CAS TOPICS > CAS FAQ

Main Match rifles and why...

(1/16) > >>

Marshal Halloway:
Let us help the newcomers with answers to a few of the questions they ask us who have been in this sport for some time.

What is your rifle of choice? Why did you pick the model you are using?

Was it price, looks, authenticity or other specific reasons?

Gus Hall:
I use a Cimarron '66 "yellow boy" with a 24" barrel chambered for .44 Special. Use it 'cause I can shoot .44 Colts through it. (Same as my pair of Richard's conversions) Would kinda prefer a 20" barrel for easier handling around barricades and windows during a match, but this was the only one my dealer had. This loooong rifle looks realy cool though. ;D

Jax Orebetter:
Well, the first 5 years I shot a Winchester '94 in 45Colt. Now some folks will tell you that this rifle isn't a good choice for CAS. I have over 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. Is it the fastest? Nope. Is it the most stylish? Nope. But the price was right when I was getting into this, and I didn't know any better. If I had know then (how many times have we said that in our lives?  ;) ) For about the same money you can get a model '92 and is better suited for CAS use.

THat being said, I now shoot a Uberti Winchester '73 45 Colt with a 24" bbl. How many other guns have a movie named after them?  ;D

Advertising:

Marshal Halloway:

--- Quote from: Jax Orebetter on September 28, 2005, 10:54:11 PM ---Now some folks will tell you that this rifle isn't a good choice for CAS. I have over 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. Is it the fastest? Nope. Is it the most stylish? Nope.
--- End quote ---

I bought a Winchester 94 Trails End from Har Trigger back in 1998 and I have no idea how many rounds I put through that rifle before I sold it to a police officer in Norway earlier this year. It never failed me the 6-7 years I used it. Solid and reliable.

What is my choice now? A Winchester 94, believe it or not.

As Jax said, it is not the fastest, but it is a solid rifle for a good price and I just like it. Yes, it needs some firm treatment when you cycle the action and I have to say that it is probably not the very best choice for a newcomer who wants to be fast shooter in a short time. But if money is one of the arguments to get started or not, this 500 dollar rifle is an option for CAS.

And since I am kind of stuck in the 1890's, I don't complain over authenticity either, even though the rifle is in .45 Colt.

Doc Shapiro:
Navy Arms '73.  20 inch barrel, straight stock.  It just fits.  That's all.

Doc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version