Author Topic: 2018 GAF Grand Muster AAR  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
2018 GAF Grand Muster AAR
« on: July 16, 2018, 04:52:20 AM »
10, July 1898 (+120)

To: The ladies and gentlemen of the GAF at large
Copies to: (Bvt.) Major General U. S. Scout (Ret.),
(Bvt.) Col. Drydock Chief of Staff,
(Bvt. ) Col. Dusty Tagalon Adjutant ,

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have the honor to submit my report following the 2018 Grand Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier

By Monday afternoon I had completed the mowing and most of my other preparations Tuesday Silver Creek Slim and Micah and I traveled to nearby Ord to retrieve the targets. By Afternoon most of the rest of the staff had arrived and we finished placing the targets. Wednesday was spent checking toilet paper, installing shade, finishing the shoot house, placing benches and tables, ect. Thursday, Quickfire, Broken Nose Scotty, Lt. Col. Silver Creek Slim, Lt. Col. Ned Neiderlander, Col. Drydock Col. Sagebrush Burns, Dr. DeMentos, Hawkeye Hefner, Capt. Dan Blodgett, Whiskey Double, Lt. Col. Don Long and myself shot the main match stages to ensure that everything was set up correctly and so that we could RO the stages once the main match commenced.

Our mess consisted of 39 shooting participants excluding camp followers.
Also present were River City John and the Yuma City Kid acting as the sutlers.

Friday morning operations commenced with the Expansion Era Match side matches.

The Main match used the same skirmish format as the Expansion Era Match did. All of the stages this year commemorated the 120th anniversary of The Spanish-American War.  

Saturday evening we retired to The Comstock Lodge for the banquet. The Ladies and the men seemed to quite enjoy the facilities. While there, door prizes were awarded. During the banquet a strong thunderstorm came up complete with heavy rain. This precluded most campers from returning to the camp site. Those unable to complete the trek up the hill slept in their vehicles, our camper and on our couches.

Sunday morning I totaled the scores and medals and certificates were awarded to the Ladies and the men. With the muddy trail to the camp site and the inability of wagons to traverse it, the awards ceremony was held in the yard of my quarters. Following the awards ceremony my staff and members of my Council of War met to evaluate the Muster and discuss possible improvements in equipment, logistics and execution.

Hawkeye Hefner received the Iron Trooper as the Brigade Champion.

The Stu Kettle Memorial Gun Shoot Thingy Award was won by Col. Drydock  for having the lowest total time.

Nebraska Won the Division Plate award for the Grand Muster Division Challenge.

Here I should thank a number of people: The Broken Bow Lions Club for sponsoring the insurance; Lt. Col. Ned Neiderlander, his efforts building camp equipage, Targets and props. Col. Drydock, Cpl Broken Nose Scotty, Ned Niederlander, Quickfire, Silver Creek Slim and Micah, Sagebrush Burns, Dr. Dementos, Capt. Dan Blodgett, Hawkeye Hefner, Whiskey Double, and Lt. Col. Long  all of whom arrived early for arriving early and helped set up and shot the match on Thursday so that they could RO the match for participants. Ira Scott and Hakeye Hefner for donating the use of a “Mule” for moving participants between the stages. And finally Capt. Delmonico.

Evaluation of the Muster is ongoing, but the consensus is that the format is optimal but improvements can and will yet be made.

I request that participants of this match place their report in this thread as well.

Scores will follow.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: 2018 GAF Grand Muster AAR
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
That's a surprise!  Sure hope somebody saved me a shot up range prop.  (The EEM Maxim gun took a beating I believe,  someone shot it with buckshot!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ordnance report:

Weapon evaluations are always ongoing, but it appears the slightly altered drill structure worked well.  I am more and more convinced that weapon design is of far lesser importance than practice with whatever weapon system chosen.  

General observations:

With repeaters, the ability to recharge the magazine while in movement is paramount.  A well practiced simplicity of drill for Breechloaders often seems to compensate for lack of a magazine.  Proper accouterments suitable to each weapon are rather more important than one might think.  More advantage needs to taken to rest the rifle when possible.  

A man with a single shot that hits is faster than one missing with a repeater!

Specifics:

This year I personally evaluated the 1895 Winchester: More capable than originally thought, but the complexity of the loading process makes it unsuitable for general issue.  General Arthur MacArthur was right.  

