Author Topic: Savage Navy  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Savage Navy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
They are neat guns.  Here is another video by the guy from (I think) the Czech Republic.  I alwsays like his videos because he shoots the original guns.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:14:18 AM »
Thank you both for these videos.
I have now a greater respect for the Savage North revolver.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:24:06 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
It is known (verified) that Lt. Fred. H. Beecher (KIA Beecher Island, Sept 1867) owned a Savage Navy Ring Cocker during the CW. The whereabouts of his holster and belt are known, and verified by a letter written by his two nephews in the 1940's.  Unfortunately, they sold the gun, itself, back then.  :(  The holster is a full-flap military style, but would swallow a M1860 Colts or Remington with room to spare. But another Savage fits like a glove, even to the indentation where the hammer contacts the flap!  Beecher, by the letters he wrote to his brother prior to Fred's death, indicate he owned a Hawken, and several other guns, in addition to being issued a M1860 Colt's Army. He also asked his brother to send him a Henry repeating rifle! As one of those was known to have been at the Beecher Island battle, it may well have been his, given to Scout Pierre Trudeau before the latter went for help! I saw a Slocum revolver and a writing desk at a gun show many years ago, but couldn't afford them at the time.

BTW, today is the anniversary of both the Battle of Breed's (Bunker) Hill and the Rosebud Battle.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
Here are a couiple of more interesting Civil War handguns.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com