Author Topic: Where to sell guns  (Read 953 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Where to sell guns
« on: July 12, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
Besides listing on here, where else can someone legally sell a gun? There has been no response here in the classifieds.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
Re: Where to sell guns
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 01:07:27 PM »
Well, there's gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com .  Probably some others like that.  I've never sold guns online so not sure how easy it is to start up with that.  If you are a SASS member, you can sell on the Wire classifieds.  Also see if you have any local gun stores that can put it on consignment.

CAS clubs around here send emails to members as reminders of monthly matches and such.  They also send out emails to the members when someone has stuff for sale, so see if any clubs near you do that.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
I have purchased on Gun Broker, but never sold.
I've been lucky though; I've managed to get a fair price and most importantly actually get the piece.
 Sadly, I just don't recommend Gun Broker any longer.  :-X

But to your question, consign to a known LGS preferably one both local to you or one you frequent.
 I've done quite well, and sold more than few this way.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:53:01 AM »

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 06:44:07 PM »
LGS?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 07:45:02 PM »
Legal Gun Store...  Most LGS will consign your firearm and expect a 10 -15% commission.
My local shop adds his markup to my asking price. 

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 07:14:22 AM »
I've had good luck with all those methods.  Face to face local is best, as you don't lose anything to anyone else's cut.  I've also sold on Gunbroker, which worked fine.  Of course, you always have to go through a dealer on at least one end.  Always remember, too, that what you have to sell is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay, regardless of what YOU paid for it or think it's worth.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 07:49:58 AM »

:) Ah Well . . . .

I always thought "LGS" was "local Gun Store??"  Ummmmm??  ;)

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 09:40:32 AM »
:) Ah Well . . . .

I always thought "LGS" was "local Gun Store??"  Ummmmm??  ;)

Some say,  Tomato  some say Twomato   :)  either works

My Guy adds his % over my asking, he does all the legalities, calls me and say's he has money for me.

On occasion, I have been called with an offer to lower my asking....
 that is when  Niederlander's comment kicks in,
" it's worth whatever someone else is willing to pay, regardless of what YOU paid for it or think it's worth."

That is then, the dilemma,  :-\  to sell or not to sell, that is the question (paraphrasing Shakespear)

BTW- I have also purchased consigned pieces there, I always haggle  ;)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 09:02:40 PM »
As to Pappy's original question, the same issue comes up when trying to buy a gun.  (Not "I want to buy a gun, someone take my money" but when looking for something specific.)  Forums like CAS City or the SASS list have a rather limited pool of potential buyers/sellers.  If you have a specific gun for sale (or are looking for a specific gun) it may well be that no one is looking for (or to sell) that specific gun. 

And you have to wade through the dross.  "Would you trade for X?"  "Have you tried Buckeye Bob?  He might have one" (but never telling how to contact "Buckeye Bob"), plus all the friendly and oh-so-helpful discussion about the gun you should be selling ("I'd take it if it was a Remington, in a different caliber") or buying ("You really should try a Whatever, it works for me").

I gave up, and while I still watch the classifieds here I mostly shop on Gunbroker--but that isn't a lot better.  From what I can tell, most of the sellers have NO IDEA what they are selling.  The use of "stock pictures" and the lack of use of catalog numbers just makes it worse.  I've spent the price of a decent revolver just on return shipping and "re-stocking fees" from folks who couldn't describe the gun they had in hand. 

So if you're going to try Gunbroker or one of the auction forums (even if you have a local gun store list it for you on commission) make sure the listing includes good pictures, the catalog number, and a description that doesn't read like it was written by some idiot with a hangover.  That might be enough to get you more bids, and help find an honest seller. 

(I'm still laughing over the clueless fool who listed a 7-shot Remington .44 caliber "1851 Navy".  But he ticked all the bases, even if it was a repro Starr. . . . )
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 08:28:42 PM »
Besides listing on here, where else can someone legally sell a gun? There has been no response here in the classifieds.

SASS Wire.
Gunbroker
Guns America
Local Forums
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Jeff Michel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 06:44:43 AM »
Guns International, same as Gunbroker without the surcharge and they aren't doing tax, lot of private sellers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com