Observation:

A Snider makes impressive holes in things!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »
Scores attached

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:03:50 AM »

Offline Whiskey Double

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 853
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:10:33 AM »
Col. Drydock Sir

I might have put the first holes in ( 5 double 00 buck ) but the rifles did a lot more damage than I.  I was working that stage in the PM, can't remember who shot the barrel off of the EEM maxim gum.    ;D

WD
Whiskey Double      GAF 853    Major, Chief of Staff  Div. of Iowa
NRA  life Endowment
SCI
NTA
DU
RMEF

Offline Whiskey Double

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:12:34 AM »
Col. Sir

You're lucky I was shooting the 450NE Double rifle. ;D

WD
NRA  life Endowment
SCI
NTA
DU
RMEF

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
Sirs,  I would like to say that I consider it a privilege to spend a few days during the last week in June with such a great, (interesting) group of people,  in the wilds of central Nebraska!  This has certainly become my favorite shooting event of the year. The hard work, imagination and dedication that makes this event a reality is much appreciated!

Cpl. Deviated Septum Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
Many thanks for getting the scores posted.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 06:41:28 AM »
I neglected to mention in my report an observation I made while ROing the stage at Kettle Hill. I had the opportunity to witness the finest example of the spirit of our game I have yet seen.

While negotiating the above mentioned stage Kit Peak Kid realized he had a loose screw on his rifle. (most of us have a loose screw somewhere, but that's a story for a different time :D ) Anyway, rather than throwing his hands up and declaring that he'd be unable to complete the stage Kit coolly reached into his McKeever cartridge box and retrieved his original Trapdoor screwdriver, and with a few quick turns had retightened the offending screw. I couldn't but admire this soldier's coolness under pressure, and at the same time wonder how many times one might see this in a IPSC or 3-gun stage. It also made me wonder how many others have thought to equip themselves with the original tools that would allow them to maintain their firearms during a stage? During battle one doesn't say, "Oh, stop shooting at me fellows. My gun just broke." Rather, one must do whatever is necessary to complete the job at hand!

Thank you Kit Peak Kid for the opportunity to watch such a fine example of what this game is about.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
Many thanks for getting the scores posted.
DITTO!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Whiskey Double

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »
Like a good boy scout , he was prepared !!!

WD
NRA  life Endowment
SCI
NTA
DU
RMEF

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
Thanks for posting the stage times Jerry. I always like to look over the shoot stats. Being only 1 of 3 shooters using a '95 Winchester lever gun in Smokeless Military Regular category during the main match I wanted to see how I ranked against Chuck and Dale. A damn solid 3rd. And proud of it too! But, I was amazed to see that Chuck shot the first stage in 51.25 seconds. Wow that's really fast especially against those Krag bolt guns. Everyone else was in the 100, 200, 300 plus range. Maybe I've already answered my own question Jerry. Who was operating the timer?
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »
Who was operating the timer?
:D Oh, Johnson Barr. You did already answer it, and Chuck believes that the timer did indeed miss several of his last few shots. However; be that as it may, I am sorry to report that you will still find yourself in a "solid" 3rd place.  ;) Even adding back the time for the time that that shot timer missed, Drydock was still faster than everyone else in the match. At least this time "my" mistake didn't change any standings.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »
Nothing is slicker than shooting an 1895 Winchester.  And nothing is more painful to load on the clock, than the 1895 Winchester.  You have to walk, chew gum, rub your belly and pat your head while holding up your pants . . .  ::)

I would add, none of us realized at the time that the timer had missed those shots.  It was only much later when the scores were tabulated that the mistake became apparent.  Far too late for a reshoot.  Fortunate that Slims Video caught it all, and we could estimate the missed time.  Turned out it was still a great run, with plenty of margin for our foolishness . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »
More of a continuing poke at my friend Jerry that goes back to my first trip to Fort Jerry four years ago. Shot the first stage 3 times. Chuck took over the stop watch on my third try and Bob's yer Uncle! My pard Bryan Buck donated the new timers the next year but, there always is that pesky 'operator error' issue. Most likely the operator covered the mic/pick-up with his fingers cutting off the shots fired. Don't ask me how I know. Matters not. I shoot for fun these days and to give grief to my friends. No pink Cadillac for me.

On that note I had my personal best year on the hill. At long range my '95 Winchester carbine finally walked its way out to 300 yards with two hits before ammo ran out. I also enjoyed the paper targets on each of the 3 skirmish stages. On the Crab Stage I tagged the 9 ring on the crossing target. At the Shack I was able to generate a 29X with 1.2" spread. Nice! Down in Hell Hole the wig-wag took a heart shot just left of center. A good day for dwindling eye sight and chronic arthritis. More fun and games next year gents!     
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
No Offense taken, I deserve all the fun poking I receive. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com