Author Topic: CCW guns  (Read 39073 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CCW guns
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
My goal this year is to get a CCL.   So this is good information for me.

As best I can tell, it is going to require me to have some wardrobe changes (and loosing a few lbs would help too!)

I'm in the same boat-I typically just wear jeans and t-shirt, or polo type shirt for more "dress" occasions, shirt tails tucked in. If I stick with that, I'm pretty limited to an inside waistband tuckable holster. I can forsee that such a rig might get pretty uncomfortable in 90+ degree Missouri humidity. The LCP fits fine in a pocket, but with my jeans, eventually about everything I carry in my pockets starts leaving a "mark" on the material, it's obvious by the wear patterns what I carry in which pocket. Pocket knife right front, cell phone left front...

Ruger LC9 (it think this is the model designation for the 9 mm) or Springfield XDs. 

Yup, LC9 is the 9mm. I have no experience with it, only it's little brother, the LCP. so far, I have had no failures with it, but I haven't shot a lot of rounds through it. It's not what you might call a "fun" gun!

At the very least, I'll get a NAA mini revolver and put it in my front pocket...better to have and not need, than to not have and need!

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
I have put quite a few rounds through an LC9, both FMJ and various self defense HPs and it seems to be a "rugged reliable firearm" as advertised by Ruger. Only slightly larger than the LCP, but I the 9MM is considered a more effective self defense round. That being said there a .45 ACP autos that are only slightly larger that the LC9 with another increase in power. So the choice comes down to most concealable, less bad guy stopping power, and most bad guy stopping power, 500S&W, not as concealable! But as Troy said it's way better to be carrying anything than nuttin! 
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 01:10:01 AM »
3" Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special for CC-

But, we've also had Open Carry for a little over a year now. About the only time I OC is when I'm wearing the rig, working around the place and have to run into town for something. I usually leave it on because I'm too lazy to take it off before I go into the store.

CHT

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:20:17 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
I've fired a Charter Arms "Bull Dog" with the 240 gr .44 Spl. loads that are quite comfortable in my 4" M29.  It was memorable!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
I am a retired California LEO, so I have CCW privileges. For Every Day Carry, I carry a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm.  With the Mag-guts +2 conversion in my mags, I have 10+1 of 9mm, less than 1/4" longer than the factory 8 rounder.  It is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 +P Gold Dot (NYPD load) for about 360 ft lbs ME, even from the short barrel. 

I retired my CZ 83 and Bersa 380 when I switched to the Shield.  It is so compact and light, I forget I am waring it in a leather IWB holster.  I also occasionally carry (when I go to LA or SF areas) my trusty Glock 19 (2nd gen) that I have carried since 1994, when I used it as an LEO.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »
I carry a S&W Model 442 airweight in .38 spl.
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »

3" Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special for CC-

Endorsed by the Son of Sam IIRC.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »
I always carried a Commander size 1911, my current one is a Kimber Tac Pro II.  However, since I got old and fat, belt carry can be a problem so I carry a Charter Bulldog 44 in a vest pocket.

Coffinmaker

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
Ruger LCD9s Pro 9mm, fitted with tritium sights.  Depending on clothing, I carry it in a OWB belt holster, conventional shoulder holster or Deepcover linen shoulder harness.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
Today I bought my third S&W .357 2-1/2" snubby, a M19. Companion piece for my other snubby M19 and M66.

I don't live in a country that allows CCWs but I shoot these guns in IDPA. If I COULD carry, one of these would be my constant companion.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
I realize this is a dinosaur of a thread.... :-\ But thinking this is still relevant.

My taste has changed .I was carrying a S&W Mod.36 or an alternative 2" Model 60

But just a few days ago I acquired a Sig 365 , it was one of those planets align buys.
I am completely gob struck with the compact 10 shot 9mm.
10 rounds of 9MM Luger in a piece smaller than a Glock 43 single stack.
Ergonomics are just right for my hand, and recoil is quite mild because of the fit.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2019, 10:20:40 AM »
Sometimes you just KNOW when it's YOUR gun!
 Congrats on your SIG.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
I carry a S&W M1917. Not exactly ideal for concealed carry, but for me my options are an Uberti SAA with a 7.5" barrel or the Smith, so the Smith it is.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »
Mine is a Keltec P11 9mm, with a belt clip.  It is not fun to shoot, but then I don't shoot it for fun.  Lately I've been open carrying a Glock 19 when I take my late night exercise walks.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »
I realize this is a dinosaur of a thread.... :-\ But thinking this is still relevant.

My taste has changed .I was carrying a S&W Mod.36 or an alternative 2" Model 60

But just a few days ago I acquired a Sig 365 , it was one of those planets align buys.
I am completely gob struck with the compact 10 shot 9mm.
10 rounds of 9MM Luger in a piece smaller than a Glock 43 single stack.
Ergonomics are just right for my hand, and recoil is quite mild because of the fit.

I too switched to a P365 a few months ago. It is a near perfect CCW pistol. It's comfortable to shoot, accurate, easy to control and concealable. I find myself liking it more and more. Now, there have been reports of QC and breakage issues, particularly with early production guns, but mine has been completely reliable. Good choice!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
There's an old saying, "No gun too big to shoot or too small too carry". My preferred carry is a Sig 239 or a SCCY 9mm. Got talked out of a Shield .40 by a cop buddy who needed a BUG.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 09:38:40 PM »
I just got an ATI 1911 last Christmas, and was carrying in a Mexican loop at 3:00. Recently, I made a holster for a fella with the same pistol, based on a pic of a Milt Sparks IWB. I liked the way it came out, and immediately whipped up a second. Not really a fan of IWB holsters, but this one sits nice at 4:00.

Prior to this, I carried a Ruger 44 SBH. And a 357 Uberti Cattleman before that.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2019, 11:43:47 PM »
I too switched to a P365 a few months ago. It is a near perfect CCW pistol. It's comfortable to shoot, accurate, easy to control and concealable. I find myself liking it more and more. Now, there have been reports of QC and breakage issues, particularly with early production guns, but mine has been completely reliable. Good choice!

CC Griff

There were some reports in a small percentage of early guns in early 2018 , issue was centered around the striker breakage, but Sig addressed that with a new striker design by mid 2018. Another was the night sights were not glowing.

Guns made in 2019 have solved the early teething issues... 

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2019, 12:13:26 AM »
I too am not enamored with IWB ...sadly there is precious little extra room inside my belt with me in there too  ::)
Nor do I like tight elastic bands , ankle carry or those crotch pouch things...
that leaves OWB or Pocket carry for me.

I have several DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters I like and just got another for the Sig.  I
also ordered a MY Holster thumb break OWB for the Sig that looks like I'll like.

I considered Sneaky Pete belt boxes, but they are embossed with SP and telegraph to anyone familiar with the thing  :-\
also it is kinda bulky

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
I carry a S&W Model 37 with Pachmeyer grips. I can't get the picture straight on here for some reason!!
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com