke, and will be using this gun and load for incidental hunting and possible self-defense, on top of lots of practice shooting. I want to use not necessarily "full-house" loads, as I don't want to unnecessarily batter the gun, but I have no interest in light "target" cartridges and loads, at least not right now.
 I intend to use the Holy Black with Cast Boolits. Any recommendations on dies, homemade lube, and mold? What about RCBS Cowboy dies? Are they worth the extra money over a set of Lee dies?
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:21:31 PM »

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
If you are going to shoot a bunch of bullets through the guns at each session you need a bullet that carries a lot of lube.  If you don't use a lot of lube the guns will foul out very quickly.  You should also consider getting a multiple cavity mold.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com