CAS TOPICS > Gunsmithing

Frozen trigger screw with a buggered head. Suggestions?

(1/2) > >>

Ironbadger:
As described.
58 remington repro with the trigger screw frozen up good, screw head buggered pretty good to the point where I cannot get a real grip on it with a properly made hollow ground screwdriver.

I've soaked it down for several hours with CLP break free from both ends.
The mainspring screw was also frozen with a good head, and it came loose after a similar soak in break free.

I have so far refrained from either tapping the head gently with a brass hammer, or using a propane torch on low to heat it up to break it loose.

Suggestions?

Open to any good advice before I go to radical solutions.

-Badger-

RRio:
Soldering iron tip on the offending screw head with it being soaked with Kroil Penetrating Oil.

Abilene:
And a 1/4" hand impact driver.

Used to see ads for a bit that would dig into buggered screw heads to get them out.  Not sure how well those work or where to get one.  Good luck.

Advertising:

Ironbadger:
Yeah, I've seen those before.
Made for much larger screws, I'm afraid.

They work by drilling into the screw shaft- not enough meat on the trigger screw shaft to try it.

I may try drilling out the screw shaft if I need to- but thats really a last ditch method, for when all else has failed.

-Badger-

Ironbadger:
I don't have any kroil oil-
But the soldering iron tip is an excellent idea I had not thought of to apply very controlled heat to the head or foot of the screw.
Thanks!

I'll try it later if the overnight oil soak doesn't produce any results.

--- Quote from: RRio on May 05, 2023, 08:07:34 PM ---Soldering iron tip on the offending screw head with it being soaked with Kroil Penetrating Oil.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version