Author Topic: Just started casting working on 255 gr semi wad .455 for New Service  (Read 1788 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Tomorrow will cast some .455 bullets for my new service 45 LC that started life as a 455 Webley.  Plan on loading them to M1909 Cartidge specs approx 725 FPS and pan lubing as cast with a 1:1:1 mix of bee's wax, gulf canning wax and mutton tallow with 5 regular kitchen tablespoons of Olive oil and a heaping tablespoon of lanolin.  Regular kitchen vs actual measuring spoon.  Hope to hit the range with the beast thursday or friday.  By the way using the Saeco 452 mold that is the bullet number not the diameter.  Will cast a bunch using Wheel Weights (clip on) If they shoot fine will continue down that path.  If not will try a 50 50 mix Wheel Weights and Range Lead or pure lead depending on what I have on hand.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Just started casting working on 255 gr semi wad .455 for New Service
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »
Went to the range, the old beast shot much tighter with the .455, 255 gr Bullets  and appears to shoot to point of aim at 25 yards at approx 730-750.  If one can call a pie plate sized group centered at point of aim shooting there unto. 
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
If you were shooting offhand, any pie plate, paper plate, or milk jug MOA is good shooting when it comes to a defensive size grouping. Most of my handgun shooting is off hand point shooting, slow deliberate aim, double action, double taps, sometimes all six as fast as I can thumb the trigger back or double action them (single and double actions). Do singles, doubles or a magazine full with auto's. Practice and shoot all forms. Don't do very much bench shooting with a handgun, just prefer various offhand styles, esp combat style shooting. Use to shoot PPC early on in police career, but switched over to a Practical Combat Course later on. More realistic for police work and enjoyed it more. If I can cover shots with my hand at 25 yards, be happy, the pie plate, paper plate, milk jug MOA's work just fine. ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:15 PM »
Sounds like you?ve got the old warhorse figured out. I?ve got one that was also rebored to .45lc and was engraved with an officers name and unit. Capt HR Fenner Royal Berks [short for Berkshires]. I bumped into a guy at the NE Regional who was a military researcher, I told him about my named NS and he did some digging for me. Turned out this HR Fenner was living on Figi where his father ran a sugar cane plantation when the war started. Why anyone would leave paradise for the hell of WW1 I?ll never know. He went to England and enlisted. He got wounded early on and when he was healed up he went back to the front. This time he was shot in the head, survived his injuries but spent the rest of the war in a German pow camp. When the war was over he stayed in England, married but had no kids. His 3 brothers went to Australia and joined the Royal Lighthorse. They survived the war too. I wish these old .455s could talk.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com