Author Topic: Lots of Henry's and a lot more 66's  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lots of Henry's and a lot more 66's
« on: July 19, 2020, 09:53:23 PM »
My girlfriend and I went on a road trip to Yellowstone last week and  stopped through Cody on our way. Mainly for a trip to the firearms museum but we also did some shopping on the strip. While out shopping Friday night I noticed a flyer in a shop window for a 45th annual gunshow with 330 tables of Winchester and Sharps collectors to be present. Needless to say I had to go.
Although the venue wasnt overly large compared to some of the shows I go to locally (usually 500 tables or more) the quality of firearms to look at was superb. There was hardly any newer stuff, near zero. Almost everything was "old west" oriented and I have never seen so many Henry's in one place, and that includes the Cody museum I went to later that day. I know there had to be at least 30 to 40 Henry's present and probably double that of 1866 models. What impressed me most was the number of engraved guns present and the fact that I spotted at least two 1st model 1866's a rifle and a carbine. Needless to say almost everything was for sale but way out of my price range. I spotted a 1866 carbine in the $3000 range all the way up to a $98000 factory engraved Henry. The only thing I did not see there was aN Iron frame Henry which I made up for later at the Cody museum. I'm pretty sure it's the same one in my Madis book with the blotch on the side of the frame and the 1866 rifle engraved for the Philadelphia exposition that is seen in other known Winchester books. Not to mention all the guns with provenance to Cody himself, Annie Oakley, Hickock, Teddy Roosevelt, and Zane Gray.
Needless to say the day was awesome at both places and I had a bit of sensory overload with everything there was to see. I just needed to share.

I recommend going by Cody if you ever are going to Yellowstone and if you can catch it on a gunshow weekend, even better.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Lots of Henry's and a lot more 66's
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 10:40:13 PM »
The Winchester Gun Show at Cody is an every other year thing for me.  They have awesome early guns for sale.  The Cody museum is great, but I think it was much better before the update this year.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
I knew they had remodeld since the last time I had been there in 2003. To be honest I didnt really notice too much different other than the pullout racks for the long guns. The drawers that I assume were for handguns were all locked up.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:55:06 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 02:50:28 PM »
They changed the entry.  The old entry had a fan of Hawken's, Spencer's, and '66's.  Too bad we did not know who each other were, we might have met at the Gun Show.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
We were headed to the museum but went on a quick drive to find the Riley Arena first. When we got there we decided just to go in then, it was about 9:30ish and wasnt super busy. Hit the museum around lunch time.
Then we hit all the shops in the afternoon,  had dinner at the Trailhead Bar (went to Proud Cut Saloon the night before, it was pretty good) and watched the gunfight at six. I remember that being better. Thoroughly enjoyed Cody though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com