Author Topic: Sunday Holster  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Sunday Holster
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2023, 10:21:38 PM »
Very good. When you do make one/them, please post photos back here for us photo junkies to drool over.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline BrushyCreekDouglas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2023, 08:30:49 PM »
Here was the test holster for my SAA “Brill” pattern. It’s not an exact copy of a brill, I rivet the loop to the fender for example. It is  more so a mix of a brill and the Myres “brill” style holster. Pardon my horrid basket stamping, this is probably my third attempt at basket stamping a holster. These are very functional and attractive holsters, but when you’re hand stitching like I am, it is a bit of a challenge, but I enjoy every day in the leather shop. Hope all of y’all are doing well!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2023, 11:38:16 PM »
I won't hold a rivet or two against anyone. That looks great! Thanks for the photos.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:37:50 AM »

Offline Tronicst1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2023, 01:09:15 PM »
This would be my Sunday Holster.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2023, 05:40:17 PM »
Hi
The Brill / Lone Star holsters are well regarded, BUT they don't cover the trigger guard.  Many (I'd say most, but I didn't count) of El Paso Saddlery holsters for the 1911 have the trigger covered.  The Brill holsters (again I didn't count) revolver holsters seem to have the trigger guard uncovered.  What is the preferred design for Concealed Carry with respect to covering the trigger?  Why or Why not?

I DO understand one reason based on things I've seen but thankfully not experienced.  Re-holstering into a holster with an exposed trigger would seem to be a more safe experience.  This is based on a friend re-holstering an automatic into an appendix carry holster with a covered trigger, and shot himself in the butt. 

I came up with the question here so I posted it here, but starting a new thread for his won't hurt my sense of Self Worth...   ;D

Later Y'all
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2023, 04:10:29 PM »
For the 1911, the Brill doesn't cover the trigger (it covers the guard, but is cut away to access the trigger).  Same with the revolvers: the triggerguard is used to position the gun, and to retain the gun in place, but the trigger is exposed.  The Brill was designed in a different time, for a different target market.  It wasn't designed so much a "concealment" holster as a less-obvious holster for folks who were intended/required to be armed (i.e., Rangers and general law enforcement) and expected to need that pistol in a hurry.  They considered the exposed triggerguard an acceptable risk. 

The design is focused on function before concealment. It gave LEOs a functional fighting holster they could cover with a coat when in court. IIRC, at the time it came out/was in production, Texas didn't allow the carrying of pistols by private citizens when off their property. 

Most CC holsters do cover the trigger.  I suspect a big part of this is perceived liability, that if the trigger is exposed and the gun discharged, someone somewhere will argue that the holster designer or maker is liable for the ND.  Part of it also is that times have changed.  Most folks carrying a pistol today do so in case it is needed, rather than with the expectation that it will be needed.   
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2023, 04:40:10 PM »
I have yet to see a photo of a Brill that covers the triggerguard on a Colt SAA or DA or a Smith DA. Those do cover the frame ahead of the triggerguard which will position the pistol. The only Brill models I know of that cover the triggerguard are for a 1911.

Offline A. Neale Rabensburg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »
Here's a photo of a genuine Brill I downloaded and posted for reference here. Although you don't see a lot of it, there is a full skirt behind the pouch.

I am going through cascity.com for the first time and want to offer a comment or two.  Some of these holsters do interest me, and I may have communicated with you or others on this thread on other forums as well.  This A. W. Brill marked holster was made after September 1932 by N. J. Rabensburg.  He made Brill holsters until his death in 1961.

A. Neale Rabensburg, Grandson

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2023, 11:45:03 PM »
I am going through cascity.com for the first time and want to offer a comment or two.  Some of these holsters do interest me, and I may have communicated with you or others on this thread on other forums as well.  This A. W. Brill marked holster was made after September 1932 by N. J. Rabensburg.  He made Brill holsters until his death in 1961.

Now, how cool is that? It's good to hear from someone related to the maker. Thanks for that additional information. Hopefully you will continue to post more on the forum. Do you have any personal photos that would give us more of a feel for your Grandfather and his work? His work is certainly historic stuff.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2023, 09:12:04 AM »

Very cool indeed. The Brill holster made by the various makers are some of the most appearling holsters to me. Very well done. Hope you will continue to post here and would love to see any historic photos you may have of your grandfather or his work.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2023, 08:28:10 AM »
Glad to see this thread getting some legs!

The Sunday scabbard was designed at a time when the Texas Rangers were coming off the ranges and ranches and spending more time in towns and cities, specifically Austin.  The genteel folk did NOT like seeing the gunbelts and ammunition belts and requested (required?) they be not worn.  Ranger Hughes met with a local saddler and discussed what he wanted in a holster, light weight, petite, and worn on the then new trousers belt, not a separate gun belt. He had a specific design in mind and apparently traveled about and had more than a few saddlers making this style of holster. 

They were designed to be worn hidden under a vest of jacket, the trigger was exposed because it did not need to be covered. 

They were designed to hold the handgun securely by jamming the welt against the frame and yet a slight tug freed it to present. 

A very good design then, and now.

The holsters were also specific to a revolver.  Most were built for fixed sighted revolvers and jamming an adjustable sighted revolver into one will cause a lot of harm.  Although, oddly enough, a holster built for a 4” N frame will also accept a 1911 quite nicely.

Kevin
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2023, 08:41:18 AM »

:) Opportunity  ;)

Once had the opportunity to visit the Texas Ranger Museum.  Some of the most impressive and finest Gun Leather I have ever seen.  Absolutely superb!!

Offline BrushyCreekDouglas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2023, 03:45:35 PM »
Just finished another “Brill” tribute holster for a customer. I enjoy making these, but man alive this particular style of holster is one of the most time consuming and tedious rigs I do. I would’ve loved to have sat in the shop with Mr. Rabensburg and learned how in the world he did such beautiful work on such a complex design.

Truly, in the beginning Brill was king.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2023, 06:52:09 PM »
Double thumbs up to this one. Looks great. I like the smaller basket weave on them, too.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2023, 09:38:36 AM »
Double thumbs up to this one. Looks great. I like the smaller basket weave on them, too.

Agree with you on this. The smaller Basket Weave on them look so nice. Very time consuming though.

Good looking holster BCD
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2023, 03:52:33 PM »
Nice job, Brushy.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2023, 10:16:37 AM »
Very nice holster with fresh, clean lines.  A classic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com