Author Topic: 2009 Old Armies  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Cimarron Lawman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2009 Old Armies
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
It would appear that Ruger made some Old Armies this year. Yay!

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,29735.0.html

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
Re: 2009 Old Armies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:37:59 AM »
I don't know whether they actually made new ones or just cleared supplies of frames, Bbls, etc out (clean up guns).

I got a pir of 5.5" SS Old Armies with open sights. They are nicely finished, have rosewood grips and red ruger medallions on the grips. They are sweet!

The big shop interstate that was selling them also had 44/40 cylinders and Old Model Vaqueros in 44Mag and also with spare 44/40 Cylinders, including consecutively numbered guns.

My ROAs had consecutive serial numbers and were $AU895, which is good as the ROAs were well over $AU900 before.

All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Brizco-Z

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #29162
    • http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Pards,

About a year ago, I sent a response to Ruger on their website for "Ask a Question or Make a Comment", something like that.  My question was, with the discontinued Ruger Old Army, and the increased demand for a firearm of this type, were they thinking of something to replace it or start back into manufacturing the Old Army.  The respondent from Ruger said NO.  No interest by Ruger to make something to replace the Old Army or to start back up with the product

I personally would love to see the Old Army back on the market.  I think somebody is missing a mighty good product line here.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone displeased with an Old Army.

Brizco-Z
NRA  SASS - RO II, RATS, STORM & SCORRS
Old Scout & Order of the Arrow
DARKSIDER by Choice, VIRGINIAN by the Grace of God
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Brizco-Z/

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:51:53 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 06:03:15 AM »
Brisco:

I'd sure like to see Ruger come back with that open comment/suggestion letter thing again.
And yes, the Old Armies ARE the the best-built BP six-gun made.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »
I suppose it is a business after all. Cheap revolvers, especially with a big brand name would walk out the door. They mightn't make much money on each, but it would spread the brand and new, previously unreachable customers. At least thats my interpretation on it, maybe way off base.

Given that, I can't understand dropping the ROA. I don't know about the States, but they hardly hit the shops here and they are sold out.

Anyways, I'm pleased that I have a set of 5.5" opensighted guns now and am thinking about buying a near new 7.5" Target sighted one. I'll sell the old thumbuster Texan then.

Then I have to set down and work out what are going to be my main match guns. I have four sets of guns to choose from, he ROAs, RNMVs in 45, Tuned Piettas in 44WCF and USAFs in 44 Special. I have dazzled myself with science and retail therapy!

I will probably sell off some of them and buy myself a genuine Colt45. Trouble is, if I sold off the Piettas and the NMVs and got a good price for them (not always achievable, especially in a country that requires a special license for cals over 38), I would still have to add $AU8-900 to it. The Colts are $AU3400 odd here! Probably should buy a second hand one, but I would like my very own Colt45. Close me eyes and pay the man time I thnk.

Whatever happens, I feel the ROA will be playing a big part in my cowboy shooting in the future! They are very impressive guns!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
I bought TWO 5 1/2' barreled SS Ruger old Armys for $400 ... that was with ammo, reloading supples et al ... but to be honest, I think (no, I KNOW) that I was getting a sweetheart deal from a person who was leaving SASS

IMHO, here is what I have done in the past when faced with a very similar situraion .... I have given him what he wanted with the proviso that he can buy the pistols back at any time for the same price. That way I didin't have to worry about whether my bartering skills kept food from his table, and he knew that if he charged an exhorbitant amount he would never be able to buy them back ...

Just an idea ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
here is what I have done in the past when faced with a very similar situraion .... I have given him what he wanted with the proviso that he can buy the pistols back at any time for the same price. That way I didin't have to worry about whether my martering skills kept food from his table, and he knew that if he charged an exhorbitant amount he would never be able to buy them back ...

Ah Mear Dear Wadd -
That is a superb solution to a difficult Moral Dilemma!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
Coming from anyone that would be quite a complement, but from you professor, that is summa cum laude

Thank you! ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
Coming from anyone that would be quite a complement, but from you professor, that is summa cum laude

Thank you! ...

Ah My Dear Wadd -
I gladly offer praise where it is due, rather than to your humble  scribbler,  :-) Yours is a grand solution that I will remember!
But you are causing my head to swell and I shall not be able to fit my hats until I screw up in the kitchen and She Who Must be Obeyed can properly deflate my cranium (and ego!) .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:01:16 AM »
Rumpole of the Bailey was one of my favorite Brit comedies .... even tho' it was shown on Mystery Theater out here ...
His relationship with his wife was one of the great point/counterpoints of the show ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »
I agree. that's a great idea. I still need a general idea of what is fair though.

Thank you both.
Greetings My Dear Murphy -

looking a gunbroker and the SASS site I see the same numbers as you - with that in mind I would look at what they seem to have sold for , average it out  and then apply Wadd's Rule.

hope that helps
yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
Used ROAs are just like anything else.  They are worth what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.  There is a definite hierarchy in prices on the ROAs.  From most expensive (i.e., most desirable) to least is basically as follows: 

1.  5 1/2"  Stainless fixed sight
2.  5 1/2"  Blue fixed sight
3.  7 1/2"  Stainless fixed sight
4.  7 1/2"  Blue fixed sight
5.  7 1/2" adjustable sight blue or stainless

It should be noted there were no 5 1/2" adjustable sight models.  For the 5 1/2" models I would be "interested" in either at $400.00.  I would have absolutely no interest at $700.00.  Asking for and getting are two different things.  Most of the time you see new or like new 5 1/2" models selling at $500 to $550.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 01:25:01 AM »
Murphy.

I think what you are giving him is hope. Hope that the economy will spring back, hope that his income will reappear ... any gun is a sellers market now ... the Ruger Old Army is a bastion, but the worth still might be affected by the ecomomy ... but this is definitely a time to buy weapons!

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com