Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Shotguns

Roll Crimp for an '87?

(1/3) > >>

Reverend P. Babcock Chase:
Howdy Shotgunners,

Has any one else turned to roll crimped shells to make a recalcitrant '87 to eject and feed reliably? I've made myself a couple of boxes and am just waiting to try them at a match. I tried a pair of AA's and STS's and they seemed to do the trick.

I'd welcome any comments and advise from any cowboys that have already been down this trail.

Rev. Chase

Cap'n Redneck:
Is Your -87 an original Winchester, a Norinco or an ArmiSport/Chiappa?

I have an original and a Norinco, and I've found that they are picky both when it comes to overall length of the fired shell, and the required "firmness" of the tip of the fired shell.
For me all-brass shells work the best.
Roll-crimped paper-shells work okay.
With star-crimped or roll-crimped plastic-shells I have to expect that a high percentage of the shells will stick between the extractor claws and have to be brushed off rather than falling free by themselves.

Howdy Cat.

I have a Norinco. I have had problems with the star crimped shells. STS's work better than AA's, but based on my (exhaustive) four shell test, the roll crimped work much better than the star crimped shells. I still haven't had a chance to run a box of shells through the gun. When I finally get that done, I will report my findings.

Rev. Chase

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:) Hi Guys  ;)

Just a little something to think about with the 1887.  The 1887 action was originally designed for Two and a Half inch hulls, Roll Crimped, or for Two and a Half inch All Brass hulls.  Just a thought.

Howdy Coffin,

You are absolutely correct. That was why I started to experiment with roll crimping.

Rev. Chase

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version